IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

He will be.  He is the one people see as being responsible for direction etc.  He isn't about to say anything he isn't happy with is he?

'hyperbowl'  ,  i bet he wasn't happy with that.......:D

3 hours ago, quilp said:

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/08/border-checks-in-spotlight-after-passengers-not-tested/

Seems there's a lot of confusion regarding testing on arrival in Jersey. Conflicting advice given to passengers and a slow reaction on tracing travellers possibly infected.

I hope Howie and Ashey are keeping themselves up to date with what's going on over there. 

Yes, I pointed out last week that the regulations were confusing and there were possible loopholes.  If you have too many alternative ways to do something you end up with everyone uncertain what to do and not following any of them correctly.

Of course there are more people coming into the Island than people imagine in any case.  Moorhouse asked a question for last week's Keys (ie on 30 June) that gave the number of Exemptions issued between (mostly[1]) 27 May and 23 June:

Contractual Obligation 42

IOM Compassionate Grounds  208

Non-IOM Compassionate Grounds  124

Repatriation  459

Key Workers  129

Patient Transfer  190

I think 'Contractual Obligation' is those who are coming and going on a regular basis but not mixing with the general population.  Most of these will be transport workers, though most such workers will already have had certification before 27 May and so not be included in these totals.

Most of these will have been self-isolation on arrival, though there is the note: I am grateful for the Honourable Member’s clarification that the number of exemptions from self-isolation was not sought as part of this question.   I bet he is.

[1]  Some patient transfers are with dates after that - ie they are expected to go across for scheduled treatment or are already there and expected to return on that date.  And some of the people who have gone to the UK on compassionate may not yet be returned. A few patient transfers are also dated before 27 May (presumably backdated emergencies) and key workers are on date of application not entry.

The UK Govt, despite seemingly in the midst of a Covid 19 crisis, are now turning to 50% off your meal vouchers if you eat out across the country Monday through Wednesday.

Actively encouraging the public to get out and about, mixing & spending whilst our politicians remain paralysed by fear.

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I see there are protests in Serbia now after the reintroduction of restrictions following a second outbreak blamed on the easing of initial restrictions. Which included all shops reopening simultaneously and packed football stadiums for national matches (BBC News).

The Guardian provides some context:

Last week [the President] Vučić’s party won a crushing majority in a parliamentary election that was boycotted by most of the opposition, who complained over increasing authoritarianism. Some accused Vučić of ending the lockdown too early to facilitate holding the election and much of the anger at the protest was over a feeling that the security measures had been tailored to fit the political situation..

So rather than a protest against particular restrictions, it had more to do with ongoing political protests against a repressive government and an election that was conducted unfairly (in the end turnout was under 50%).

• Thanks 1

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56541&headline=The word on the street: 'Don't open our border yet'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

We really do need to have an adult conversation on the Island about risk and risk-mitigation. The debate, if there is one, is being dominated by an irrational and paranoid hysteria about Coronavirus, based on our current ability to pull up the drawbridge and prevent any infection getting to the Island. We need a discussion about how the risk can be managed and widespread infection prevented, whilst affording the population the right of freedom of movement. To believe that we can live in isolation until the virus goes away, when there is no certainty it ever will, is simplistic and ill-conceived. Will any of our politicians have the guts to start a more reasoned debate and get the public thinking of how we can live with the disease as safely as possible, like everyone else in the free world has to?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, joebean said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56541&headline=The word on the street: 'Don't open our border yet'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

We really do need to have an adult conversation on the Island about risk and risk-mitigation. The debate, if there is one, is being dominated by an irrational and paranoid hysteria about Coronavirus, based on our current ability to pull up the drawbridge and prevent any infection getting to the Island. We need a discussion about how the risk can be managed and widespread infection prevented, whilst affording the population the right of freedom of movement. To believe that we can live in isolation until the virus goes away, when there is no certainty it ever will, is simplistic and ill-conceived. Will any of our politicians have the guts to start a more reasoned debate and get the public thinking of how we can live with the disease as safely as possible, like everyone else in the free world has to?

It'll be like everything else in life these days.  They'll have to play to the lowest common denominator so you end up with policies being formed to placate and "protect" two percent of the population .

Except it isn't 2 percent of the population is it? I'd say the majority of the population agree with keeping them shut for now. It's not everyone like the article suggests on their small sample size, but I'm pretty sure a well written and decent sized study of the Islands population would come up with a reasonable majority who see it that way.

1 hour ago, joebean said:

I think the government knows this. Quayle acknowledged it only the other day with his Brigadoon comment, to be fair. They just need to reduce the ranks of the hysterical to manageable proportions, and I believe they are doing so with the 5 stage plan.

• Like 4

On 7/7/2020 at 8:37 PM, John Wright said:

No it won’t. Anyone entering Guernsey has to do 14 days supervised isolation.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, woolley said:

That wasn't the impression I had from what was said on the radio. Perhaps I heard it wrong. Will listen out for more details.

After an informative conversation with Guernsey tourist office it appears you're correct woolley, no restrictions on arrival, one can roam free Island-wide and no restrictions anywhere for Manxies. Same on return, no isolation, no checks.

Edited by quilp

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

After an informative conversation with Guernsey tourist office it appears you're correct woolley, no restrictions on arrival, one can roam free Island-wide and no restrictions anywhere for Manxies. Same on return, no isolation, no checks.

Thanks Quilpy although I had thought I heard on the radio that they were allowing trippers in from Poole to Guernsey and it was this that led me to suggest the goalposts had been moved. I can't find any evidence for it anywhere else though. 

It would appear that masks are mandatory on all Aurigny flights, though that is subject to change. The Poole issue seems to concern travel to Jersey rather than Guernsey. Jersey has faced criticism over its alleged lax testing and tracing, see my previous links... 

Edited by quilp