IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Its ironic how the government wage bill , 400 million and counting , hits home when we are in the position we are in currently . So many are going to be struggling , understandably , but the  gravy train keeps on rumbling on . Pensions and the head count need looked at but we all know they wont be . But you can bet we all will suffer when the adding up is done and they know what all this is costing . 

The head count is being looked at, as per Derek F's post on the  Bus Heaven thread this morning.

They're revising it up. Continually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The head count is being looked at, as per Derek F's post on the  Bus Heaven thread this morning.

They're revising it up. Continually.

And some senior employees are being bumped pay grades (upwards) while the crisis lasts. I'm sure there's justification, it just eludes me right now.

Bitterness aside, I agree that it's a sin how the self-employed are being treated. As ever with the IOM, total conflict of interest.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Neither comment is fair. He is just a easy target for your frustration . I would place him head and shoulders above HQ. 

Yes he is as you say, head and shoulders above. Monday I worried he was loosing the plot but today he seemed calmer. Maybe HQ gave him a shoulder rub before they took the stage 

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes he is as you say, head and shoulders above. Monday I worried he was loosing the plot but today he seemed calmer. Maybe HQ gave him a shoulder rub before they took the stage 

head and shoulders above yet still below ground level.

It's worth noting that the small minority of people whining loudly against the government, here and on social media (especially the mess that is Twitter) are not representative of the population as a whole. Most of those underemployed angry voices would be picking holes in policy whether or not the administration here was trying to best cope with a global pandemic. Nobody signed up for this.

And many of the people whining today were previously arguing that the seriousness of this situation had been exaggerated. That the travel restrictions were unnecessary etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'd have a lot more trust in and respect for some of the actors in this story if they got off Twitter completely.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where social media is a cornerstone of anything one does these days. 

Presidencies are won and lost on Twitter. Obama’s success in 2008 was partially down to how well his campaign team pushed him out there. 

Then there’s the ongoing saga with the only POTUS to be banned from social media platforms after rousing an insurrection. 

In this case, if all other avenues were exhausted, what is a Dr to do? Academics publish their findings to contribute to a global body of knowledge. It’s what they do best. 

So, we are currently depending on some of the lowest paid in society to care for older people, elderly families, taking risks in nursing and care homes without sufficient PPE, doing extras for the DHSC on the bank and on zero hours contracts, keeping food and supplies arriving and loading up shelves etc with unstable work routines, unpredictable work patterns and the ongoing insecurity that these employment practices create. 

On the other hand, those in government and alongside it are 'protected' from some of the harsher realities of life by being able to offset some of these outcomes by affording themselves good pay, working at home schemes, regular and steady employment and working security with good pension scheme pay offs. Not too much to worry about there.

And then, as we have heard today, (some) business's are being inhibited from carrying on their trades in situations that don't seem to fully make much sense. 

Covid has exposed the weaknesses in our economic system. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

Wasn’t it 28 days clear last time? Two virus incubation cycles. Wonder what’s changed. 

Not much. I think it we get 14 days clear they'll throw us a bone, then at 28 everything opens again.

For all the complaining, we opened up faster than anyone expected last time, with HQ allowing the pubs to reopen with such little notice they didn't have enough beer to sell.

• Like 1