IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It will be "our" loss too. One way or another, we'll be paying for it. As ever.

Or will we? Did anyone ever consider that since the uk are paying for our vaccines, we may have to use their testing facilities and follow their protocols? 

38 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its akin to the old carlsberg's ads. Best lager in the world! On what scale was best. That rumbled for years. Eventually they changed it to probably..... and that seemed to shake all the lawyers off as the level of subjectivity went up a notch.

The level of proof is balance of probabilities, 50% and a little bit over. If there was a case, and there weren’t a privilege defence, and the defendant pleaded that his words were true, then the defendant would have to prove that, not the claimant, assuming the claimant could show the words referred to her and were defamatory in their ordinary meaning.

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I'm not disputing that, just comparing it to the approach here.  The other difference in Gib is they probably have a very porous border with Spain. 

15,000 people cross from Spain into Gibraltar to work every day. It’s not possible to close it without causing severe damage to the economies of both La Linea and Gibraltar.

When the border was closed or difficult, before the EU, Gibraltar shipped in 1000’s of workers on ferries from Morocco to work in the naval dockyards. Now it’s nurses, carers, child minders, cleaners and workers in gaming and other financial sector industries.

And it’s not just Spanish. Lots of Brits who work in Gib live in Spain.

Just to compare, about 33,000 people cross the land border in Ireland to work on the other side on a daily basis.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

15,000 people cross from Spain into Gibraltar to work every day. It’s not possible to close it without causing severe damage to the economies of both La Linea and Gibraltar.

Just to compare, about 33,000 people cross the land border in Ireland to work on a daily basis.

In that case  they have done exceptionally well. 

The irony of the Chief Minister today still has me baffled:

Using a lab across gives us access to the highest quality and support from world class experts. Not be possible to replicate this quality from a local standalone service.

Yet when one of my businesses applied for a DfE Business Improvement Scheme grant, we were categorically told that we couldn't use experts from off-Island in what we needed to do and must use a local provider that had no experience with our system.

I don't think he quite realises the double standards he's applying and how negative this will impact on the business comunity, including our ability to attract new talent to the Island.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The level of proof is balance of probabilities, 50% and a little bit over. If there was a case, and there weren’t a privilege defence, and the defendant pleaded that his words were true, then the defendant would have to prove that, not the claimant, assuming the claimant could show the words referred to her and were defamatory in their ordinary meaning.

Now you have made it too complicated.:D

Sticking to things I know about. It would be difficult to prove if one lab was better, or not worse, than another, as there are no clear measures defined....ie no labometer

Edited by Happier diner

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Now you have made it too complicated.:D

Sticking to things I know about. It would be difficult to prove if one lab was better, or not worse, than another, as there are no clear measures defined....ie no labometer

You might be surprised. Brewing Labs do have such a "Labometer". It is a scheme called BAPS run by the UK Govt Chemist and they also run all sorts of others for different type Labs. Whether such a thing exists for Genomic Labs I have no idea.

40 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I think that is the first time I've ever seen any official statistics showing a distinction between death from covid or death with covid. 

Actually you get them from ONS sometimes from the death certificate data[1].  There aren't that many where it's 'with' rather than 'from' (ie it's not given as the main cause), but obviously the higher the rate of infection in the population, the more likely someone who dies from other causes is likely to have it.

[1]  Which will be a bit different because it's possible for someone to have tested positive but the doctors treating them think it hasn't had an effect on their death.  I assume the Gibraltar figures are anyone who tests positive.