IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 7/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, Mr Newbie said:

I have to say I’ve just laughed out loud listening to Howard Quayle on the radio. How right he was. All these people now kicking off that Guernsey is piloting some scheme with the UK and those going to Guernsey might now be at risk. You know what? If you’re worried about the risks don’t go on bloody holiday! Getting sick and tired of all these end of the world moaners bitching like frightened children. Don’t book a holiday, don’t go anywhere, don’t do anything at all if you’re expecting governments to give you the assurance that you will be 100% ok as that won’t be happening. You don’t have to go to Guernsey so if you’re not happy don’t bloody well go. As the Chief Minister said we have to open up sometime as we can’t be like Brigadoon forever (classic!).

We seem to have reached the very pinnacle of insularity. Welcome to Brigadoon! It’s time government started ignoring all this crap and told a whole pile of them to STFU. 

I'm normally with you on the need for normality for the overwhelming majority of young and healthy people and the economy, however I can see why there is a beef with this situation. Flights to Guernsey were offered on the principle of a "bubble" between the two Islands, and apparently they sold out very quickly. Now they are moving the goalposts and it will be the Isle of Man, Guernsey and anyone who comes in from Poole. It isn't quite what was sold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm normally with you on the need for normality for the overwhelming majority of young and healthy people and the economy, however I can see why there is a beef with this situation. Flights to Guernsey were offered on the principle of a "bubble" between the two Islands, and apparently they sold out very quickly. Now they are moving the goalposts and it will be the Isle of Man, Guernsey and anyone who comes in from Poole. It isn't quite what was sold.

did they do the prom design too ?

3 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

At this rate I can see a Carthage Owners Club (IOM Chapter).

Oh dear.

I met the other 2 known owners at the Point of Ayre a couple of weeks ago. TBF on has a Malibu.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

But it’s all a movable feast. If anyone thinks it’s all just going to stand still as they go on holiday then as I said - don’t go on holiday. You don’t have to go on holiday. A holiday is a luxury in this environment. Plenty are deciding to holiday at home. So why moan when it’s all about taking calculated risks? If you don’t want to take calculated risks then just stay here. But then again we might decide to trial things like Guernsey did too. But as I also said above the risks associated with what Guernsey is trialing (testing / isolation as a backstop) seem negligible anyway. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

1 hour ago, woolley said:

No it won’t. Anyone entering Guernsey has to do 14 days supervised isolation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

But it’s all a movable feast. If anyone thinks it’s all just going to stand still as they go on holiday then as I said - don’t go on holiday. You don’t have to go on holiday. A holiday is a luxury in this environment. Plenty are deciding to holiday at home. So why moan when it’s all about taking calculated risks? If you don’t want to take calculated risks then just stay here. But then again we might decide to trial things like Guernsey did too. But as I also said above the risks associated with what Guernsey is trialing (testing / isolation as a backstop) seem negligible anyway. 

Again, I agree up to a point. Caveat emptor certainly applies to everything at the moment and of course the situation can change at any time post booking. This is understood. My contention was that they should not have sold the tickets based on one access regime and then later changed the restrictions to something making their lockdown less secure. JW tells us that 14 days quarantining is still in force in Guernsey, which would make it a moot point.

54 minutes ago, woolley said:

Again, I agree up to a point. Caveat emptor certainly applies to everything at the moment and of course the situation can change at any time post booking. This is understood. My contention was that they should not have sold the tickets based on one access regime and then later changed the restrictions to something making their lockdown less secure. JW tells us that 14 days quarantining is still in force in Guernsey, which would make it a moot point.

Yes I get that but these are not “government holidays” (either on the IOM or Guernsey side) they are private arrangements booked through a travel agent. No guarantees as to anything apply. If you’re concerned in any way don’t book. I really find it hard to accept that people are moaning about holidays they themselves decided to book based on the information they themselves had to hand at the time. I won’t be going on holiday this year as I accept things are changing by the minute. I could spend £3k to book to go to Spain now. But realistically where I’ve theoretically booked in Spain could be locked down tomorrow and I’ve just set fire to £3k for nothing. People are just stupid expecting  things not to change just because they’re going on holiday. 

• Like 2

Regarding Guernsey, as usual the magic of the internet means that you can actually find out what the situation is.  According to the official website of the Bailiwick:

Through the Emergency Powers (Coronavirus) (General Provision) (Bailiwick of Guernsey) (No. 3) Regulations, 2020, the Civil Contingencies Authority has imposed a requirement on all persons arriving in the Bailiwick from anywhere in the world to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival. This is a legal requirement, and failure to comply is a criminal offence. In your 14 days of mandatory isolation, you must not leave your accommodation and you must not leave the Island.

Please note that there will be a 7-day mandatory self-isolation trial period for those arriving into Guernsey between 5-10th July 2020 via Condor and Aurigny only. Those who take part in this trial must adhere to the following: For days 1-7, you must not leave your accommodation and you must not leave the Island. Once you have received your negative COVID-19 test, during days 8-14 you are under passive surveillance (details below). This means that you must not leave the Island until after day 14 of arriving.

So there is a trial loosening of the 14 day quarantine for those who have been arriving over a certain period where are allowed out of quarantine after 7 days if they test negative to a test on the seventh day.  There are still restriction on them in the following seven days however (see further details on the accordion).

This does not apply to the Isle of Man:

On Thursday 25 June, the Governments of Guernsey and the Isle of Man announced the launch of an ‘Air Bridge’ allowing travel between the jurisdictions without the need for self-isolating on arrival.

[...] It is anticipated that commercial flights will begin in July, running for an initial six-week period. Aurigny – Guernsey’s airline – is due to announce details of flight schedules and ticket sales in the week commencing 29th June. 

• Thanks 1