IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Question - Is Covid/Influenza transmissible? What do you think? Best to wear a mast maybe? Isolate?

More importantly what steps would you take to verify such a hypothesis?

EXPERIMENTS TO DETERMINE MODE OF SPREAD OF INFLUENZA

M. J. Rosenau

Published 2 August 1919

"The experiments here described were performed on an island in Boston Harbor, on volunteers obtained from the Navy. The work was conducted by a group of officers detailed for that purpose, from the U. S. Navy and the U. S. Public Health Service, consisting of Dr. G. W. McCoy, director of the Hygienic Library, Dr. Joseph Goldberger, Dr. Leake, and Dr. Lake, all on the part of the U. S. Public Health Service; and cooperating with those medical officers, was a group also detailed for this purpose on the part of the U. S. Navy, consisting of Dr. J. J. Keegan, Dr. De Wayne Richey and myself. The work itself was conducted at Gallops Island, which is the quarantine station of the Port of Boston, and peculiarly well fitted for operations of this kind, serving adequately for the purposes of isolation, observations, and maintenance of the large group of volunteers."

Extract from the conclusion, last paragraph

"As a matter of fact, we entered the outbreak with
a notion that we knew the cause of the disease, and
were quite sure we knew how it was transmitted from
person to person. Perhaps, if we have learned any¬
thing, it is that we are not quite sure what we know
about the disease..

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/EXPERIMENTS-TO-DETERMINE-MODE-OF-SPREAD-OF-Rosenau/40e4027b4d2f0b9b26a963f10022ea79ffed84e4

PDF: https://zenodo.org/record/1505669/files/article.pdf

Notes:

The paper starts on Page 1, Second Columns.

It probably needs a warning, the experiments to test were "gross".

This is authoritative being US health and US Navy.

• 3 months later...

Seems fair enough to me.

Some of the people on buses are dreadful with their unrestrained coughing and spluttering. It's not as if they are people who care about others - feet up on the seats, talking loudly into their phones etc.

I support any bus driver who wants the screens kept up. It was a great Covid initiative and it should remain. Oh, and Covid hasn't gone away, not by a long way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Seems fair enough to me.

Some of the people on buses are dreadful with their unrestrained coughing and spluttering. It's not as if they are people who care about others - feet up on the seats, talking loudly into their phones etc.

I support any bus driver who wants the screens kept up. It was a great Covid initiative and it should remain. Oh, and Covid hasn't gone away, not by a long way.

Whilst it travels through the air it won't go away and so the screens will be largely ineffective. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Have IOMG published anything official about this year’s covid booster?   I know an assumption is being made that they’ll follow England - but have they said so?

Just FWIW UK status below. I'm a very healthy 65 year-old, 66 next month, booster will be my Christmas present from the NHS.

Covid autumn booster vaccine 2023: Everything you need to know - Department of Health and Social Care Media Centre (blog.gov.uk)

Am I eligible for an autumn Covid booster?

The following people are eligible for an autumn Covid booster:

This is because the risk of severe Covid continues to be strongly associated with increasing age and underlying health conditions.

When is the booster available and how do I book an appointment?

• Vaccinations will begin on 11 September for those most at risk, including adult care home residents and people who are immunosuppressed.
  • From 18 September, the NHS will start to invite people in priority order of risk and those eligible will be able to book an appointment on the National Booking Service.
  • Further information is available here.

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Have IOMG published anything official about this year’s covid booster?   I know an assumption is being made that they’ll follow England - but have they said so?

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I met a lady on the beach yesterday who said she was booking her next COVID booster; she's only 50 and not vulnerable either.  l asked her if she had an invitation for the booster; no, she replied You can,  just book it online, apparently.  So does anyone know if this possible? I'm just over 60 but would like a booster before the winter. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I met a lady on the beach yesterday who said she was booking her next COVID booster; she's only 50 and not vulnerable either.  l asked her if she had an invitation for the booster; no, she replied You can,  just book it online, apparently.  So does anyone know if this possible? I'm just over 60 but would like a booster before the winter

To be completely honest, that’s why I asked - same here!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1