IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Here's a question based on this info from that link...

"The other seven cases are close contacts of someone who tested positive for the virus having travelled to the Island."

What on earth is going on where someone who has traveled here can be in contact with at least 7 people to`infect them? 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"The other seven cases are close contacts of someone who tested positive for the virus having travelled to the Island."

What on earth is going on where someone who has traveled here can be in contact with at least 7 people to`infect them? 

I read that as meaning one of two things...a very big family isolating together, or that they were the isolating close contacts of the person who tested positive after they had exited their post travel quarantine - ie the Ramsey NYE case. If the latter is the case, lets hope all the close contacts were identified!

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

I read that as meaning one of two things...a very big family isolating together, or that they were the isolating close contacts of the person who tested positive after they had exited their post travel quarantine - ie the Ramsey NYE case. If the latter is the case, lets hope all the close contacts identified!

I thought that returning travellers were no longer allowed to isolate with their family unless the family had travelled with them, in which case they would have been described as returning travellers themselves rather than close contacts of a returning traveller

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Looks like the self-isolation policy could be a bit leaky...? Quelle surprise.

• Like 1

Just now, Newbie said:

I thought that returning travellers were no longer allowed to isolate with their family unless the family had travelled with them, in which case they would have been described as returning travellers themselves rather than close contacts of a returning traveller

Good point well made. So its the likely the latter then.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It’s nothing more than a spin on words so they aren’t deemed community cases. It’s a returning traveller who went out after 14 days isolation, went on to infect at least 7 others and when they went on to develop symptoms they tested positive, few days later anyone in the high risk location is deemed a ‘close contact’ and also told to self isolate, it’s taken about 2 weeks now for them to also develop symptoms as it’s the new strain they don’t want to talk about.

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

As long as the new cases were in isolation I’m not bothered!

Well technically speaking the new cases would have been in the community for around 3-4 days before being told to self isolate, it’s unlikely they would have been shedding though at such an early stage, fingers crossed if they did self isolate correctly that it should be nipped in the bud and they would have been unlikely to infect anyone else.

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I would like the government to engage in less spin and more honesty.

I'm fucking furious that we're all locked down because of this. It's outrageous. 

I think what most people who are saying track and trace is enough are missing, is that if you have a handle on who is giving it to who, how and why, then you avoid the need for a lockdown.

A lockdown is simply the last resort to try and get things under control, ideally whilst you ramp up track & trace.

Suddenly, the big bad virus becomes significantly more manageable.

There's only so much someone ringing you up can do. How are you expected to remember a week later every shop you went into, where you blew your nose and where you passed wind? Especially if you've gone for a mooch round town, or a night on the town.

Genomics can catch those missed places, allowing you to backtrack and test for where else it may have gone.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Could it be that is passed through travel? Onboard flight, passing through airport? Does seem weird.

I've also known groups of students return together and club together for accommodation.

2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Could it be that is passed through travel? Onboard flight, passing through airport? Does seem weird.

I've also known groups of students return together and club together for accommodation.

Probably family members of one of the clusters, eg Truth bar 

29 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s nothing more than a spin on words so they aren’t deemed community cases. It’s a returning traveller who went out after 14 days isolation, went on to infect at least 7 others and when they went on to develop symptoms they tested positive, few days later anyone in the high risk location is deemed a ‘close contact’ and also told to self isolate, it’s taken about 2 weeks now for them to also develop symptoms as it’s the new strain they don’t want to talk about.

Perhaps staged release from isolation is needed. I know people who have met up at 14 days plus 1 minute from their isolation. They've assumed a factor of safety inteh 14 days, and have just 'gone for it'.

So after isolation:

1. Allowed outside for exercise

2. Go shopping (keep receipts to track movements)

3. Go to the 1886 discotheque etc.

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Perhaps staged release from isolation is needed. I know people who have met up at 14 days plus 1 minute from their isolation.

so after isolation:

1. Allowed outside for exercise

2. Go shopping (keep receipts to track movements)

3. Go to the 1886 discotheque etc.

Well they can’t meet anyone at present as we’re in lockdown!!

• Like 1