IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Tricky said:

For what it's worth, I have sympathy for her - yes, she is outspoken, but it is clear to me that this is due to the amount of upset she has endured, and that can be very difficult for someone to move on from, even moreso when a situation is still very much ongoing. 

A very poor excuse Roxanne but all you doomers stick up for each other like hyenas feeding off bad news. You’ve tried the victim card thing before with this woman. What she said was (is) disgusting. She has no credibility left. 

• Like 1

I think she just needs to be quiet.  Nobody asked her to comment and speculate on somebody else’s death for her own good.  

If my grandfather died and she was using it as a means to score “points” I would be fuming and would look at what matters of recourse I have.  Luckily for her I don’t have any lawyers in my family…mr Quinn though on the other hand….

The saying “if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all” comes to mind.  This feels like one of those times keeping your own council would be wise.

RIP Mr Quinn my condolences to the family including his grandchildren at this terrible time 

• Like 8

Just now, Roxanne said:

I don’t think many of us thought of it before. We are of a generation who just got on with it. Staying home ‘with a cold’ was almost a declaration of weakness. A cultural dilemma that now, due to the pandemic will almost certainly lose its traction. 

Yes, but there are rumblings about the downside to immune systems by protecting ourselves against every passing infection.  Not that I would have gone to work if suffering, but a slight sniffle I would. It is a hard one isn't it?  We did things naturally and intuitively (which is where Ramseyboi is coming from, I think) but now who knows what the longer term impact on immunity will be?

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, she did, but ended it with a question to IOMG about the cause.  So what was the motivation to post in the first place?  To offer condolences or to provide a justification for asking the question?

I think she has been treated very badly, but she really needs to be sure that she is not making the shift from victim to offender, as these tweets are a very short step away from her taking on that role.  Quite offensive to the family to have this speculation around a time of what must be a shocking loss. 

To clarify, i'm not condoning her question re the cause of death - very hurtful for the family. I am expressing disappointment in that the dispute has degraded to the degree it has, and the ongoing  ill's the are derived from this situation.

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

Just now, Tricky said:

To clarify, i'm not condoning her question re the cause of death - very hurtful for the family. I am expressing disappointment in that the dispute has degraded to the degree it has, and the ill's the are derived from this situation.

Not arguing with you at all, just gobsmacked at how insensitive and self-obsessed she is appearing to be.  

My condolences to the Quinn family irrespective of cause of death it must be an awful shock at a rotten time of year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t think now is the time to speculate. I’m sure all will come out in time

as the self appointed official timekeeper please let us know when it is time to speculate please,  FYI , i think people have been speculating about covid for over 18 months, this thread being a prime example of such.

Edited by WTF

30 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Then perhaps the PR bods in the IOMG who are supposed to be highly experienced and highly paid, would have had the intelligence and the foresight, along with common sense to do a press release that doesn’t lead to speculation or open to interpretation. 

You can see why families don't want it advertised that someone died of Covid, as there would be plenty here and elsewhere reassuring us that it didn't matter because they would have died anyway.

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of PR professionals to come up with phrasing that makes it clear that it wasn't Covid - assuming it wasn't.

22 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’m astounded that a proper scientist is suggesting government make policy based on one data point. 

I'm sorry, but one thing that the last two years have taught us is that governments can decide policy on all sorts of irrational grounds, usually based on zero data points.

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

When I first heard the news, my first conclusion wasn't Covid; it could be heart, stroke, cancer amongst many other things.  In fact, I made no connection to Covid. 

I did but only because of the phrasing they used.  A heart attack or stroke would normally be described as 'suddenly', cancer would normally be a longer-term thing.

It's worth pointing out that what someone died of isn't a 'private' matter - or at least the cause(s) of death as appearing on the death certificate isn't.  Though of course that may not be available for some time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No sorry.  It is just an appalling post and no back peddling will fix that.

Upset endured? She is a middle aged person who has lost a parent.  Most people lose parents before they hit her age.  I lost one when I was 16.  She needs to grow up

Ramsey - I think you may have misinterpreted my point. Re the upset caused, I was not referring to her losing parent (which I have also endured just a few months ago). I was referring to the ongoing spat between her and the gov, which has clearly caused her a significant degree of upset. That issue needs to be resolved so everyone involved can move on, without feeling the need to resort to such ill considered comments in future, particularly surrounding such sensitive issues.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I know of a death early december with covid on the death certificate. Still not appeared as a death on our figures

To be fair the last figures were published on 23 December and the last death (from any cause) shown there is on 15 December.  So even the usual delay in registration might mean some were missing from early December.

But the truth is that the government only have themselves to blame, because when it was pointed out that their death figures didn't the certificates, rather than explaining why this happened, they simply stopped reporting anything except the certificate numbers which are around a month in arrears and this allows speculation to flourish.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can see why families don't want it advertised that someone died of Covid, as there would be plenty here and elsewhere reassuring us that it didn't matter because they would have died anyway.

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of PR professionals to come up with phrasing that makes it clear that it wasn't Covid - assuming it wasn't.

I'm sorry, but one thing that the last two years have taught us is that governments can decide policy on all sorts of irrational grounds, usually based on zero data points.

I did but only because of the phrasing they used.  A heart attack or stroke would normally be described as 'suddenly', cancer would normally be a longer-term thing.

It's worth pointing out that what someone died of isn't a 'private' matter - or at least the cause(s) of death as appearing on the death certificate isn't.  Though of course that may not be available for some time.

No, cause of death isn't a private matter, it is a matter of public record  but you have to go look for it.  There are plenty of deaths "after a short illness" reported, a heart attack can put you in hospital but you eventually succumb.  Cancer too can result in a short hospitalisation before death, particularly if it has remained undiagnosed. 

Obituaries are littered with "suddenly", "after a long battle" and so on.

Regardless, to publicly speculate as she has is unforgivable,  insensitive and may not be accurate.  She alone is responsible for that, not a govt PR person. 

• Like 2