IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Having considered all options Dilli - you are one brown nosing snivelling Govt Shill - Flounce away please 

But JW is no Gov. apologist. Why do you feel you  you need  to say that.?

Edited by dilligaf

45 minutes ago, Newbie said:

The contact tracers and people who organised the tests could also tell us without the need for genome testing. I am not saying that genome sequencing doesn't have it's place, but not in answering this particular query

I love your optimism. 

Unfortunately, people do, and have, lied to contact tracers in the last year. Their consciences tended to become clearer when their own health status becomes more precarious, but by then it could be too late to trace anyone they came into contact with. 

For example (purely hypothetically), someone who swears blind that they didn't break isolation might be a little more honest if presented with some data that shows that 10 people who state they were in a particular location on a specific date have exactly the same 30,000 letters of viral RNA as theirs (i.e. they caught it from that person). It tends to sharpen the memory. 

Unfortunately the punitive measures in place by the government for breaking isolation have an unintended consequence: people lie through their teeth to contact tracers when they test positive for fear of punitive measures like a holiday in Jurby. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Last week Dr Ewart said that all of the positive swabs are sent to Liverpool for genomic analysis. If this is the case, would there still be anything on island for Dr Glover to analyse even if the ice was broken in her relationship with IOMG? I'm genuinely not sure how it works hence the question.

5 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I love your optimism. 

Unfortunately, people do, and have, lied to contact tracers in the last year. Their consciences tended to become clearer when their own health status becomes more precarious, but by then it could be too late to trace anyone they came into contact with. 

For example (purely hypothetically), someone who swears blind that they didn't break isolation might be a little more honest if presented with some data that shows that 10 people who state they were in a particular location on a specific date have exactly the same 30,000 letters of viral RNA as theirs (i.e. they caught it from that person). It tends to sharpen the memory. 

Unfortunately the punitive measures in place by the government for breaking isolation have an unintended consequence: people lie through their teeth to contact tracers when they test positive for fear of punitive measures like a holiday in Jurby. 

Coincidentally this is why forensic science exists. Witnesses and recollection can't always be relied upon. Science tends to show what really happened. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I love your optimism. 

I take your point there, but the response that I was commenting upon was answering the question whether any of today's positive results were people who were already in isolation as a result of high risk contacts through either St Mary's or Truth Wine bar. I was just pointing out that the contact tracers would know whether todays positives were already self isolating and if they were they would know why they were self isolating without the need for genome sequencing. I can absolutely see the role for that, but suggesting that it was needed to answer this particular query seemed to be pushing it a bit

5 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Last week Dr Ewart said that all of the positive swabs are sent to Liverpool for genomic analysis. If this is the case, would there still be anything on island for Dr Glover to analyse even if the ice was broken in her relationship with IOMG? I'm genuinely not sure how it works hence the question.

As I understand it, the elephant in the room is that public health and CoMIN are of the understanding that Livepool will only be delivering a lineage (i.e. B.1.1.7). That's not the case, it's just that they don't understand the data nor where to look for the genome sequences themselves. 

Once someone like me has their sticky mitts on the actual genome sequences all kind of possibilities become apparent. Like who gave it to who. It's literally that sensitive a technique. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Just now, rachomics said:

As I understand it, the elephant in the room is that public health and CoMIN are of the understanding that Livepool will only be delivering a lineage (i.e. B.1.1.7). That's not the case, it's just that they don't understand the data nor where to look for the genome sequences themselves. 

Once someone like me has their sticky mitts on the actual genome sequences all kind of possibilities become apparent. Like who gave it to who. It's literally that sensitive a technique. 

Plus...Liverpool are taking up to a week to turn around even these results?

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

Thanks - I appreciate that. In layman terms you are saying that once Liverpool have sent the data back, you would be able to work with it to follow the paper trail of infection. My previous question may be mute if that data is going to be on Island soon anyway, but I was interested to know if the whole positive swab is sent across and once thats happened, the chance to get it done quickly in your lab is lost.