IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

It is a reminder to wear NP2/3 masks in indoor shops at all times to protect yourself. plus stay outdoors as much as possible while the good weather is here

Its not a reminder. There is no advice to wear masks is there?

I won't be wearing a mask unless it becomes mandatory.

Jonathan Van Tam on R4 this morning was very clear in his thoughts on the current covid situation in the UK (and to all intents and purposes, IOM is the same).  Unlike when politicians are interviewed he gave clear and concise answers and made a lot of sense.  He said that thanks to vaccination, and a lesser extent immunity acquired through prior infection, covid is basically the same as seasonal influenza in terms of hospitalisation and death.  We've lived with that for the rest of our lives, just as we now should with covid.  When asked if he personally masked up he said no (unless it was a particular high-risk social situation, then he might 'think about it').  Further vaccine boosters will likely be forthcoming later in the year.

We need more people like him being interviewed, and fewer politicians.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Jonathan Van Tam on R4 this morning was very clear in his thoughts on the current covid situation in the UK (and to all intents and purposes, IOM is the same).  Unlike when politicians are interviewed he gave clear and concise answers and made a lot of sense.  He said that thanks to vaccination, and a lesser extent immunity acquired through prior infection, covid is basically the same as seasonal influenza in terms of hospitalisation and death.  We've lived with that for the rest of our lives, just as we now should with covid.  When asked if he personally masked up he said no (unless it was a particular high-risk social situation, then he might 'think about it').  Further vaccine boosters will likely be forthcoming later in the year.

I heard the interview also. He reflected what I had understood the situation has developed into.

Just spent a weekend in London, theatre going, museums, bars, restaurants, crowds, trains, planes. Very few mask wearers, but it’s their choice. I carry a supply just in case I feel vulnerable.

I hope we’d all have the courtesy and respect to others to stay out of the way and wear masks if we have any respiratory infection.

One thing, @wrighty that I think he sort of glossed over is that, unlike seasonal flu, covid seems all year round which sort of changes it’s impact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

One thing, @wrighty that I think he sort of glossed over is that, unlike seasonal flu, covid seems all year round which sort of changes it’s impact

Beat me to it. Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Beat me to it. Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

I would expect/hope, that as herd immunity continues to build (via infection and immunisation), that frequency drops off.  Most people I know get a cold/flu (definitions vary, and level of symptoms represent a spectrum) once or twice a year, and are not necessarily very ill with it.  See how it goes over the next couple of years.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Let's hope our officials take a similar tact when the inevitable steeper rise in illness rears it's head again once as we enter the winter months. I rather think they will as any more extreme measures and the cupboards will be well and truly bare.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Let's hope our officials take a similar tact when the inevitable steeper rise in illness rears it's head again once as we enter the winter months. I rather think they will as any more extreme measures and the cupboards will be well and truly bare.

Hopefully but there’s a very vocal local minority who have been calling for more restrictions for some time, they mostly inhabit Twitter with people like Tim Glover, Dudley Butt being their cheer leaders 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hopefully but there’s a very vocal local minority who have been calling for more restrictions for some time, they mostly inhabit Twitter with people like Tim Glover, Dudley Butt being their cheer leaders 

Glover can’t help himself 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-calls-for-better-covid-messaging/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I would expect/hope, that as herd immunity continues to build (via infection and immunisation), that frequency drops off.  Most people I know get a cold/flu (definitions vary, and level of symptoms represent a spectrum) once or twice a year, and are not necessarily very ill with it.  See how it goes over the next couple of years.

That's a very good point. I'm no virologist, but common sense would tell me that, as you say, flu has been around as long as anyone can remember so there will be a massive foundation of immunity to millions of previous variants etc. Perhaps new sneaky ones get round our herd immunity from time to time, but small outbreaks only seriously affect a small number and the outbreaks fizzle out.

Even after mass vaccination the human race is still a bit vulnerable to COVID outbreaks but in my simplistic way of thinking, each outbreak makes us stronger and eventually that foundation will become stronger. Its been happening for centuries. Think War of the Worlds. HG Wells was ahead of his time.

15 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

As a former naysayer that believed it was all over bar the shouting and if one is jabbed up then nothing to worry about, I have had my arse well and truly kicked.

Just had 2 days in bed after testing positve, up today but still feeling pretty dreadful. I'm 61 , triple jabbed and in reasonable nick for my age. I work part time in hospitality on zero hours contract so that's a weeks wage gone as well.

It is still out there & can still make you  quite ill. Just saying.

I must have been lucky. 64, triple jabbed but also obese and asthmatic. Had a bad night last Friday, a bit of D&V, some crazy shivering and then sweating and a headache. Thought it was food poisoning as my wife had been away on a day trip. Still a bit off Saturday but tested negative. 

Went out on Monday to several shops but didn’t feel quite right and tested positive. Still testing positive today but haven’t felt that bad all week.

Know some people who have it a lot worse. I probably caught a mild dose?

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Our eldest went down with a blocked nose, dry sore throat and light headache and tested negative for four days running. Only tested positive on day 5 but tested negative again day 8 and fully recovered day 9..

Nature's a wonderful thing! 

Mrs Nature + a few jabs perhaps?

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Like 2