IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That makes it worse though.  The alternative scenarios here are:

(a) Someone travelled, broke quarantine and then went out and infected a close contact.

(b) Someone travelled, spent 14 days in isolation, passed Day 1 and Day 13 (and maybe day 6/7) tests - which have been there for people finishing isolation on 4 Jan or after, left quarantine and then infected a close contact.

It's bad enough if there's one of these.  If there's up to seven ...

Isn't it possible that we have 3 or 4 returning residents who were quarantining with a few others who picked up the virus late on in the quarantine period? 

Meaning they were all "released" at day 14 but some of the family were infected without knowing?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I would like the government to engage in less spin and more honesty.

I'm fucking furious that we're all locked down because of this. It's outrageous. 

Did you just use honesty and government in the same sentence?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Yep. Yes/no questions are the last type you ask if you actually want any useful information. You need to ask who/what/why/when/where. This is Information Gathering 101 ffs!

To be fair it's an Emergency Question.  So the wording will have had to be agreed with Rodan and the Clerks - you can't just say "I'd like to ask about X" and then produce your question in the same way as you would for a normal one asked further in advance, they must approve the exact wording.  And from memory such questions tend to be vague because of the excuse that Departments won't have the time to do detailed research.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair it's an Emergency Question. 

Couldn't Julie ask the CM to make statement on the current situation due to the huge public interest on social media ?

12 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Isn't it possible that we have 3 or 4 returning residents who were quarantining with a few others who picked up the virus late on in the quarantine period? 

Meaning they were all "released" at day 14 but some of the family were infected without knowing?

It's not what it says though:

The other seven cases are close contacts of someone who tested positive for the virus having travelled to the Island. Their periods of self-isolation have been extended and they will be offered further tests.

If these seven had travelled to the island themselves they would have been described with the other two cases

The first two cases were detected through the day 1/6/13 testing regime for individuals who travel to the Island.

If they had been isolating together an one of them had tested positive, then none of them should have been released.  Not released and then re-isolated.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not what it says though:

The other seven cases are close contacts of someone who tested positive for the virus having travelled to the Island. Their periods of self-isolation have been extended and they will be offered further tests.

If these seven had travelled to the island themselves they would have been described with the other two cases

The first two cases were detected through the day 1/6/13 testing regime for individuals who travel to the Island.

If they had been isolating together an one of them had tested positive, then none of them should have been released.  Not released and then re-isolated.

The term ‘close contact’ is also what they use to describe anyone who’s had likely exposure to a positive case. Its all down to the contact tracing team to contact and identify these ‘close contacts’ , if it was just one family affected then I’m almost certain they would’ve said that, the fact they haven’t makes me think it’s a cluster of cases from the likes of Truth wine bar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The term ‘close contact’ is also what they use to describe anyone who’s had likely exposure to a positive case. Its all down to the contact tracing team to contact and identify these ‘close contacts’ , if it was just one family affected then I’m almost certain they would’ve said that, the fact they haven’t makes me think it’s a cluster of cases from the likes of Truth wine bar.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the identified "close contacts" such as the Truth wine bar attendees or the school children take a day 7/8 test or is that just taken by returning travellers?

Edited by Manx Yeller

19 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if the identified "close contacts" such as the Truth wine bar attendees or the school children take a day 7/8 test or is that just taken by returning travellers?

It was mentioned earlier on in the thread that the high risk contacts in both Truth and St Mary’s school were told to remain under self isolation, even after receiving a negative test, they were then required to take second tests but the exact time frame wasn’t specified. At a guess I would assume 13 day tests, that would at least fit the time period in the case of Truth anyway, but I’m not sure if they test at 13 days after possible exposure or 13 days from first test, hopefully the press will ask the question.

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It still gives rise to other questions.  Firstly, if they were infected by a returning traveller who went through the 14 days isolation and only then developed Covid, that is extremely unlikely.  But we were told exactly the same thing about the 1886 cases.  As Lady Bracknell remarked, twice looks like carelessness.

Secondly if these are from Truth on the dates that have been specified (31 Dec and 2 Jan) then they are also right on the 14 day limit.  So it's all very odd.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Secondly if these are from Truth on the dates that have been specified (31 Dec and 2 Jan) then they are also right on the 14 day limit.  So it's all very odd.

Well a day 13 test would also receive results on day 14, that’s the only reason I think it could be truth, they know the new strain is here and it’s suggested it stays incubated for a much longer period, I’ll be very surprised if none were to crop up.

6 hours ago, Manx Yeller said:

I know someone well who was involved in contact at the truth bar and he has been tested 1. straightaway 2. at 7 days and 3. at 13 days. All negative. 

5 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

It was mentioned earlier on in the thread that the high risk contacts in both Truth and St Mary’s school were told to remain under self isolation, even after receiving a negative test, they were then required to take second tests but the exact time frame wasn’t specified. At a guess I would assume 13 day tests, that would at least fit the time period in the case of Truth anyway, but I’m not sure if they test at 13 days after possible exposure or 13 days from first test, hopefully the press will ask the question.

So if the 1886 case could have been spotted if we had tested the key workers on day 7/8, if we aren't doing this for close contacts, is this not just risking exactly the same thing happening again?