IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

44 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

John Walter Smithson for CM?  Who is with me?

Joking obviously.  How does a clearly troll account not get closed down?

It’s the same person behind the Karen Kelly account. The troll accounts actually started as a bit of a Facebook protest as their personal account was restricted for 2 weeks after posting/sharing some content, obviously if enough people flag an account, they get temporary bans, if they get warnings on a troll account it makes no odds whatsoever...... 

27 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The test they were using on island was a creation of Taxagenomics and using their proprietary methods to test for human RNA to validate the swab. 

Commercial tests, like the one the IOM will now be using don’t test for that, giving a higher chance of a false negative. There’s some discussion in this thread of it.

Is this accurate?

So we have not only gone for a more convoluted procedure resulting in slower processing time but we are also taking a hit on accuracy too?

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Is this accurate?

So we have not only gone for a more convoluted procedure resulting in slower processing time but we are also taking a hit on accuracy too?

Maybe “we” have gone down the road of what “we” feel is right, not dictated by outside interests thinking they hold all the keys. Thinking marine salvage here. 

37 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Cheers.

I'll line them up and you just keep on hitting those home runs.

I was thinking of you today actually, I went to Tesco this afternoon to do a big shop (should do me around 2 maybe 3 weeks) and I wasn’t sure what to make of my findings. Now I think I’m doing things the right way by wearing a mask and doing a big shop, however I noticed the vast majority were just picking up a few essentials? plenty of people just with baskets and small trolleys with next to nothing in them and yet I’m spending nearly 45 minutes in there whilst they’ve whipped round in 10 mins and came out with a bag full, who’s doing it right and who’s doing it wrong? 

Only others things I noticed  :

• No one way system in the aisles so social distancing was impossible 
  •  Had to result to zipping quickly past people even though I wanted a particular item due to dithering idiots/no sense of urgency/no sense of awareness
  • There was no blue roll to clean my trolley handle on the station I went to, the blue roll being shared on the other station made me question why aren’t we using disposable towels rather than handling the same roll… I ended up smothering my hands and the trolley handle in antibacterial gel instead.
  • Security guard appeared to be more interested in their phone than their surroundings
  • People clearly related/same household pushing 2 trolleys following each other around causing congestion in the aisles, why isn’t it one person per household rather than 1 person per trolley?
  • If people are doing a big shop for someone isolating and their own big shop (hence two trolleys) is it better to do their own shop, leave and return with another trolley for the people they’re shopping for or have they got it right and I’ve just got no patience?
  • Some staff moving (almost comically so) out of the way on approach, others just trying to crack on and do their job, I don’t envy them but it was confusing with some moving and some not.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I was thinking of you today actually, I went to Tesco this afternoon to do a big shop (should do me around 2 maybe 3 weeks) and I wasn’t sure what to make of my findings. Now I think I’m doing things the right way by wearing a mask and doing a big shop, however I noticed the vast majority were just picking up a few essentials? plenty of people just with baskets and small trolleys with next to nothing in them and yet I’m spending nearly 45 minutes in there whilst they’ve whipped round in 10 mins and came out with a bag full, who’s doing it right and who’s doing it wrong? 

•  Had to result to zipping quickly past people even though I wanted a particular item due to dithering idiots/no sense of urgency/no sense of awareness
  • There was no blue roll to clean my trolley handle on the station I went to, the blue roll being shared on the other station made me question why aren’t we using disposable towels rather than handling the same roll… I ended up smothering my hands and the trolley handle in antibacterial gel instead.
  • Security guard appeared to be more interested in their phone than their surroundings
  • People clearly related/same household pushing 2 trolleys following each other around causing congestion in the aisles, why isn’t it one person per household rather than 1 person per trolley?
  • If people are doing a big shop for someone isolating and their own big shop (hence two trolleys) is it better to do their own shop, leave and return with another trolley for the people they’re shopping for or have they got it right and I’ve just got no patience?
  • Some staff moving (almost comically so) out of the way on approach, others just trying to crack on and do their job, I don’t envy them but it was confusing with some moving and some not.

Since you asked.

Assuming people can afford it and have a car so aren't walking or on a bus I would think a single shopping trip every 2 or 3 weeks is much better for everyone.

Yes you will be longer, but there should be lots less people.

Unfortunately too many people seem to think they have a devine right to go to the shops everyday, sometimes more than once.  These people are the issue with their tiny little basket (if they are on foot or living day to day with finances then they are excused)

Thankfully I can't comment on tesco specifically as I have never set foot in the place since a one off visit shortly after they opened.

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Is this accurate?

If a swab that is taken contains viral RNA, the PCR testing is very good at detecting it (close to 100%) but it is reliant on taking the swab correctly. You would hope that this is less of an issue where all the swabs are taken by a dedicated team (as opposed to self taken swabs etc). What evidence is there that the process in the lab at Nobles is any more convoluted or slower now than it was when Dr Glover was still involved? I am not aware of any.

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe “we” have gone down the road of what “we” feel is right, not dictated by outside interests thinking they hold all the keys. Thinking marine salvage here. 

Why defend the Government when they have clearly messed up here? They did the right thing in locking us down but that action was the direct result of their own inaction over testing at the borders. They are not infallible and should never be treated so. If their arrogance costs our community lives then that is on them.

• Like 3

not everyone has a massive freezer. I live really close to the shops and am normally really bad for just nipping in for one or two things. Like a bit of ginger or something. The first lockdown had me change my behaviour, making my trips much less frequent, its been really easy to slip back in to that mode. Ive been to the shop twice in a week, instead of about 10 times.

People are being really weird.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

A few peeople posting over on Twitter that over 80 family members, who got vaccine letters today are being told that first available slots are on 15th February. There's considerable consternation, as a result.

It appears that w/c 18th January will be the remainder of the first three week cycle, which started on 4th January. That cycle will then be repeated to give those people their second shot, w/c 25th Jan, w/c 1st Feb. w/c 8th Feb. 

So, there will be a three weeks gap with no new vaccine recipients at Nobles. 

Just now, Nellie said:

A few peeople posting over on Twitter that over 80 family members, who got vaccine letters today are being told that first available slots are on 15th February. There's considerable consternation, as a result.

It appears that w/c 18th January will be the remainder of the first three week cycle, which started on 4th January. That cycle will then be repeated to give those people their second shot, w/c 25th Jan, w/c 1st Feb. w/c 8th Feb. 

So, there will be a three weeks gap with no new vaccine recipients at Nobles. 

It’s absolutely a shambles, they have 6 trays in reserve plus shortly to have 2 of the Oxford so why aren’t we using them?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

not everyone has a massive freezer. I live really close to the shops and am normally really bad for just nipping in for one or two things. Like a bit of ginger or something. The first lockdown had me change my behaviour, making my trips much less frequent, its been really easy to slip back in to that mode. Ive been to the shop twice in a week, instead of about 10 times.

People are being really weird.

Its actually much easier this time round to hardly need to visit a shop.

Mainly because the beer that took up nearly the whole fridge last time can be kept in the garden, the shed, or the garage and still be nice and cold.  Leaving more space in the fridge for crap stuff like lettuce

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

How can they do that? I don't understand voting if it can just be over ruled even when not in favour.

They didn't slinky. Roger is misrepresenting what happened. 

The motion being debated was;

32. COVID-19 policy framework review The Hon. Member for Douglas Central (Mr Thomas) to move – That Tynwald receives the documents Isle of Man Borders Framework 2020 [NN No 2020/0047] and Stay Responsible: the Isle of Man Government’s long term framework for COVID-19 [NN No 2020/0048]; notes the Council of Ministers’ intention to bring forward regulations under the Public Health Act 1990 to put in place entry restrictions when the current Emergency Powers (Coronavirus) (Entry Restrictions) Regulations cease to have effect; and welcomes regular and continuing review of the Borders and Stay Responsible policy frameworks and the Government’s approach to living with COVID-19, considering the risks and different scenarios arising from the evolving local and global COVID19 pandemic situations.

Bill Shimmins then tabled an amendment which read 

"Tynwald is of the opinion that further urgent consideration should be given for all arrivals to be tested for COVID-19 with additional testing to take place at intervals after arrival within the 14-day isolation period to enable exploration of additional options to manage infection risks and other considerations;"

The original motion was passed as was Shimmins' amendment.

The problem here however is that it doesn't make anybody do anything. Its piffle of the highest order. If Tynwald was to do testing all he had to do was change his wording to "Tynwald instructs DHSC to test all arrivals etc etc". He didn't do that and Tynwald agreed to nothing more than give further urgent consideration to something. I'm sure someone can easily say yup, we did that and decided against it.

I guess that's what happens when you let outsiders into your national Parliament.:D

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Are you actually on the island? There are teams checking that those in isolation are staying inside, they may be a bit pushed checking the probably  several hundred now isolating but my friends were visited last week.

...and your friends in a holiday cottage were visited by one of the teams? That's comforting information.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

One thing that maybe needs consideration when shopping or in any public areas is viral load. I don't have an answer but is there greater risk taking 45 minutes to do an extensive shop, than 5-15 mins in and out?