IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They really need to get a grip on this 2 weeks of isolation for returnees.  It's excessive and largely pointless.  Test on arrival. Isolate 6 days.  Re test. If clear then no more isolation.

Absolutely spot on.

Charge returnees £100 for the testing and get the borders open asap. Well over 1,000 have been let in to date with no testing and no cases. If there is the odd case, then track and trace. 

16 minutes ago, winnie said:

Absolutely spot on.

Charge returnees £100 for the testing and get the borders open asap. Well over 1,000 have been let in to date with no testing and no cases. If there is the odd case, then track and trace. 

Fare £25; test £100 - bargain :whatever:

Get off plane, queue up, get tested, go to accomodation and isolate until results are texted through and crack on with life. Test again in 4, 5 or 6 days.

Get off ferry, queue up, get tested, go to accomodation and isolate until results are texted through and crack on with life. Test again in 4, 5 or 6 days.

Yes, there will be long queue's, and the government will need more 'people to do the test, but there are plenty from the hospitality industry out of work to fill that role and at £100 a go it should finance itself.

I attach this without much comment about what is wrong with it. There is a list of countries that kept their borders open; did not closed down business compulsorily, or did so only very temporarily; and relied on voluntarily social distancing to slow down the spread of the virus. And did not have any of the kind of per capita death rates suggested by this disingenuous Manx questionnaire to assess people feeling about Manx government’s handling of the crisis.

856798804_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0719-24-12.thumb.jpg.5d52794ee182f72283f7824cb5ce4c64.jpg

3 minutes ago, winnie said:

Get off plane, queue up, get tested, go to accomodation and isolate until results are texted through and crack on with life. Test again in 4, 5 or 6 days.

Get off ferry, queue up, get tested, go to accomodation and isolate until results are texted through and crack on with life. Test again in 4, 5 or 6 days.

Yes, there will be long queue's, and the government will need more 'people to do the test, but there are plenty from the hospitality industry out of work to fill that role and at £100 a go it should finance itself.

Who is conducting the tests, where are they being run, how many staff needed, how many travellers per day, how many tests can be run per day? Do we have to build another lab? Buy much more hard to source and hugely expensive technical equipment? Is it worth it? 

Questions are asked about the value of human life, the costs of protecting life vs the economy etc. What is the value of greatly expanding testing capability so that people can go to Gran Canaria?

I don't know the answers, but I reckon people aren't even thinking of the questions.

6 minutes ago, winnie said:

Yes, i think £100 not to isolate for 14 days is a bargain. Many would be happy to pay much more.

£100 per household or for adults only maybe, it would make a trip to the UK for a family of four a little onerous otherwise. Also I think you would get a lot of pushback from hardworking tax paying families who resent what is essentially another travel tax just when they may be financially struggling, as well as the hospitality industry who find it hard enough to attract tourists with our travel costs.

• Like 1

I believe they can do 200 tests a day, so 1,400 per week. No doubt that can be increased to 2,000 fairly easily, which should be more than enough for a few months until things improve / relax a bit more. Then you could drop testing from some cities / counties can be deemed not required. Perhaps you would test just one person in each car on the ferry as i'd imagine if one person has the virus, so will the others.

Agree £100 test fee for a weekend in Liverpool is high, but for family's to meet up for a weekend i believe it's acceptable, and for someone going away for business it's fine.

I think the IOM could really tap into the uk tourist industry and easily charge £100 to visit a stunning island that has pubs, restaurants and all tourist attractions fully open, and as covid safe as any where in the world.

Have a look at this exchange with this forums Mr Flint and the person actually doing the testing here

the volume of testing required to test every person coming to IoM at the frequency of testing required would rapidly bankrupt the Island.

Edited by TheTeapot

54 minutes ago, Black Mirror said:

I attach this without much comment about what is wrong with it. There is a list of countries that kept their borders open; did not closed down business compulsorily, or did so only very temporarily; and relied on voluntarily social distancing to slow down the spread of the virus. And did not have any of the kind of per capita death rates suggested by this disingenuous Manx questionnaire to assess people feeling about Manx government’s handling of the crisis.

856798804_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0719-24-12.thumb.jpg.5d52794ee182f72283f7824cb5ce4c64.jpg

Those pre packaged and presented scenarios are the biggest load of bullshit I’ve ever read. Reads like typical Cabinet Office nothingness and failure to acknowledge reality and come up with meaningless benchmarks which make government look good. My best result would be 0 deaths and a 20% increase in household income and the borders remain open. There doesn’t seem to be a box for that fantasy scenario though as not meeting that fantasy benchmark would make them look bad. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

46 minutes ago, winnie said:

That doesn't work.  There's no point in doing a second test without isolation in between.  Otherwise you could have infected dozens of people in the meantime and the Island will have to go back into lockdown.

• Like 1

According to the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece today, the Islands law enforcement agency has put its investigation into the alleged breach of coronavirus regulations, allegedly committed by the visiting group of ‘essential workers’ business types from Jersey, on hold. The police and the authorities could probably do something but have decided to do nothing. 

Im sure the next stage will be to quietly forget about it, as to save upsetting anyone.

A lot of sacrifices being made by islanders, eg, unable to go off island without having to self isolate for 14 days upon return. 

Edited by 2112

Our most trusted and most powerful weapon is 14 days isolation. Nothing else touches it when it comes to preventing spread.

The incubation period varies from 3 to 14 days and asymptomatic carriers can't always be identified by testing but can spread the virus.

Keep the borders closed for now. If that pisses anyone off, then they're free to leave and go somewhere which suits their appetite for risk.

• Like 3