IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is typical 'thinking' of  the current Manx government and its supporters: it's not what you say that's important, it's who you are. 

It's a nice easy system to run, because there is no need to consider that anything you do is ever wrong or to assess the usefulness of arguments or the presence of evidence.  Everything that's said can be looked at with one simple criterion: Is he one of our mates?

And of course anyone who makes valid criticisms, no matter how well-qualified or experienced can simply be dismissed as being anti-government and so ignored.  It's a watertight system for assuring themselves that they are always right.

Well said.

There are lots of people I know who have come up against this system where someone is not considered to be "one of us", a phrase used by Margaret Thatcher I think for members of her own Cabinet. It's a form of self protection that the 'right people" stay in charge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that doesn't matter.  If the points they make have some validity then they should be considered.  This is typical 'thinking' of  the current Manx government and its supporters: it's not what you say that's important, it's who you are. 

It's a nice easy system to run, because there is no need to consider that anything you do is ever wrong or to assess the usefulness of arguments or the presence of evidence.  Everything that's said can be looked at with one simple criterion: Is he one of our mates?

And of course anyone who makes valid criticisms, no matter how well-qualified or experienced can simply be dismissed as being anti-government and so ignored.  It's a watertight system for assuring themselves that they are always right.

As for democracy, it's about a lot more than who has the most votes  even North Korea has 'elections'.  It's a system where criticism can be heard and taken into account.  Whether such views are 'representative' or not, doesn't really matter, it's whether they have some validity and correspond with reality. In any case every dictator on Earth will assert (and probably believe) that they know 'the will of the people'.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

One aspect I would highlight is that unfortunately the people who do complain the loudest and the most often do so in a manner that when they actually make a legitimate good point it's easy for it to get lost in the noise.

Now whether that is lost deliberately by disgruntled government drones or as a by-product of a poor communication standard is open to subjective discussion

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

One aspect I would highlight is that unfortunately the people who do complain the loudest and the most often do so in a manner that when they actually make a legitimate good point it's easy for it to get lost in the noise.

Now whether that is lost deliberately by disgruntled government drones or as a by-product of a poor communication standard is open to subjective discussion

I'd suggest that it's frequently deliberate and less about "disgruntled" and more about "cynical" (and not just reserved for Central Govt, either). These people do not like being criticised or questioned, even when it's justified.

They have no compunction about it and no regrets, they're not paying even when the flaws become expensive, there is little or no accountability.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Apple said:

Well said.

There are lots of people I know who have come up against this system where someone is not considered to be "one of us", a phrase used by Margaret Thatcher I think for members of her own Cabinet. It's a form of self protection that the 'right people" stay in charge.

Group think - responsible for shite decisions in many circumstances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

So does Howie O'Clock still apply on Tuesdays and Thursdays?  

If not, when is the generally accepted time to start drinking on these days? 

I feel like I've been robbed.  I only just learned I could crack one open when they start the briefing! 

Churchill:
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

• Haha 2

Topsy turvy MF. Our traditional stance has been that the CS are running the politicians, now it's the other way around! To suit the argument???

There's certainly a lot of anti-govt feeling on here and in the wider community, although I don't think that we are yet ready for Anarchy !

One only has to look at the mention of an MHK and the flood of MHK bashing that will follow. Mention of R ***, certain MHKs and vitriol spews forth faster than from that  Man on the Bus!!!

While there may be many expressing anti govt views, probably it is just 'habit' or copy catting others views which they could not analise their viewpoint of the person that led to their castigation?

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Topsy turvy MF. Our traditional stance has been that the CS are running the politicians, now it's the other way around! To suit the argument???

There's certainly a lot of anti-govt feeling on here and in the wider community, although I don't think that we are yet ready for Anarchy !

One only has to look at the mention of an MHK and the flood of MHK bashing that will follow. Mention of R ***, certain MHKs and vitriol spews forth faster than from that  Man on the Bus!!!

While there may be many expressing anti govt views, probably it is just 'habit' or copy catting others views which they could not analise their viewpoint of the person that led to their castigation?

analise their viewpoint

You make the point for me.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There are hundreds that could be - just for starters we don't need steam trains and museum staff.

MNH and NSC staff, for an example, haven't been furloughed because they've actually been redeployed on 111 and the Covid community line. Same as last time.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 3