IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why would I have a petition? You're the one bringing it up so you do something about it. I don't care enough about it to create a petition 

Neither do I. So why mention petitions then? 

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Could it be that any of those who were jailed were, in fact, innocent?

I suppose it depends on what you class as innocent. Many were shopped by the horrible army of Manx snitchers that formed over that period. They likely took the snitchers words as fact in a lot of situations as there was no proper process they were simply marched up to appear in court. Even if they did break a pandemic rule buying a sandwich or putting fuel in your car should never have been a prison offense in any sane rational country. It was just that a few sad cases inside the Manx establishment spotted the opportunity to feel big supported by draconian emergency laws that should never have been signed off by any sane rational government. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bosley said:

I suppose it depends on what you class as innocent. Many were shopped by the horrible army of Manx snitchers that formed over that period. They likely took the snitchers words as fact in a lot of situations as there was no proper process they were simply marched up to appear in court. Even if they did break a pandemic rule buying a sandwich or putting fuel in your car should never have been a prison offense in any sane rational country. It was just that a few sad cases inside the Manx establishment spotted the opportunity to feel big supported by draconian emergency laws that should never have been signed off by any sane rational government. 

Having to get petrol etc is entirely down to not thinking it through. So why should others be put at risk due to your stupidity?

Frankly if you demonstrate that you cannot be trusted to isolate yourself for whatever reason then we'll do it for you is a reasonable position to take! It's only fair really and definitely works for the vulnerable.

Sure the penalties were harsh but then the situation was extreme to put it mildly. I'm sure that if the island had been hit really hard by the virus then this thread would have been all about "why didn't the government come down harder on those who broke the rules" and so forth...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Having to get petrol etc is entirely down to not thinking it through. So why should others be put at risk due to your stupidity?

Frankly if you demonstrate that you cannot be trusted to isolate yourself for whatever reason then we'll do it for you is a reasonable position to take! It's only fair really and definitely works for the vulnerable.

Sure the penalties were harsh but then the situation was extreme to put it mildly. I'm sure that if the island had been hit really hard by the virus then this thread would have been all about "why didn't the government come down harder on those who broke the rules" and so forth...

Oh you’re one of “them”.

End of conversation. 

1 hour ago, Bosley said:

They likely took the snitchers words as fact in a lot of situations as there was no proper process they were simply marched up to appear in court. Even if they did break a pandemic rule buying a sandwich or putting fuel in your car should never have been a prison offense in any sane rational country

They didn’t. And a lot of what people claimed were “defences” were anything but. Such as the woman who claimed she was fleeing domestic violence but had, from what I heard, allegedly been bragging on the ferry about how she was about to go straight on the lash.

I also know many people were simply spoken to by the police and given words of advice. The police generally only took it further when those words of advice were ignored or responded to aggressively. The woman who got petrol in Laxey ended up in prison because she chose to get all mouthy and punchy with the police rather than saying sorry.

Same with those welders, they weren’t buying lunch, they were buying crates of beer despite having repeatedly been told not to. 

But, like Courtenay Headcase, I’m sure you’ll be back to tell us that people who deliberately broke the rules were really just innocent and shouldn’t have faced any sanction for ignoring the rules the rest of us had to abide by. 

I stuck by the rules even though it caused me a lot of hardship. So those who ignored the rules because they thought they were special, well, they can go to hell.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bosley said:

I don’t think the UK put anyone in prison specifically for Covid breaches - but instead issued around 4,000 fines for a population of 65,000,000. 

And the rest.  According to this Guardian article from a year ago:

There were nearly 125,000 fixed-penalty notices issued in England and Wales during the pandemic, ranging from £50, such as that received by Boris Johnson for attending a party with 30 people while he was the prime minister, to fines of £10,000 given out to others for similar offences. Those that were paid went no further.

However:

More than 28,000 people in England and Wales have [since] been convicted of breaches of Covid-19 regulations, despite the government’s insistence that it never intended to criminalise people for minor infractions during the pandemic.

The convictions are for Covid-related offences, such as attendance at gatherings during lockdowns or arriving at airports without the proper evidence of a coronavirus test. Almost 16,000 of the convictions – or 55% – involved people under 30.

[...]Two years after restrictions were lifted, magistrates are continuing to work their way through a backlog of cases, with about 100 Covid-related cases being heard each month.

The average fine issued in magistrates courts last year was £6,000, although some people have been fined as much as £10,000.

Whether any of these ended up in prison for non-payment is another matter.  That certainly happened in Jersey from memory where some (not rich) people were given very large fines with a prison alternative.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

They didn’t. And a lot of what people claimed were “defences” were anything but. Such as the woman who claimed she was fleeing domestic violence but had, from what I heard, allegedly been bragging on the ferry about how she was about to go straight on the lash.

So according to completely unqualified third-hand gossip you heard they were all taking the piss and deserved it? Right enough 😉

And as for the Heading comment where did I say they should not have got some sort of punishment? But throwing 72 people in jail was literally deranged behaviour. There should be some people who still work for government in jail for human rights abuses over that period. That would make more sense than jailing some idiot for buying a sandwich.

Edited by Bosley
  • Like 1

I have a couple of friends who were ‘locked up’ in Comis hotel on return to the Island . They put the claim in for reimbursement for what they paid the day it was announced it would be repaid.They inquired the other day when might they receive moneys due back and were informed treasury haven’t worked out how to refund it . Couldn’t make it up. Actually knowing our lot perhaps I can. Don’t really believe that reason but nothing they can do. Considering if they didn’t pay on arrival they were threatened with jail seems not unreasonable that it should have been refunded immediately .  How about slamming treasury officials in jail for not refunding it. Or Afie perhaps. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Bosley said:

Oh you’re one of “them”.

End of conversation. 

There's always more than one side to a discussion.

I took the "thought through and reasonable" side.

Noticed you didn't try and challenge my version of events...

Face it, the fuckwit factor always think they know better until they get caught.

Amen to that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Having just gone back and read some of the first 20-30 pages of this topic, and reminding myself of just how potentially serious covid was considered to be in the early days, I agree with you. 
The penalties were very harsh but necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Having just gone back and read some of the first 20-30 pages of this topic, and reminding myself of just how potentially serious covid was considered to be in the early days, I agree with you. 
The penalties were very harsh but necessary. 

Boris and his gang didn’t think so ! 

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

yet the government did nothing about all the steam packet employees who it turned out had been breaking covid regulations en masse because they hadn't been doing it maliciously according to fat fuck quayle ,  how one maliciously puts petrol into a cars petrol tank has yet to be explained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosley said:

So according to completely unqualified third-hand gossip you heard they were all taking the piss and deserved it? Right enough 😉

Oh it’s not unqualified third hand gossip.

1 hour ago, Bosley said:

But throwing 72 people in jail was literally deranged behaviour.

Those 72 people thought they were special and the rules didn’t apply to them. FAFO, as they say.

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Boris and his gang didn’t think so !