IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't forget the unrest and march on Tynwald caused by Manx Gas pricing policy. That stirred them into action 😂

And the toilet tax, don't forget the toilet tax.

That petition got over 6,000 signatures.

Edited by Barlow

9 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Letter sent to my MHK. I don't expect the earth to move but at least I might find out why their not using Dr Glover

Out of interest, who is your MHK? Mine are Ashford and Peake.  If I write to DA, it is likely it will end up in the shredder!  (Joking, I would send an email which cannot be destroyed.) And other than having been in the DHSC, I am not convinced Peake has any particular position or would take up the cudgel. 

I just wonder if there is any MHK who has declared a stance on this who may be fired into more action if they received several emails. 

Unfortunately,  this lot seem to base their electorate temperature-taking on the views on FB.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Unfortunately,  this lot seem to base their electorate temperature-taking on the views on FB.

Which is an interesting tactic as there is no guarantee that those people will be in their catchment area

I know someone who commented/trolled posts from Jason Moorhouse and he offered to meet for a coffee to discuss it. Very good attitude in one sense from Jason but as the person lived in Douglas.... a bit of a time thief engagement

Firstly, thank you for the informative and entertaining thread!

On the subject of Dr. Glover, for me it's another example of government over here neglecting to listen or use someone of higher technical knowledge or experience due to egoic reasons, ignorance and because their face doesn't fit. She would provide a better service at this crucial time than anyone else on island, it's as simple as that.

I've encountered this kind of situation multiple times in various work projects. I know people who have left the island for similar reasons. Some people love being in charge and being at top of hierachies even if they are ill equipped to be there and neglect people 'below' them despite them being far better qualified, more experienced or having an increased level of knowledge in specific areas.

At the end of the day we pay the government employees with our taxes and unfortunately government is going to provide a low quality service in so many areas if we continue down this route. Needless to say many governments are like this, but you hope that over here that we still have the sense of right and wrong which has completely left places like the adjacent island and the US.

Hopefully we get through this. There would have been no need to re-lockdown if we had continued testing returnees and if necessary extend the isolation period on return to 21 days to put people off travelling.

Stay safe!

Edited by Source of Gravity
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, quilp said:

That's right, 6000 people bothered, then it all went to shit. 

The petition was passed around a Tynwald sitting. The members scathingly glanced through the list of names. I remember one Onchan member (not Quirkie, although he was a toilet tax supporter) gleefully landed on one name, declaring he had found someone called M.Mouse. He sneered at the petition and dismissively passed it on.

That particular MHK was defeated at the next general election. A small crumb of comfort but I like to think it was in no small part due to this episode.

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

And that never got off the starting grid. 

Oh it did, we still have a MGP, although John Shimmin was dismissive of petitions as a way of getting the public's feelings across, it doesn't leave many legal actions available. I think that the threat of disruption to the TT may have had some bearing on things too? 

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

And the toilet tax, don't forget the toilet tax.

That petition got over 6,000 signatures.

And it was effective in the end.  The flat rate 'toilet tax' was abolished and the charges made through the rates.  Still not completely fair and still with elements of poorer, urban dwellers subsidising richer, rural ones, but not as dramatically as before.