IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, manxst said:

Just a troll. His very next post states “I agree it would be a help”. Leave the troll to endlessly run in circles and ask the same question ad infinitum. Those who are able and want to educate have done as much as they can. 

I'm not a troll. You don't like it because I don't agree with you. They are different things. I put forward an objective view. I think we should be doing more testing but I honestly don't see how genomics can help an island with no community cases. 

I have maintained the consistent stance that there would be marginal benefit to understand the strains and that if we had complex cases with intertwined infection then it would be bigger help.

I don't doubt the science or its potential

Thing is though we are not in that situation and in my view we should be focusing our energies on vaccination. It's just a view, you have yours, I have mine.

I have the right to stick up for myself if people insult me or spout nonsense.

43 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Strange, St Mary's are only having two tests. Must be because the first test was close to 7 days after contact.

Everyone I know who was at Truth and had to self isolate had 2 tests. One on the Wednesday (so 4 days after contact) and one on day 13. Whole household had to self isolate (no exercise allowed) but only the attendees were tested.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

I'm not a troll. You don't like it because I don't agree with you. They are different things. I put forward an objective view. I think we should be doing more testing but I honestly don't see how genomics can help an island with no community cases. 

I have maintained the consistent stance that there would be marginal benefit to understand the strains and that if we had complex cases with intertwined infection then it would be bigger help.

Thing is though we are not in that situation and in my view we should be focusing our energies on vaccination. It's just a view, you have yours, I have mine.

It’s not about agreeing with me- it’s the countless other people including medical professionals, or the published articles, or the EVIDENCE that you are refusing to accept. Even though you “agree it will be a help”. We DO have community cases, but simply because of the government definition, they are not classed as such. We also have cases where it is unknown where the virus originated and where/how it was passed on. ALL this has been explained many times before, yesterday. You are stuck and unable to see reason, despite having it in front of your face. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, manxst said:

It’s not about agreeing with me- it’s the countless other people including medical professionals, or the published articles, or the EVIDENCE that you are refusing to accept. Even though you “agree it will be a help”. We DO have community cases, but simply because of the government definition, they are not classed as such. We also have cases where it is unknown where the virus originated and where/how it was passed on. ALL this has been explained many times before, yesterday. You are stuck and unable to see reason, despite having it in front of your

That'll be yes then. I'm saying no more. My view is my view and you are not going to change it.

7 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Everyone I know who was at Truth and had to self isolate had 2 tests. One on the Wednesday (so 4 days after contact) and one on day 13. Whole household had to self isolate (no exercise allowed) but only the attendees were tested.

That was my experience too (based on the knowledge that I had of the incident). Seems appropriate to me.

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

we should be focusing our energies on vaccination.

This.

We should be applying pressure on IOMG to stop this silly nonsense of 'building' vax centres. It's not necessary and an utter waste of money. Localised centres such as church or parish halls will do just as well providing there' are separate entrance and exits. Why? Because that's where the people are. They are moving/sending people on a journey that's not really necessary and increases the possibility of transmission across a larger area. If that happens then they will need Dr. Glover's services.

Once the Oxford is run along side the Pfizer vaccine then they should getting the stock to the local points of vaccination.

It can be done. But they won't do that because it's lazy government. And I will be very surprised if the Rachel Glover issue will be resolved either.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

This.

We should be applying pressure on IOMG to stop this silly nonsense of 'building' vax centres. It's not necessary and an utter waste of money. Localised centres such as church or parish halls will do just as well providing there' are separate entrance and exits. Why? Because that's where the people are. They are moving/sending people on a journey that's not really necessary and increases the possibility of transmission across a larger area. If that happens then they will need Dr. Glover's services.

Once the Oxford is run along side the Pfizer vaccine then they should getting the stock to the local points of vaccination.

It can be done. But they won't do that because it's lazy government. And I will be very surprised if the Rachel Glover issue will be resolved either.

You’re right, 2 expensive centers is a complete waste of money.

My mum’s friend has her appointment scheduled at Nobles but doesn’t drive and lives in port Erin so is getting a taxi @ £70 return! Asked if she could go anywhere else , told no

12 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think what most people who are saying track and trace is enough are missing, is that if you have a handle on who is giving it to who, how and why, then you avoid the need for a lockdown.

A lockdown is simply the last resort to try and get things under control, ideally whilst you ramp up track & trace.

Suddenly, the big bad virus becomes significantly more manageable.

There's only so much someone ringing you up can do. How are you expected to remember a week later every shop you went into, where you blew your nose and where you passed wind? Especially if you've gone for a mooch round town, or a night on the town.

Genomics can catch those missed places, allowing you to backtrack and test for where else it may have gone.

So can an app.  Much more quickly

Just now, Banker said:

You’re right, 2 expensive centers is a complete waste of money.

My mum’s friend has her appointment scheduled at Nobles but doesn’t drive and lives in port Erin so is getting a taxi @ £70 return! Asked if she could go anywhere else , told no

Ridiculous situation. It surely couldn't be beyond the wit of man to have a quantity of vaccines available in the south of the island? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's not quite right though is it

Genomics is the study of Genes.  What you are talking about is what you do with the information.

If you had said you need the information to "identifying the path it took to infect the person and ultimately establishing the source of the infection too." That would have been a more credible comment

I agree it would be a help. Huge help? Mmm!, not so sure

It would be a useful point of reference and understanding. Pre-lockdown with the first hints at community spread, it could have been invaluable for identifying some of those transmission chains. That opportunity has long gone.

Even now, the value is understanding how it relates to the contact tracing that has taken place, and whether that could in fact be improved, or whether there are other measures that need to be implemented. If contact tracing is, for lack of a better term, shit hot, then you skirt the need for lockdown.

Introspection and review are two very important parts of governmental policy making, well, until you step foot onto UK or Manx soil anyway.

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We aren't simply talking about the strains, we're talking about identifying here, with the expertise on island, exactly who gave it to who in the transmission chains. It's not just, "oo-eck Jim, we need to be careful, we gots that there new strain".

We're in a situation where the vaccine program will progress slowly but surely, with easy targets and trays sat in the fridge in case the boat doesn't run. That isn't liable to change, unless we end up with a windfall in terms of supply.

• Like 1

If the cases yesterday were from truth, let's just hope that everyone who was there that we had no real record of and who were asked voluntarily to contact 111 and put themselves into 14 fay isolation did so.  I doubt it, but let's hope they did.

Also the chatter on here a week or so ago about how people should be able to exercise where they want but window cleaners shouldn't work in case they fall off a ladder.  Coastguard turn out yesterday and trip to nobles for some jobber who couldn't settle their arse at home and injured themselves on Peel Hill.

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If you're on Twitter, please reply to Ms Edge tweet.  If not then do send her an email.  The more people who back the asking of this question, the more weight it will carry.

Done it via email. Am I being cynical in thinking that any other questions asked on the Mannin line today will only be comfortable and non-demanding if Wint is chairing it..? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Done it via email. Am I being cynical in thinking that any other questions asked on the Mannin line today will only be comfortable and non-demanding if Wint is chairing it..? 

No, you are certainly not being cynical, Wint comes across as another Govt. stooge not willing to even consider draining the swamp.

• Like 1