IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

In that case  they have done exceptionally well. 

The strange thing about Gibraltar is that they did really well in the Spring with hardly any cases, then had a bit of blip in the Autumn and then it went horrendous from mid-December.  It's a good warning not to get complacent (from Google):

image.png.0e7953a19193c45e466381f30d1eaa3b.png

Not our rulers will take any notice, as this tweet today shows:

As at 4pm 19 January there are no new cases of #COVID19 in the #IsleofMan. 

Chief Minister Howard Quayle MHK, ‘This is great news for the Island. Although there is still some way to go the early signs are very positive that the measures we have in place are working.’

One day of no new cases and apparently all will be well.  The last community case was only yesterday, not that you'd know unless you read the media release carefully:

The third case is a close contact of someone who tested positive for the virus and was detected through a day 13 test.  Their period of self-isolation has been extended and they will be offered further tests. 

The final case has been identified as a close contact of someone who tested positive for the virus. Contact tracing is completed and the individual and their household are in isolation. 

Note the tenses in that last one.  They are are in isolation now, but nothing to say they have been since the contact which has now been identified, but when?

Edited by Roger Mexico
Formatting

35 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You might be surprised. Brewing Labs do have such a "Labometer". It is a scheme called BAPS run by the UK Govt Chemist and they also run all sorts of others for different type Labs. Whether such a thing exists for Genomic Labs I have no idea.

Interesting. I was thinking that measures such as 

• Quality control - to an accredited standard
  • Resilience 
  • Customer service 
  • Certifications 
  • Cost per analysis 
  • Location and ease of access
  • Communications 
  • Customer base

Would be valid.But someone who states one is better than another would need to demonstrate that they had done a reasonable amount of research to substantiate their statement that one is 'better'

39 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting. I was thinking that measures such as 

• Quality control - to an accredited standard
  • Resilience 
  • Customer service 
  • Certifications 
  • Cost per analysis 
  • Location and ease of access
  • Communications 
  • Customer base

Would be valid.But someone who states one is better than another would need to demonstrate that they had done a reasonable amount of research to substantiate their statement that one is 'better'

There is bound to be an ISO standard, or several, for labs.

There is - ISO/IEC 17025, and probably some more. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There is bound to be an ISO standard, or several, for labs.

There is - ISO/IEC 17025, and probably some more. 

ISO is just meaningless paperwork. If you are a Lab you are given samples to analyse from the Govt Chemist (UK) and send your results back, they then analyse said results, then send them back to you with how you did to compare with other Labs, in the Brewing Lab case was 375 worldwide. 

This is Peer analysis means much more than any ISO paper can ever

3 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

ISO is just meaningless paperwork. If you are a Lab you are given samples to analyse from the Govt Chemist (UK) and send your results back, they then analyse said results, then send them back to you with how you did to compare with other Labs, in the Brewing Lab case was 375 worldwide. 

This is Peer analysis means much more than any ISO paper can ever

I know nothing about how labs may meet objective standards so their credentials can be established.  ISO is the international body that sets standards in all kinds of areas, so I would assume it is one way of demonstrating that your processes and expertise meet an identifiable standard.  There is a whole industry around standards, setting them, implementing process to meet them, accreditation and audit.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I know nothing about how labs may meet objective standards so their credentials can be established.  ISO is the international body that sets standards in all kinds of areas, so I would assume it is one way of demonstrating that your processes and expertise meet an identifiable standard.  There is a whole industry around standards, setting them, implementing process to meet them, accreditation and audit.  

I know what ISO means, it means nothing once you have got the accreditation whereas monthly audits by a Peer means much more, in case of Brewing Labs  http://bit.ly/3p19AD1