IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I also still haven't seen a single post that explains the risk of a bit more freedom.at the borders assuming people follow the new rules, but i have admitted defeat on that one.

You've answered it yourself. There are rules about murdering people. Or dealing drugs. Or speeding in your car.

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Sorry will have to agree to disagree.

I can see the benefit of genomics elsewhere, but not here.  I don't thinkninam the only one.

Honestly it just feels like people jumping on the Dr Glover bandwagon and deciding its something we need because she said so.

Test people, isolate people, and trace close contacts.  That's the way to beat this in my humble opinion.

I have read the whole thread and haven't seen a single post that makes me think it would make any difference to us keeping the virus away or quickly closing down any cases that leak though.

I also still haven't seen a single post that explains the risk of a bit more freedom.at the borders assuming people follow the new rules, but i have admitted defeat on that one.

But we aren't detracting from that testing, isolating and tracing. This is in addition to, not to detract from any of the other processes.

It is, at the very least, validation that we are getting it right. How many other small islands have the capability or expertise?

Quite simply, and when it's free, what's the downside?

The argument for people coming over, is the more people that are coming over and isolating, the higher the odds someone comes over and gets ill enough to need a hospital bed with it. Right or wrong, that's DA MBE's justification.

36 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It makes you wonder why they instigated a fixed 21 day lockdown in the first place if it was always going to be a moving target. 

Well from that first press conference I genuinely think HQ thought they were playing it safe, I think he was fully expecting it to be a big fuss about nothing and within a week we’d be almost back to normal, the 3 week thing was almost ‘worse case’ scenario!

I can’t deal with a third lockdown though and I’m sure many others must be in the same position, they cannot let this happen again.

30 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

A track and trace app in conjunction would really be a golden ticket to tracking and understanding spread.

Apart from all of the issues around actually getting people set up with an app and the correct settings etc, contact tracing apps are effectively anonymous. The tracking people would have no idea who the app had actually pinged or whether they had taken any notice.

There isn't any clear evidence that contact tracing apps have provided any significant advantage. At best it's a mixed picture. MIT has a good piece here:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/11/20/1012325/do-digital-contact-tracing-apps-work-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

In a very large metropolitan population I can see a potential advantage (based on numbers alone). Not here.

Initial 3 weeks was an open ended political safe bet. Long enough to recognise the virus characteristics and potentially get the spread under control but short enough not to riot the populace, albeit there's been enough bleating already.

Still open ended though - tacking one week on at a time now means people grumble but accept it by and large. Throw another 3 weeks at them in one block and some of them will flip.

• Like 3

I have millions of questions.

Wrighty the other day (week?) said something along the lines of 'nowhere has been able to say they put the restrictions in too early' and that's a fair point. Everywhere has done it too late. Can we say that we did? Or is everyone happy that the gov took strong early action? What happens next time, when this happens again next month? Another 3 weeks off? What is the plan? Is there even one, and if there is, will they bother to stick to it?

There is much uncertainty, I doubt they have even the slightest clue how it affects people. This is hugely damaging, they've got to sort it out.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Initial 3 weeks was an open ended political safe bet. Long enough to recognise the virus characteristics and potentially get the spread under control but short enough not to riot the populace, albeit there's been enough bleating already.

Still open ended though - tacking one week on at a time now means people grumble but accept it by and large. Throw another 3 weeks at them in one block and some of them will flip.

Well if builders , windows cleaners etc go back Thursday that will take some pressure off and save a few £m

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I have millions of questions.

Wrighty the other day (week?) said something along the lines of 'nowhere has been able to say they put the restrictions in too early' and that's a fair point. Everywhere has done it too late. Can we say that we did? Or is everyone happy that the gov took strong early action? What happens next time, when this happens again next month? Another 3 weeks off? What is the plan? Is there even one, and if there is, will they bother to stick to it?

There is much uncertainty, I doubt they have even the slightest clue how it affects people. This is hugely damaging, they've got to sort it out.

Suppose that really is the question: what is the plan for the future and what weapons do we have to deploy?