IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

A nice kick in the teeth for those who have low running costs.

Should have got a new van on finance, then I would get a bail out.

Ad it stands I get nothing, like lots of others.  Nothing.  Not a single penny through any of the schemes despite not being able to earn.

Don’t understand it myself, most self employed people will struggle to meet those sort of requirements, a massive part of being self employed is trying to keep outgoings to a minimum. 

Will work out fine for the Sparky with his brand new Ford Custom on finance though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

All 3 new cases in isolation so no new community spread 😀

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/three-new-cases-of-covid-191/

That’s not quite right, they would have been in the community before being told to self isolate by contract tracing and then later tested positive.

It’s good they were already contained, it shows contract tracing has worked, but it’s wrong to suggest these aren’t community cases.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

A van on finance would not exceed the £500 threshold, tho it might push O/Hs towards it? Rent would put most in to 500+ start point.

Product supply is not included?

Some of the vans/family cars/vanity symbols you see out and about are easily 400 a month.  Plus a top of the range iPhone on the top contract.  People online already saying "just charge the business rent on the home office"

Self employed can easily have overheads of less than 500 by being sensible, or can play the game and have more and minimise their tax burden.

Guess which ones are getting  screwed here

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Kopek said:

A van on finance would not exceed the £500 threshold, tho it might push O/Hs towards it? Rent would put most in to 500+ start point.

Product supply is not included?

I could easily spec an MS RT for £500+ If I desired, depends how much you typically earn and want to write off as expenses, the start at 38k before even being kitted out.

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don't know who Tom is, but I wish he was Chief Minister.

The only point he didn't make was that borders should have been relaxed about September time but with proper testing and isolation in place.

If I knew him, and was allowed, I would buy the man a beer.

Interesting that the comments on there seem to disagree.

He is clearly anti government in all regards for questioning their handling of this situation.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I could easily spec an MS RT for £500+ If I desired, depends how much you typically earn and want to write off as expenses, the start at 38k before even being kitted out.

And you want a decent mattress in the back, no cheap tat....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

And one that the FB cohort has flatly refused to read.  Perhaps it upsets their view of the paradigm?  But it is largely correct. 

I posted way back about how comparatively easy it was for the IOM to eradicate covid - two points of entry, a largely compliant population, relative ease of tracking, a home grown expert in the field of testing, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And one that the FB cohort has flatly refused to read.  Perhaps it upsets their view of the paradigm?  But it is largely correct. 

I posted way back about how comparatively easy it was for the IOM to eradicate covid - two points of entry, a largely compliant population, relative ease of tracking, a home grown expert in the field of testing, what could possibly go wrong?

I'd like to resist saying arrogant, inflexible, complacent, stupid, disdainful, boastful, ignorant leadership, but I can't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am going to go out on a bit of a limb here, I clearly have rubbed many of you up the wrong way (ooo err matron)

I feel a lot of what I was trying to clumsily say is turning out to be accurate?  The LinkedIn article could have been written by me, the groundswell of people who are completely hung out to dry by the lockdown and lack of financial support.

I do believe I am hit harder by this than most on here.  I and my family are really struggling with the border restrictions and when we could at least justify those with "covid free" they have now screwed that as well and I literally have not a penny of income or benefits for several weeks.

I get I might have been a bit over the top in trying to get my point across but this has been awful in my house.  Genuine suicide concerns and involvement from a pretty rubbish "crisis team" on a number of occasions.

I was never for opening everything up.  I was in favour of looking at the options that would allow a relaxation of the borders while still keeping us safe.  I believe the system we have now would allow that but the hoards want closed borders just because a case sneaked through an ineffective entry policy.

I can guess who will like this and who will laugh.  All I want is a government who actually do the best for the island rather than their own careers.

Over and out

Turdboy 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2