IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, manxst said:

It has already been pointed out both here on the Island and across that it will be impossible to eradicate the virus completely for any length of time. 
https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/obliterating-the-virus-is-unrealistic/

Self evidently, the chair of Liberal Vannin is not a definitive source. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TheTeapot said:

We are in a lockdown for fucks sake. One which was sadly predictable and entirely avoidable, and not supported by the governments own emergency plan.

There is nothing, nothing at all, to stick up for the government for.

I think we are in lockdown because we took too many risks. Nothing to do with genomic testing. We allowed lots of people to re-enter the country from an area of high infection rate. Based on risk/possibility we got caught out. I'm not sticking up for that. It was madness. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's what I am saying. But others can't see that. 

It has already been stated by government officials including Dr Ewart that having zero virus cases forever is unrealistic. The aim is to control rather than eradicate. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I think we are in lockdown because we took too many risks. Nothing to do with genomic testing. We allowed lots of people to re-enter the country from an area of high infection rate. Based on risk/possibility we got caught out. I'm not sticking up for that. It was madness. 

And ignored the emerging view that 14 days was potentially not long enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

And because we ignored the views and advice of a certain Dr Glover back in October stating we should implement a 1/7/13 day test scheme. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Spot on!

Persony I would much rather have a track and trace app that could quickly tell people who need to isolate to isolate (rather than telling a whole location, which will be ignored, 3 days later) than the ability to retrospectively figure out where a case that could have been avoided came from.

Just now, Happier diner said:

That is a view and not a fact. It may be correct but it may also not be correct. 

It’s been widely acknowledged that later testing prior to being released from isolation would have significantly reduced or indeed eliminated the introduction of the virus on the Island. You’re clutching at straws here. 

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Persony I would much rather have a track and trace app that could quickly tell people who need to isolate to isolate (rather than telling a whole location, which will be ignored, 3 days later) than the ability to retrospectively figure out where a case that could have been avoided came from.

I’d rather have EVERY possible form of assistance available to us. What’s the problem? 

1 minute ago, manxst said:

I’d rather have EVERY possible form of assistance available to us. What’s the problem? 

To my mind an effective app is much more likely to prevent unnecessary infections.

What you are pushing for is more likely to retrospectively assist in seeing where those infections came from.

Given the plan is to hardly have any cases i know which I would prefer given the option.

In an ideal world we would have both

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Persony I would much rather have a track and trace app that could quickly tell people who need to isolate to isolate

Great in theory. But very mixed results in practice. And a huge amount of resources involved in getting enough people to actually use them - get the security settings right on their phones etc. There are few examples of this approach being effective.

And, it's anonymous. The tracing people will have no record of who has actually been contacted or whether they have complied.

3 minutes ago, manxst said:

It’s been widely acknowledged that later testing prior to being released from isolation would have significantly reduced or indeed eliminated the introduction of the virus on the Island. You’re clutching at straws here. 

Don't think so mate. Have I expressed any view on testing? Quote me. All I have said if that I do not see a benefit in genomic testing.

Test and trace yes 

Test before release from isolation yes 

21 days yes 

Don't allow selfish so and so that's choose to leave the island back in.

New Zealand style quarantine yes 

Genomic testing facility on island no 

Just my views.

Just now, pongo said:

Great in theory. But very mixed results in practice. And a huge amount of resources involved in getting enough people to actually use them - get the security settings right on their phones etc. There are few examples of this approach being effective.

And, it's anonymous. The tracing people will have no record of who has actually been contacted or whether they have complied.

I agree. Only trouble is could we actually achieve it?

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. Only trouble is could we actually achieve it?

Yes, very easily and with the right laws (we already lock people up) the track and trace team could easily know who was pinged.

We are very compliant.  Kts failed in places where huge numbers of people.test positive every day.

In a small population where you get the very occasional case it could be a very powerful tool