IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

Howie saying its easy to look back and wish you did something differently.

Hope this is a trigger for someone to ask why he and Ashford voted against testing for isolating back end of last year.

The MBE wasn't there to vote. Given leave of absence by El Presidente on the grounds of illness (makes you wonder if he knew there would be trouble at mill at that sitting!)

Well, there goes the official lockdown end date. Easy to get in, harder to get out. Saying it was for three weeks buys public buy in, saying it is for as long as it takes is a harder sell. I can tolerate a short pre defined lockdown to get us back to normal, but I feel as if they have sold us a lie. I can financially cope with an extended lockdown, but I pity the small businesses that already on the edge.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Which begs the question what if the vaccine isn't the silver bullet they are hoping it will be?

Then we stay in and out of lockdown. I thought 10 months ago there is no chance of that but there seems no other plan other than the vaccine. It's all about covid everything else is irrelevant 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

Well, there goes the official lockdown end date. Easy to get in, harder to get out. Saying it was for three weeks buys public buy in, saying it is for as long as it takes is a harder sell. I can tolerate a short pre defined lockdown to get us back to normal, but I feel as if they have sold us a lie. I can financially cope with an extended lockdown, but I pity the small businesses that already on the edge.

He was more explicit on the 14 days clear, so all hope is not lost.....although its unlikely we will see 14 consecutive clear days for a bit yet

Just now, thommo2010 said:

Then we stay in and out of lockdown. I thought 10 months ago there is no chance of that but there seems no other plan other than the vaccine. It's all about covid everything else is irrelevant 

Exactly. Economic self destruction.

54 minutes ago, The Chief said:

ah but have you noticed how the narrative has shifted across in the last day or so, government propaganda mouth pieces all starting to put the blame on the public.

wonder how long it will be over here.

It started on Monday. The tone was a definite shift from look how wonderful the swabbing people are doing to get your mask on otherwise the newly formed COVID Response Police Unit will come-a-knocking ....... still no mention of sorry we fucked up on the testing malarkey.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Realistically, as soon as we went in, there was always a caveat that the 3rd week was optimistic.

We simply don't know the spread of the virus, neither how it is spreading, where to or how far. Henrietta may argue that tracing transmission chains is pointless if they may have passed, but in a time where contact is getting more limited, that may give us better hope of nipping things in the bud.

The problem is, as soon as it drags on, that 3 weeks that you might be able to scrape by on MERA, might well turn into significantly longer. Which isn't sustainable. For employers, employees or the self-employed.

Whilst it's lovely that we can get giant cookies and brownie trays delivered, homemade thingummies and whatsits or buy a wardrobe on manx.net, that's not helping any of us get out of where we are quicker.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It will be in and out too if they continue to implement in the half-arsed fashion that they are doing, have porous borders and don't test quarantine cases before releasing into the community.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

He was more explicit on the 14 days clear, so all hope is not lost.....although its unlikely we will see 14 consecutive clear days for a bit yet

My thoughts exactly, it will become like some reality snakes and ladders game. Can you imagine waiting for the 14th day result after 13 clear days...oh shit, another new case, back you go to day one. Theoretically this could go on longer than the UK lockdown when it was meant to be only a circuit breaker, not a nervous breaker.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Apparently he was shocked to learn the new strain is more transmissible?!?  Does Howard not even watch the UK news?

...Or read Manxforums?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Some self-employed like me entitled to nothing, depending on sector. My savings were wiped out last lockdown I'm a couple of months away from defaulting on my mortgage. 2020 tough, 2021 could be the straw breaker. I assume there's lots of folk in the same position and so far my mental health is holding up. Lots won't be.

It’s an absolute scandal how self employed, small businesses & workers on furlough or whatever it is here are treated by the civil servants controlling purse strings.

No doubt when this is over a large overtime bill will come to light plus demands for another inflation busting pay rise 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, asitis said:

The comedy posts throughout the forums on the paucity of our government are always amusing ! except for now when suddenly they have become serious. Just at the moment being governed by a raft of barely literate morons is not what we need !!

Please take this in the light I mean it but surely you are not inciting a march on Tynwald....but I totally agree with your post. 😇

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s an absolute scandal how self employed, small businesses & workers on furlough or whatever it is here are treated by the civil servants controlling purse strings.

No doubt when this is over a large overtime bill will come to light plus demands for another inflation busting pay rise 

They'll need to put some armco up on Marine Drive.