IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

So can an app.  Much more quickly

Can we discuss the inherent flaws in bluetooth range detection, compliance, digital divide etc.?

Guessing the distance people passed between with Bluetooth beacons is poor at best, it can vary massively depending on whether your phone is in your pocket, or your hand etc. The algorithms are a best guess. Data helps refine those.

You also need to get everyone on the app, which can be a challenge of both compliance and technical ability.

The app doesn't tell you when it's too late either, it's a prophylactic. It works well if you've got somewhere like a bar or restaurant with an outbreak. In our case, without that, the fact it was a pre-booked event on NYE was really a huge stroke of luck.

None of us are saying that one approach is the sole approach you take. You have to take a diverse approach to cover all bases.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Whole household had to self isolate (no exercise allowed) but only the attendees were tested.

How much would it cost to test the whole household, compared to lockdown and furlough?

Isn't this how covid possibly got out in to the community recently?

28 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It would be a useful point of reference and understanding. Pre-lockdown with the first hints at community spread, it could have been invaluable for identifying some of those transmission chains. That opportunity has long gone.

Even now, the value is understanding how it relates to the contact tracing that has taken place, and whether that could in fact be improved, or whether there are other measures that need to be implemented. If contact tracing is, for lack of a better term, shit hot, then you skirt the need for lockdown.

Introspection and review are two very important parts of governmental policy making, well, until you step foot onto UK or Manx soil anyway.

We aren't simply talking about the strains, we're talking about identifying here, with the expertise on island, exactly who gave it to who in the transmission chains. It's not just, "oo-eck Jim, we need to be careful, we gots that there new strain".

We're in a situation where the vaccine program will progress slowly but surely, with easy targets and trays sat in the fridge in case the boat doesn't run. That isn't liable to change, unless we end up with a windfall in terms of supply.

That sounds pragmatic approach to me. It considers our situation rather than merely adopting measures that clearly are not appropriate for us at this moment in time.

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

Done it via email. Am I being cynical in thinking that any other questions asked on the Mannin line today will only be comfortable and non-demanding if Wint is chairing it..? 

Guaranteed that only vetted questions will be asked, and "bint" will not rock the boat, he is hopeless on the Mannin line, bring back Stu! I know he was not to everyone's taste but he had balls!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

If the cases yesterday were from truth, let's just hope that everyone who was there that we had no real record of and who were asked voluntarily to contact 111 and put themselves into 14 fay isolation did so.  I doubt it, but let's hope they did.

Also the chatter on here a week or so ago about how people should be able to exercise where they want but window cleaners shouldn't work in case they fall off a ladder.  Coastguard turn out yesterday and trip to nobles for some jobber who couldn't settle their arse at home and injured themselves on Peel Hill.

How do you know it was a jobber & it was a Sunday!

We walked up there on Friday and then had crab baps at kiosk on breakwater, busy and everyone enjoying the fresh air etc , got to have some enjoyment!!

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, with a question phrased like that, I can easily see the reply. "No."

You're right of course, but only an utter numpty would answer such a question like that. One or two of the clever smug boys have tried that silly trick for a cheap laugh from their equally smug colleagues.

But Julie Edge isn't stupid and will I am sure offer supplementary questions. And I would hope so would other MHKs, but it seems they are all still star struck by the MBE or something. 

This is a matter of national importance (and beyond?) probably the most important issues to have hit Tynwald ever. Let's see how the boys perform this afternoon, and then in Tynwald questions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

How do you know it was a jobber & it was a Sunday!

We walked up there on Friday and then had crab baps at kiosk on breakwater, busy and everyone enjoying the fresh air etc , got to have some enjoyment!!

That's fine.  The issue is the stupid and inconsistent rules.

Crab bap and a walk up Peel Hill to result in a coastguard turnout and trio to nobles.

Dave the window cleaner can't work while not being anywhere near anyone, nor earn or qualify for any government support.

The guidance about what is "allowed" is wooly and vague, leading to annoyance from those who are entering into the real spirit of lockdown and doing as the police ask when they see others jollying all over the island.

Also interesting that lots I do know who have driven for a walk or who are out in plantations etc are keeping it to themselves as they are bright enough to realise that although doing nothing wrong it would probably annoy a few.

Not my friends who are teachers or civil servants though.  FB and Instagram are full of tales of their days out 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Ridiculous situation. It surely couldn't be beyond the wit of man to have a quantity of vaccines available in the south of the island? 

£70 to go and be vaccinated. !!! I hope that comes up at today's briefing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

You’re right, 2 expensive centers is a complete waste of money.

My mum’s friend has her appointment scheduled at Nobles but doesn’t drive and lives in port Erin so is getting a taxi @ £70 return! Asked if she could go anywhere else , told no

Is the dial-a-ride not the perfect vessel for this sort of thing? We have enough underused minibuses.

• Like 3

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Is the dial-a-ride not the perfect vessel for this sort of thing? We have enough underused minibuses.

That's an idea. We could arrange them all in a line like a train. In one end and out the other. Save the need for all that studwork and plaster board. The whole train could drive around the island slowly, scooping up vaccinees as it goes and spit them put the back. All done.:sorcerer:

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

This.

We should be applying pressure on IOMG to stop this silly nonsense of 'building' vax centres. It's not necessary and an utter waste of money. Localised centres such as church or parish halls will do just as well providing there' are separate entrance and exits. Why? Because that's where the people are. They are moving/sending people on a journey that's not really necessary and increases the possibility of transmission across a larger area. If that happens then they will need Dr. Glover's services.

Polling Stations would be absolutely ideal.

And Hey Presto! there is even a basis for a detailed list of people in each polling district and in each household. Everyone knows (should know) where their vax station is.

Or we could buy a forest of 4x2 and a mine of plasterboard and make new vaccination stations.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Surely we have a mobile library sitting somewhere on the Island. Whip out the books and voila you have a mobile vax centre.

Just now, Barlow said:

Polling Stations would be absolutely ideal.

And Hey Presto! there is even a basis for a detailed list of people in each polling district and in each household.

Ah, but they got a cracking deal on the couple of old chest freezers left in the old shoprite building. Only 10 grand each, with free peas.

2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Surely we have a mobile library sitting somewhere on the Island. Whip out the books and voila you have a mobile vax centre.

The IoMan bank have a spare bus now.......ideal !