IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I assume Guernsey will have preapproved this.

They have. I gave their tourist board a call this morning. Off the plane, no restrictions, no testing, roam free as you please. I did put a link up earlier, but posters on this forum don't bother reading them and just go to last post in any thread rather than hit the blue icon to pick up where they left off. Desperately lazy posting... 

Edited by quilp
  • Thanks 1

The MR report says:

Travelers will have to wear a mask, and will receive a self-isolation order, which makes it clear it's a legal agreement, and failure to comply could result in prosecution.

So which law would any prosecution fall under (bearing in mind the Emergency Powers weren't renewed)?

I didn't watch the briefing but the MR live blog has this

09/07/2020 16:21
No financial support for those wanting to go away says Quayle.
Government can't afford it he says, and it's up to the individual to make their own decision.

I assume this means you have to fund your 14 day isolation yourself? Hopefully that'll put enough people off travelling for now, keep the risk low. I previously posted its probably alright if you can work from home, but not so helpful if you can't. Doesn't really affect me as I'm not really planning on going away, but it does leave a danger of a two tier system. 

Also, you get a document if you are planning to travel stressing that isolation on return is a legal requirement. So watch a bunch of people get fined or jailed because they'll be incapable of staying in, and then people comparing our justice system to nazis or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

They have. I gave their tourist board a call this morning. Off the plane, no restrictions, no testing, roam free as you please. I did put a link up earlier, but posters on this forum don't bother reading them and just go to last post in any thread rather than hit the blue icon to pick up where they left off. Desperately lazy posting... 

I did read that post of yours but it did not mention the IOM relaxing restrictions for trips other than to Guernsey, how could it as it was not announced then. I just assume Guernsey was told before we were  here and is comfortable with it.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Also, you get a document if you are planning to travel stressing that isolation on return is a legal requirement. So watch a bunch of people get fined or jailed because they'll be incapable of staying in, and then people comparing our justice system to nazis or something.

That's why I asked about the legal position (above). A legal clusterfeck coming up methinks.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's why I asked about the legal position (above). A legal clusterfeck coming up methinks.

Although the state of emergency was lifted I think they kept some emergency powers around the border. I don't know for sure.

In anticipation of the lifting of the State of Emergency Tynwald gave powers to the DHSC under equivalent provisions under the Public Health Act to give directions. The directions don’t need to be laid before Tynwald.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

In anticipation of the lifting of the State of Emergency Tynwald gave powers to the DHSC under equivalent provisions under the Public Health Act to give directions. The directions don’t need to be laid before Tynwald.

invent as you go along with a bit more speed then.

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Correction. Well over 1000 have returned with most tested and several cases detected

The snowflake attitude of open the borders and invite the virus back will cause a second wave which will fuck the islands economy beyond repair. Why? So you can have two weeks all inclusive in Benidorm? 

Bit over dramatic. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thanks. Any idea where we can find those 'equivalent provisions', specifically concerning wearing masks?

6 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

I attach this without much comment about what is wrong with it. There is a list of countries that kept their borders open; did not closed down business compulsorily, or did so only very temporarily; and relied on voluntarily social distancing to slow down the spread of the virus. And did not have any of the kind of per capita death rates suggested by this disingenuous Manx questionnaire to assess people feeling about Manx government’s handling of the crisis.

856798804_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0719-24-12.thumb.jpg.5d52794ee182f72283f7824cb5ce4c64.jpg

I started that questionnaire with the intention of completing it. However I got as far as these scenarios but could not find one that I recognised as a realistic or desirable outcome. The options simply do not relate to the mortality rates in each scenario as it does not follow, at all, that the deaths would result from them. It is merely contributing to the hysteria, whilst purporting to inform the decision-makers. I can't believe that any person in Government would consider the results to be valid or informative.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Thanks. Any idea where we can find those 'equivalent provisions', specifically concerning wearing masks?

In the event of a second wave, masks should become mandatory, and enforced. The scientists are now considering that the virus could be aerosolised so that presents even more of a risk. At the same time, I would like to believe that as a society we've learned something, that the importance of personal hygiene is now realised as vitally important for containment, a benefit to ourselves and others. The hand-washing, the distancing, sensible isolation, etc., should by now be second nature in the event of re-infection. Let's hope so. I'm coming to believe that this virus is something we're going to have to live with, for some time at least. 

Edited by quilp
Sp3ll8ng
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m a little perplexed somewhat. The Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece seem to be saying Free Travel for Island Residents. It’s not free though, we have to pay for the crossing, and also have to sign a ‘legal document’ upon their return, as well as quarantining for 14 days upon returning to the island. It’s not going to make me jump for joy and wish to go across. It’s only worthwhile travelling for longer periods of time, Say a few months by which time, the borders should be fully open. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Here’s the report of the investigation being put “on hold”.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-investigation-into-jersey-key-workers-on-hold/

Adding very strong credence to the rumour circulating for weeks that a certain government official was seen out dining with them. They clearly don’t have Zoom to conduct the initial interviews with and so it will be on hold indefinitely. It doesn’t bode well for our contract tracing efforts does it if we can’t even get hold of people in Jersey to ask them who they met when in the IOM and follow the chain. Meanwhile ordinary folk ended up in prison and with criminal records for life for lesser breaches. 

If this was the case, I trust that the Government Official has been refered for disciplinary action? If an offence has been committed, then legal proceedings should ensue. It seems to me that the Police Investigation is merely a token investigation, and to the likes of HRH The Chief Minister and Little Lord Ashford, this whole affair is an irrelevance, in the grand scheme of things. Government will like to brush this under the carpet and tell the public of all the wonderful investment in the island by all these business types visiting the island. 

The Government Official will no doubt get promoted.

Edited by 2112

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why should there be an issue with law ?

HQ said again that the whole thing hinges on trust. If people are already looking for loopholes or ways to escape the quarantine contract, they shouldn’t even be thinking of going away. What the hell is wrong with people ? They are handed a gift , yet want to use it, then abuse it. If our locals can’t accept that they must isolate on return, then we have a nation of morons. God help us. ( not that there is one )

Edited by dilligaf
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1