IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, quilp said:

One thing that maybe needs consideration when shopping or in any public areas is viral load. I don't have an answer but is there greater risk taking 45 minutes to do an extensive shop, than 5-15 mins in and out?

To your bank balance yes.

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

not everyone has a massive freezer. I live really close to the shops and am normally really bad for just nipping in for one or two things. Like a bit of ginger or something. The first lockdown had me change my behaviour, making my trips much less frequent, its been really easy to slip back in to that mode. Ive been to the shop twice in a week, instead of about 10 times.

People are being really weird.

It’s evident we’re all trying to do what we feel is best, I was genuinely curious though as to which method is less risk.

My theory is I’m now spending 2-3 weeks away from everyone after a 45 minute shop, my longest interaction was with the checkout operator (who was bloody lovely even though I was struggling to pack quick enough) if I was to get the virus the chances of me passing it on are now absolutely remote. I’m still getting 2 weeks to the gallon, so won’t even need fuel.

The 10 minute shopper however isn’t even deemed worthy of contract tracing, because the risk is so low, which makes me think perhaps I’m doing it wrong? Yes they’ll be dealing with more checkout staff, yes there will be different customers each time but the exposure risk is deemed minimal, perhaps it’s edging your bets rather than going all in.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

One thing that maybe needs consideration when shopping or in any public areas is viral load. I don't have an answer but is there greater risk taking 45 minutes to do an extensive shop, than 5-15 mins in and out?

That’s my theory, I’m genuinely not sure. I did what I felt was best, but I’ve actually never thought about it in much detail before. I just thought my way of dealing with it was ‘normal’.

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s absolutely a shambles, they have 6 trays in reserve plus shortly to have 2 of the Oxford so why aren’t we using them?

Why don't you stop trying to stir up trouble at every opportunity?

They need to do the care homes and essential front line staff first. Before the regular over-80s.

And it's obviously an organisational nightmare. Just imagine the practicalities of trying to do this. If you had any sense you'd realise that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Is this accurate?

So we have not only gone for a more convoluted procedure resulting in slower processing time but we are also taking a hit on accuracy too?

You can have a look through posts here and posts on Dr Glover's twitter.

My understanding is that:

- They have some capacity using the kit they initially started with. That accepts commercial tests, which are in use. I believe that machine was the one that kick-started on-island testing.

- There's a bigger 375 sample machine, which Dr G. doesn't know if they've gotten their hands on a commercial test for.

- There's also possibly extra kit that she taught them how to use, but has probably been boxed back up as they don't have the skills or confidence in using it.

This is further compounded by Dr G's test being more accurate by making sure that the swab is valid. Invalid swab? No result, test again to find out. Her argument was that in small communities, like here, false negatives can have a huge impact.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
Adding info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why don't you stop trying to stir up trouble at every opportunity?

They need to do the care homes and essential front line staff first. Before the regular over-80s.

And it's obviously an organisational nightmare. Just imagine the practicalities of trying to do this. If you had any sense you'd realise that.

Why don’t you stop defending the indefensible shambles, if you had any sense you would realize that IOM should be moving much quicker.

Everyone else in UK & crown dependencies is moving much quicker 

Edited by Banker
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nellie said:

A few peeople posting over on Twitter that over 80 family members, who got vaccine letters today are being told that first available slots are on 15th February. There's considerable consternation, as a result.

It appears that w/c 18th January will be the remainder of the first three week cycle, which started on 4th January. That cycle will then be repeated to give those people their second shot, w/c 25th Jan, w/c 1st Feb. w/c 8th Feb. 

So, there will be a three weeks gap with no new vaccine recipients at Nobles. 

Please could you post this in the vaccine thread.

• Like 1

I was as at B&Q today, for essentials I might add, not many people in but still some of them wandering leisurely around, as if they'd not a clue what they wanted, as if waiting for something to catch their eye and even less aware of their proximity to others. Noses poking over the top of a badly positioned mask, picking stuff up, putting it back, a couple of kids chasing each other with little supervision, etc. It genuinely got to me, had me on my toes and because of it, I fucked off sharpish!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

That’s my theory, I’m genuinely not sure. I did what I felt was best, but I’ve actually never thought about it in much detail before. I just thought my way of dealing with it was ‘normal’.

My opinion is that the best situation  would be for everyone to follow the clear advice to go out as infrequently as possible and only for essentials.  That would mean hardly anyone in the shops.

Say we have 30,000 households and each one gets a shop every two weeks.  That's only about 180 people an hour going shopping across all the shops on the island so you would hardly see a soul.

Unfortunately what we actually have is people doing that mixing with dave who NEEDS to go to the corner shop for milk everyday, and tesco for the particular bread he likes, and then agrimark for cheap beer.

I would honestly issue every house with a weekly shopping token that they hand in when they get to the shop.  Dont have one can't get in.

Exceltions for vulnerable, people on foot etc.

Wouldn't be popular but this thread, Facebook and the roads and shops are evidence that people can't be trusted to do what is asked of them.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

I was as at B&Q today, for essentials I might add, not many people in but still some of them wandering leisurely around, as if they'd not a clue what they wanted, as if waiting for something to catch their eye and even less aware of their proximity to others. Noses poking over the top of a badly positioned mask, picking stuff up, putting it back, a couple of kids chasing each other with little supervision, etc. It genuinely got to me, had me on my toes and because of it, I fucked off sharpish!

Going to bite.

Whats essential from B&Q?  Assume a leak or a power outage, smashed window needed boarding up etc?

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Is b&q not trade only now? Or does that not come into force until tomorrow night? I think these announcements do cause people to have a daft little panic that their missing out on something, even though click and collect is easier, far easier browsing a website than that store, I can never find anything.

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Is b&q not trade only now? Or does that not come into force until tomorrow night? I think these announcements do cause people to have a daft little panic that their missing out on something, even though click and collect is easier, far easier browsing a website than that store, I can never find anything.

Trade only from midnight tonight I think.

Though, I agree with you. Screwfix usually has it and it's usually a couple of quid cheaper to boot. They're the same parent company, just without the nice person to point you in the right direction.

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Going to bite.

Whats essential from B&Q?  Assume a leak or a power outage, smashed window needed boarding up etc?

I'm tempted to tell you to fuck off and mind your own business. But... There is an extensive selection of cleaning materials, including a very effective drain-unblocker. Mrs Q has long blonde locks, washes it every day and loses some each time. The fall on the 2" waste is marginal, consequently the pipes need unblocking from time to time. They were blocked this morning. On that same section there are handy packs of wipes and surgical gloves, for the car. It was either today or tomorrow because come Thursday, it'll be trade only. As I'm high-risk, on a trip like that I'll be wearing said surgical gloves and under the N95 mask I also wear one of those largely ineffectual paper masks.

Is your curiosity satisfied..? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Trade only from midnight tonight I think.

Though, I agree with you. Screwfix usually has it and it's usually a couple of quid cheaper to boot. They're the same parent company, just without the nice person to point you in the right direction.

Nice person? Have you been to B&Q?

I'm joking really. It feels like the Last Stop for old people in the workplace up there.

I never understand some of these 'from midnight in a few days'. If you're only allowing essential trades anyway, why encourage people to pop to B&Q for one last blast for a day?