IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

I really don't get your comments on this.  The Island could be leading the way here 

There isn't much advantage to leading the way on this. A quick lockdown is going to clearly be much more effective. Contact tracing apps are preferred I think by people who lean towards keeping things half open and then acting retrospectively. That's a mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

I didn't listen to the briefing, are they considering lifting the restrictions in a phased way before the three weeks is up, or are we going to have a phased reopening at the end of the three weeks? - obviously assuming the cases go the right way.

It was all very wishy washy. Just like the vaccination 'plan'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

There isn't much advantage to leading the way on this. A quick lockdown is going to clearly be much more effective. Contact tracing apps are preferred I think by people who lean towards keeping things half open and then acting retrospectively. That's a mistake.

What happens next time? Just lockdown again?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

Apart from selling the solution (that we could have developed months ago) worldwide, and combining it with a proper borders and testing policybthat would mean we could all live normally and still be able to travel?

And so showing the world we are cutting edge and forward thinking, increasing inward investment, and all having better lives?

You are probably right.  You definitely work for government and I am not aware of any experts there in anything

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What happens next time? Just lockdown again?

Yes. But a tighter border closure, longer quarantines and more testing until this thing is over would probably prevent that. 

Contact tracing apps are basically about telling people that they've possibly already been infected. That's too late. 

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

You definitely work for government and I am not aware of any experts there in anything

Of course I don't work for the government. I'm 100% free market private sector. Not even feeding on a government contract or grants.

What's with this idiotic assumption that everyone who isn't constantly critical of govt must work for them? That's moronic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Apart from selling the solution (that we could have developed months ago) worldwide, and combining it with a proper borders and testing policybthat would mean we could all live normally and still be able to travel?

And so showing the world we are cutting edge and forward thinking, increasing inward investment, and all having better lives?

You are probably right.  You definitely work for government and I am not aware of any experts there in anything

Yes, lots of opportunities for real expertise in both the private and public sector to work collaboratively for the benefit of the island and more widely.  But no, completely hamstrung.

40 minutes ago, jaymann said:

It could be live in 4 weeks, testing in 2.

They are less effective in bigger populations. I hate to be *one of them* but Jerseys has been a blessing to help them squash their recent clusters because they have 60% of the population using it, which is far easier in smaller jurisdictions to achieve.

The thinking of my team is it should be a mixture of mobile app and also an aggregated 'register' of contacts in high risk venues such as restaurants. Bit more complex than that but theoretically we could identify and issue directives to self isolate high risk contacts within 15 minutes rather than days and asking people to come forward.

Oh it absolutely could have worked, but unless we are expecting a third lockdown then it’s largely pointless. I can’t see them being stupid enough to drop the 1, 7 and 13 day tests now and that was the only reason it came back here, a few cases slipping through the hole in the net.

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Yes. But a tighter border closure, longer quarantines and more testing until this thing is over would probably prevent that. 

Contact tracing apps are basically about telling people that they've possibly already been infected. That's too late. 

If that's the case why bother with contact tracing at all?

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If that's the case why bother with contact tracing at all?

Exactly. If we can quickly identify clusters and contacts we can avoid these harsh lockdowns. The current situation where it takes days or relies on people to come forward isn't satisfactory.