IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

We have managed to go from an enviable position of being able to manage this better than most places on the planet for 6 months to now running around chasing our tail playing whack-a-mole with new positive cases, as well as dispensing with the one on island facility that could locally identify the chains of transmission.

And we have an MBE presiding over this fiasco. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It’s government poor communication. The announcement was “moved to level 5”.

How difficult is it to specify 5A or 5B.

I've checked back. Seems we may have been in twice modified level 4 and moved to level 5B.

Level 4 modified 23/12 to stop compassionate and key workers ( except essential national infrastructure) and introduce day 1/2 and 13 testing and on 7/1 to introduce day 6/7 testing.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Was that announced on the radio John? Nothing on MR or IOM Newspapers websites and gov.im Covid page still showing 5B.

Government FB page. Bald “moved to border level 5”. I think I’ve worked it out above.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The over-reaction as you put it, is because they have nothing to go on, virtually zero test stats other than those that are symptomatic and those they have been close to, to warrant a test.

The one thing that puzzles me about the spiel coming from Public Health is that some of the venues listed recently in press releases are classed as low risk. The new variant has made sure that this is anything but low risk.

That's an interesting comment because I raised this very thing (in September, I think) about testing hospital returnees. A close neighbour who was hospitalised in Liverpool for a couple of days was told by the consultant to go and get a COVID test on arrival. Others were told to just go home and isolate for 14 days. I have always worked on the basis that if there's something out there to catch then the best place to catch it is in a hospital. So why do we still not test hospital returnees?

We do test hospital returnees as far as I am aware at day 1 & 13 now, they also have to have one before they go to uk hospital 

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

We have managed to go from an enviable position of being able to manage this better than most places on the planet for 6 months to now running around chasing our tail playing whack-a-mole with new positive cases, as well as dispensing with the one on island facility that could locally identify the chains of transmission.

MBEs ain't what they used to be....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I'd really expect a lawyer to establish facts before starting rumours. Although admittedly the IOM Gov social messaging wasn't exactly clear, which is hardly surprising either.

As I said earlier, Gov has a habit of scheduling regular content on a daily basis that almost looks like new information, but unless its accompanied by some sort of press release, it isn't.

And if the government feed says moved to level 5 with nothing more how is it to be interpreted. 

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Plus someone who wants to be a Sir ! But still we have lots saying how great they are and don’t complain!

Just now, John Wright said:

And if the government feed says moved to level 5 with nothing more how is it to be interpreted. 

We were already put to level 5ish, a week ago.

My take with anything from IOM Gov socials is that unless it is accompanied by a graph or a press release, it is just regurgitated information.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Plus someone who wants to be a Sir ! But still we have lots saying how great they are and don’t complain!

Yes - there is no credible opposition on the island.

Most media here seems beholden to government for payment. Paul M seems to have lost most of his credibility as he doesn't think his questions through and is fast becoming a laughing stock - you can even sense Howard Quayle smiling when it is his turn to ask questions. Paul is like the guy that cried 'Wolf'.

Even the new Lib Vannin leader says - hindsight is a great thing - yet Dr Rachael Glover clearly spelled out the consequences of not testing on November 15th.

Only the BBC report yesterday highlighted the stupidity of not doing second week testing and sleep walking us into another lockdown.

This is the stuff of banana republics.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaymann said:

We were already put to level 5ish, a week ago.

My take with anything from IOM Gov socials is that unless it is accompanied by a graph or a press release, it is just regurgitated information.

True. It’s another indication of how poor communication by government is. The graphs and tables are equally unreliable, unfortunately.

The daily table of tests, positives etc is wrong, every day. The republish some days. Comparing with the day before often highlights errors. And they change categories Willy nilly without any explanation.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, pongo said:

Why don't you stop trying to stir up trouble at every opportunity?

They need to do the care homes and essential front line staff first. Before the regular over-80s.

And it's obviously an organisational nightmare. Just imagine the practicalities of trying to do this. If you had any sense you'd realise that.

Pongo, they have had month's to organise the roll out of the vaccine, do not be apologising for incompetence within the Government, they have had plenty of time, more people should be complaining rather than excepting bullshit excuse's it  is a reluctance to pull their finger out, if indeed there are 6000 dose's sat in freezer's it is a disgrace and the journo's should be asking at every briefing have you re-assessed the output of the vaccine and not be put off by mardy answer's the media need to grow a pair of ball's here and start upsetting the "time enough" attitude. BTW this is not stirring the shit it is my honest opinion they are f""king worse that useless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

I was vocal about how well they were handling it in the autumn as we were carrying on regardless while the rest of the world was a basket case but it seems behind the scenes there wasn't any coherent policy to ensure it stayed that way other than a few fingers being crossed.

They will rightly be under fire for criticism now as livelihoods are being eroded every day we are locked down. Especially so when we had documented and verifiable evidence from a qualified on island individual that this was likely to end badly if they didn't tighten up their testing policies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

True. It’s another indication of how poor communication by government is. The graphs and tables are equally unreliable, unfortunately.

The daily table of tests, positives etc is wrong, every day. The republish some days. Comparing with the day before often highlights errors. And they change categories Willy nilly without any explanation.

Agreed. When there are expressly differing levels of border control, 5A and 5B, which have separate degrees of control, simply to say ‘Borders are now at level 5’ is piss-poor comms. However, right from the outset back in March I’ve bored this forum to death with my comments and illustrations of piss-poor government comms, so I’ll STFU now and have another cup of tea.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

Agreed. When there is expressly differing levels of border control, 5A and 5B, which have separate degrees of control, simply to say ‘Borders are now at level 5’ is piss-poor comms. However, right from the outset back in March I’ve bored this forum to death with my comments and illustrations of piss-poor government comms, so I’ll STFU now and have another cup of tea.

Drink as much tea as you likE Uhtred, but if you stop your comments on comms I won't be upset, I won't be annoyed, I'll just be rather disappointed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3