IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

The IOM today news site make me laugh , if you were new here, and wondered which news stories were upsetting or perplexing to the voting public, it would be simple for you to identify areas of concern.

Anything which could possibly attract any criticism of government, however slight, does not have a comment section attached ! simples !, and ... in the event they didn't realise something would not be well received, the comments section will disappear , even on Christmas day !

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

So if the 1886 case could have been spotted if we had tested the key workers on day 7/8, if we aren't doing this for close contacts, is this not just risking exactly the same thing happening again? 

Well anything low risk such as 1886 was one initial test and then free to go, but all were told to be on the look for any symptoms. Any spread seems unlikely now as so much time has passed.

25 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If you're on Twitter, please reply to Ms Edge tweet.  If not then do send her an email.  The more people who back the asking of this question, the more weight it will carry.

Julie has got several good questions down this week on vaccinations etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manx Yeller said:

So if the 1886 case could have been spotted if we had tested the key workers on day 7/8, if we aren't doing this for close contacts, is this not just risking exactly the same thing happening again? 

It seems to me that we are....but not 100% sure as I only know one example.

Perhaps it based on how close the contact is and the risk associated. I guess there has to be some judgement made otherwise everyone who was inappropriate place would have to isolate and have 3 tests. Probably not practical to do this.

Notwithstanding all this, whatever we did seems to have worked as they all closed down and the lockdown has not really contributed to that as all the life cycles have been completed now.

The lockdown may mask other infection routes that would have started, but we will never know

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This confirms it

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=60054&headline=Nine new cases of Covid-19&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

If it's true it makes we wonder what all the fuss is about with this genomic testing. Treat every case like it's the most infections strain.

You don't understand genomics.

Neither did I or many of us until a few months back though, let's be honest.

It's not JUST a matter of identifying the strain, it's about identifying the path it took to infect the person and ultimately establishing the source of the infection too.

it would be a huge help in stopping these 'we don't know where they got it from' cases we have cropping up recently. Identify the source, nip the chain in the bud and avoid further lockdowns.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I know someone well who was involved in contact at the truth bar and he has been tested 1. straightaway 2. at 7 days and 3. at 13 days. All negative. 

Strange, St Mary's are only having two tests. Must be because the first test was close to 7 days after contact.

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Well a day 13 test would also receive results on day 14, that’s the only reason I think it could be truth, they know the new strain is here and it’s suggested it stays incubated for a much longer period, I’ll be very surprised if none were to crop up.

Oh I see that, it's just that we were told that there had been none so far from Truth and it would be an odd pattern to pick up none at Day 1 or 6/7 (where you'd expect the most) but seven at Day 13.  But as usual the information from Government is scanty and not always accurate.

I've not seen anything firm that suggests the new Kent strain has a longer incubation period, just some speculation among other possibilities.  It does seem to produce a higher viral load and so be more infectious, but if anything I would see that as reducing the incubation time.

Maybe we've got a new Manx strain with a longer incubation period.  If only we had a way of sequencing its genome to find out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaymann said:

It's not JUST a matter of identifying the strain, it's about identifying the path it took to infect the person and ultimately establishing the source of the infection too.

it would be a huge help in stopping these 'we don't know where they got it from' cases we have cropping up recently. Identify the source, nip the chain in the bud and avoid further lockdowns.

That's not quite right though is it

Genomics is the study of Genes.  What you are talking about is what you do with the information.

If you had said you need the information to "identifying the path it took to infect the person and ultimately establishing the source of the infection too." That would have been a more credible comment

I agree it would be a help. Huge help? Mmm!, not so sure

19 minutes ago, jaymann said:

PS I clearly understand genomics more than you. I have have studied them af university, it's not my field admitted, and I am well rusty, but I least I understand the definition 

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If it's true it makes we wonder what all the fuss is about with this genomic testing. Treat every case like it's the most infections strain.

You aren't really understanding the point of it, as confirmed by your second sentence.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You aren't really understanding the point of it, as confirmed by your second sentence.

Just a troll. His very next post states “I agree it would be a help”. Leave the troll to endlessly run in circles and ask the same question ad infinitum. Those who are able and want to educate have done as much as they can.