IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

I can see how aggregated 'contact tracing' might provide a statistical advantage on average across a large population of many millions. But if you think about how statistics work - it's difficult to see how much of an advantage such an app would offer a specific small local sample. About half the population here probably pass each other in traffic every day - or pass by their houses. In no time we'd all be in isolation.

Surely it would be just as likely to be a distraction. And you've also got to factor in the reality of software development. This thing will be over before the testing is done. And then there are all of the issues around compliance.

It doesn't seem like a serious prospect here. Can you see a way in which it could produce useful data?

It could be live in 4 weeks, testing in 2.

They are less effective in bigger populations. I hate to be *one of them* but Jerseys has been a blessing to help them squash their recent clusters because they have 60% of the population using it, which is far easier in smaller jurisdictions to achieve.

The thinking of my team is it should be a mixture of mobile app and also an aggregated 'register' of contacts in high risk venues such as restaurants. Bit more complex than that but theoretically we could identify and issue directives to self isolate high risk contacts within 15 minutes rather than days and asking people to come forward.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jaymann said:

It could be live in 4 weeks, testing in 2.

They are less effective in bigger populations. I hate to be *one of them* but Jerseys has been a blessing to help them squash their recent clusters because they have 60% of the population using it.

The thinking of my team is it should be a mixture of mobile app and also an aggregated 'register' of contacts in high risk venues such as restaurants. Bit more complex than that but theoretically we could identify and issue directives to self isolate high risk contacts within 15 minutes rather than days and asking people to come forward.

I'm absolutely calling bs on that. No way you could develop a reliable app like this that quickly and get it out on the Apple and Google app stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'm absolutely calling bs on that. No way you could develop a reliable app like this that quickly and get it out on the Apple and Google app stores.

The base already exists. Jersey app was created in less than 4 weeks and is based on the opensource framework of the Ireland app using the GAEN.

Edited by jaymann
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

And the best place for all of those conversations would have been in private.

In normal circumstances, I would absolutely agree.  But those conversations seemed to have happened, were disregarded and hence, I suspect, Dr Glover has "gone nuclear". 

• Like 3

Just now, pongo said:

Also - If you think you can then just do it. It doesn't actually need government involvement ahead of being ready.

That's basically what's now happening.

Its in development. But its not really any use unless Public Health have the data.

Apps where people need to 'self declare' positive results are inherently unsuccessful.

• Thanks 1