IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I watched a documentary yesterday about the radicalisation of the middle-aged and above Americans who buy into the whole QAnon, COVID-19 is a hoax, anti mask,Democratic paedophile ring, white supremacy, Trump supporter ethos. Scared the bejesus out of me. They're never going to change their minds unless they go through serious deconditioning and for that they have to want to -and they don't - they live in a complete bubble surrounded by everything and everyone who supports their view. Scary stuff.

There was also a good documentary about Trump, Kentucky and Israel on BBC Four last night.  Basically evangelical Christians raising funds for Israeli/Jewish humanitarian and other projects, huge figures.  The theological dogma being come armageddon, Christian will reclaim Israel and the Jews will either convert or succumb in the rapture, or some shit like that. 

Amidst that was Trump's support for evangelicals bringing them into Government and was behind the move of the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Very scary stuff. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Probably realizing with slow roll out he won’t meet targets so needs more vaccinations done to more people, probably follow Guernsey on 6 weeks gap .

Or has been told that UK can not promise to supply on the current per capita basis.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I can't believe it mutates in days within the same community. Sorry I just cant. I accept the science but I think the testing times are too long to ever beat track and trace based upon risk of contact with known positives. That's in a jurisdiction that is determined to achieve local elimination of course. If you were trying to manage/suppress infections then i would agree with you completely. 

That's how the genomics work, every time something divides or replicates, there's a chance something will change. That's what DNA does too. We share  a large proportion of our DNA with everything from chimps, to mice, to flies to bananas.

RNA viruses mutate incredibly quickly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107253/

Though mutating usefully, or beneficially to the virus is a whole different kettle of fish. That's where it mutates to become reliably more infectious, or deadly etc.

The genomics are essentially looking at the typos passed between people infected with the virus. Each time it replicates, there's a chance it'll make one of those typos.

According to this paper, that's "1–2 mutations per nucleotide site per replication" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4096944/

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Though mutating usefully, or beneficially to the virus is a whole different kettle of fish. That's where it mutates to become reliably more infectious, or deadly etc

More infectious may well be useful to a virus, but more deadly often isn't. If it kills its host more reliably and more quickly, it is less likely to be passed on to another host. 

Edited by Newbie

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Is the tide starting to turn?

Are the MHKs going to start standing up and saying what lots of people are thinking?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-calls-for-change-to-compassionate-travel-restrictions/

I respect both Lawrie and Chris highly. I think within Tynwald and behind the scenes they've been very vocal about their views.

We're approaching the election and it's the time for these MHK's to start putting their heads out and speaking up.

39 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

That's how the genomics work, every time something divides or replicates, there's a chance something will change. That's what DNA does too. We share  a large proportion of our DNA with everything from chimps, to mice, to flies to bananas.

RNA viruses mutate incredibly quickly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107253/

Though mutating usefully, or beneficially to the virus is a whole different kettle of fish. That's where it mutates to become reliably more infectious, or deadly etc.

The genomics are essentially looking at the typos passed between people infected with the virus. Each time it replicates, there's a chance it'll make one of those typos.

According to this paper, that's "1–2 mutations per nucleotide site per replication" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4096944/

Interesting stuff. If it does change that quickly though, wont it have already changed again by the time you have off the results of the detailed genomic profiles, given that it is a cumulative 5 to 7 days from initial infection to getting results. Surely by then the trail will be cold

40 minutes ago, Newbie said:

More infectious may well be useful to a virus, but more deadly often isn't. If it kills its host more reliably and more quickly, it is less likely to be passed on to another host. 

This is very true. It's not in the virus's interest to kills its host. Sadly it happens. Virus have evolved to deal with host antibodies by moving on, so there existence relies on them reproducing rapidly but then jumping to a new host before they are killed off.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's discussed here and people are aware. 

Thank you, but I've been unable to read anything but this thread since backtracking to here via google searches and then it's a hit or miss if the page opens.

Please remove this post.

edit: thread to post.

Edited by Error code EX1032

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting stuff. If it does change that quickly though, wont it have already changed again by the time you have off the results of the detailed genomic profiles, given that it is a cumulative 5 to 7 days from initial infection to getting results. Surely by then the trail will be cold

Generally, it's not the same bits changing. So you can follow the patterns. So as it passes from A to B to C, it gets A's mutations away from the lineage, B's mutations away from A and C's mutations away from B.

Remember it won't likely be mutations at one single point either. They'll be happening across the 30,000 data points. So your likelihood of them being overwritten in a short transmission chain are slim.