IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

53 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

If I get a cold there is zero chance I'll be going for a test.  Why would you test people who don't have symptoms?

I've got young kids.  I have a semi permanent cold:rolleyes:

I get what you’re saying. In my job though if I’m seen in the hospital sniffling and coughing I’ll probably get marched off the premises straight to the grandstand. 

In the ‘new normal’ I suspect it’ll be socially unacceptable to attend work if you’re ill. Fortunately doesn’t happen often to me. 

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

If I get a cold there is zero chance I'll be going for a test.  Why would you test people who don't have symptoms?

I've got young kids.  I have a semi permanent cold:rolleyes:

My kids thankfully seem to have got over the permanent snuffles of their very early years and I too would only test if I got the classic symptoms. A normal cold has a runny nose and sneezing unlike Covid, having said that when your kid gets sent home from school with a snuffle by over zealous teachers you will not have a choice but to get him/her tested. BTW, I have had the test, it was no big deal and I got the results the next day.

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

My kids thankfully seem to have got over the permanent snuffles of their very early years and I too would only test if I got the classic symptoms. A normal cold has a runny nose and sneezing unlike Covid, having said that when your kid gets sent home from school with a snuffle by over zealous teachers you will not have a choice but to get him/her tested. BTW, I have had the test, it was no big deal and I got the results the next day.

Well yes, this is clearly a concern when schools start over fussing on a kid with a sniffle.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I get what you’re saying. In my job though if I’m seen in the hospital sniffling and coughing I’ll probably get marched off the premises straight to the grandstand. 

In the ‘new normal’ I suspect it’ll be socially unacceptable to attend work if you’re ill. Fortunately doesn’t happen often to me. 

I'm generally rarely what I would call "ill".  Maybe once or twice a year.   If i feel awful I now tend to take a day off, work from home ( so I don't pass it round) or take a holiday.

It has always been common sense that if someone is ill it's good manners not to pass it round work.

At nursery or school it's a different ball game.  My kids at nursery would barely have been there if they only went when perfectly well.

The new normal will be a charter for paranoid people and piss takers.

13 hours ago, Golfer said:

Do you think Jersey reopening borders and Guernsey do a 7 day trial on isolation are being reckless then or just Iom over cautious?

As far as I can tell Jersey aren't 'reopening' borders as such.  Instead they are altering the rules which now:

[...] means passengers arriving by air or sea into Jersey will have the option of taking a test to see if they currently have coronavirus, instead of the mandatory 14 days of quarantine.

Those being tested, which will be free until at least the end of August, will not have to isolate while they await their results which should take 24 to 48 hours to arrive, with the aim of reducing that to 12 hours by the end of July.

I suspect this will be worst of all worlds (there was some opposition in the States) as the people who are most likely to ignore the instructions to limit their contacts while they await test results are the most likely to have had similar patterns in the UK and so contract the virus[1].

Even if people do dutifully isolate until they get their results, testing on arrival may still be a problem.  Because the most likely place to catch Covid-19 might well be while travelling.  So travellers may contact it while getting to Jersey, not have the virus yet in quite the right places where being tested (and so test negative), develop it during their stay, which infecting all and sundry, and only get diagnosed if they fall ill.

I can see how there might be benefits in testing (if properly done) on arrival and then a number of days after as a way of avoiding a 14 day quarantine.  But this looks like a recipe for disaster, especially because so few places are open to holiday makers at the moment.

[1]  The official advice seems to include an even bigger opt-out where arrivals can "prior to departure present approved documentary evidence of a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test conducted within 72 hours of arrival in Jersey".  There seems little they can do to enforce this, except imprisoning departing visitors who haven't bothered to comply.  I doubt this would happen.

• Like 1