IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Seems a fair number normally, given that there are community first responders too. But if they end up queued up like we see in the UK because A&E is full, or the hospital has no beds? That could be a problem.

I still don’t believe there was a queue.

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Seems a fair number normally, given that there are community first responders too. But if they end up queued up like we see in the UK because A&E is full, or the hospital has no beds? That could be a problem.

Happens regularly, sadly. Often there are simply NO ambulances available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

A friend of mine needed to get rushed rushed to A&E this evening. She sat (lay) outside in the ambulance for an hour.

It seems the whole thing is a mess right now. No wonder they were worried.

Possibly they don’t want to many in waiting because of social distance, A&e is always busy at best of times 

point I was making earlier is that there’s plenty of beds at Nobles it’s just that Ashie has shut down one ward plus ppu 

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Ashie & Howie stated that one of reasons for lockdown was concerns over availability of beds at Nobles, turns out reason for low bed capacity is that ward 20 being used for vaccine roll out and private patients unit not being used as they plan to reopen.

So it looks like there’s plenty of bed capacity & the usual BS to justify their decisions.

https://gef.im/blog/nobles-capacity?fbclid=IwAR1qOO5qhuAlP6uqRMp4dF4GigHTWXrhTiENwvTBUEJs6ccBL6ecTyZnFeM

There are 4 beds in my house. Doesn’t mean there is a team of nurses to look after patients here though. 

The point is not beds - there was a BMJ article this week saying we need to stop talking about beds - it’s staff. We’re short generally, can’t easily get agency from across, some staff isolating, some possibly shielding. It’s inevitable, right now, that ‘beds’ are short. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

There are 4 beds in my house. Doesn’t mean there is a team of nurses to look after patients here though. 

The point is not beds - there was a BMJ article this week saying we need to stop talking about beds - it’s staff. We’re short generally, can’t easily get agency from across, some staff isolating, some possibly shielding. It’s inevitable, right now, that ‘beds’ are short. 

That’s fine but why didn’t he just say we’ve got plenty of beds but not enough staff because of what you just explained above, he also didn’t appear to give that explanation in Tynwald today 

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Ironically made worse by the fact that the border restrictions over the last 9 months or so make it virtually impossible to attract staff here.

• Like 1

Just now, Banker said:

That’s fine but why didn’t he just say we’ve got plenty of beds but not enough staff because of what you just explained above, he also didn’t appear to give that explanation in Tynwald today 

Lack of staff could be seen as a simple failure of management/HR to get more in. Lack of beds can be explained away by having to juggle wards in times of need etc? 

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Wasn't "beds" one of the normal measures for hospitals?  When they are waiting for a bed, I always assumed it really meant waiting for the staff to be available to admit you to the ward,  not that you were waiting for someone to vacate a bed. 

• Like 1

Just now, manxst said:

Lack of staff could be seen as a simple failure of management/HR to get more in. Lack of beds can be explained away by having to juggle wards in times of need etc? 

Thats not fair.

Where are they meant to just magic extra staff up from?

Look on the recruitment sites.  They are offering higher salaries than UK, paid relocation and full pay while people isolate and still can't attract them here

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Thats not fair.

Where are they meant to just magic extra staff up from?

Look on the recruitment sites.  They are offering higher salaries than UK, paid relocation and full pay while people isolate and still can't attract them here

I’m not saying they magic up staff. Im sure it’s a problem getting people to the island. I’m merely saying that might be why they said beds.