IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

The problem there is going to be maintaining the herd immunity though Albert? Unless annual jabs are compulsory (and free?), there's a fair chance that a lot of people won't bother (or won't afford it), over time that's going to undermine and weaken any immunity gained? And "accepting" Covid seems to fly in the face of the current IoM statements and policy?

There's an awful lot being left to individual responsibility here, isolation, reporting for testing on suspected infection and potentially now refreshing jabs in the future. In UK at least, the first two are failing miserably.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I'm not at my most positive today. Can you tell?

I'm feeling that too. 

This avoidable lockdown has done a lot of damage. Much more than the first one. Their willingness , eagerness almost, to implement it has set a lot of doubt off about the future too. How can anyone commit to anything of a decent time frame work wise if they're just going to dump us all on our ass at the drop of a hat. 

There's no clarity whatsoever about their next steps, although I'm sure there will be plenty of backslapping and medals all round I guess for their swift action and easing of restrictions.

Sigh.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

The problem there is going to be maintaining the herd immunity though Albert? Unless annual jabs are compulsory (and free?), there's a fair chance that a lot of people won't bother (or won't afford it), over time that's going to undermine and weaken any immunity gained? And "accepting" Covid seems to fly in the face of the current IoM statements and policy?

There's an awful lot being left to individual responsibility here, isolation, reporting for testing on suspected infection and potentially now refreshing jabs in the future. In UK at least, the first two are failing miserably.

That's why I suspect vaccination passports for travel will eventually need to become a reality.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm feeling that too. 

This avoidable lockdown has done a lot of damage. Much more than the first one. Their willingness , eagerness almost, to implement it has set a lot of doubt off about the future too. How can anyone commit to anything of a decent time frame work wise if they're just going to dump us all on our ass at the drop of a hat. 

There's no clarity whatsoever about their next steps, although I'm sure there will be plenty of backslapping and medals all round I guess for their swift action and easing of restrictions.

Sigh.

Agree entirely.

But I'm also a little worried they are potentially rushing out of this lockdown only a week after a large majority of the population (trades) have returned to, albeit, isolated working.

That's the first opportunity for any currently hidden asymtomatic cases to spread.

The pubs etc. will be rammed again on day 1, and everyone will be able to meet up.

I'd like to know Dr Glover's opinion on that.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I won't be rushing to the pub, I've got no spare money. I don't think they've got a clue about what they've just done.

They probably haven't because they're immune from it. Their pay statements continue to drop on to the doormat regardless of whether they're still coming into work, redeployed or sitting at home.

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Agree entirely.

But I'm also a little worried they are potentially rushing out of this lockdown only a week after a large majority of the population (trades) have returned to, albeit, isolated working.

That's the first opportunity for any currently hidden asymtomatic cases to spread.

The pubs etc. will be rammed again on day 1, and everyone will be able to meet up.

I'd like to know Dr Glover's opinion on that.

One has to wonder why these trades couldn't have continued from the start of lockdown under these same restrictions.

• Like 5

We don't know, do we.  We have no idea what is behind this totally unnecessary vanity project.

And we never will.

I'm not at my most positive today. Can you tell?

Sympathies. My wife is also feeling the angst today so I'm treading very gently, I can't hoover quietly though.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

With the exception of Mark Lewin, is there anyone in CS who actually has useful experience in a non CS role?  Even in Lewin's case I fear he has been there so long now he will have been converted.

I know a few, but they are not yet at the top tier, and struggle with the CS mentality (if they are not poached by PS beforehand)

5 minutes ago, jaymann said:

One has to wonder why these trades couldn't have continued from the start of lockdown under these same restrictions.

Because we didn't know the severity or spread of the outbreak at that time? The lockdown is a sledgehammer blanket approach until such time as details can be established, safe rather than sorry.

There could have been any number of building trade workers in 1886 that night for instance, had we allowed them (if infected) to all return to work and mingle on sites (as they do) the spread could have increased. Nobody knew back then.

The question is...

Why? Why are they spending so much money and doing this one job to such an extremely high standard?

Prestige? Photo opportunities and publicity that the Island is at the forefront of vaccination procedure? To encourage more people to relocate here? To show the public that they're doing a very very very good job?

Why?

Because they can; because that's the way the DoI, and to a lesser extent all of Manx Government operates.  They just do what they want to suit their own priorities and the needs of the public are a long way from the top of the list.  And the system is set up so the spending of money is actually encouraged as a main priority.

I suspect there will have been no consultation with other Departments as to what sites to use, they simply chose what suited them from their own portfolio and ploughed on regardless, ignoring practicalities and legalities.

And they know they can because they know that the politicians and the rest of the civil service management will support them and do nothing to stop them.  A mixture of bullying, laziness and fear of derailing the gravy train means that few will speak up and there enough outside the system who also benefit that the system will have defenders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Because we didn't know the severity or spread of the outbreak at that time? The lockdown is a sledgehammer blanket approach until such time as details can be established, safe rather than sorry.

There could have been any number of building trade workers in 1886 that night for instance, had we allowed them (if infected) to all return to work and mingle on sites (as they do) the spread could have increased. Nobody knew back then.

But we aren't letting them mingle from Saturday either.

They must be working alone or adhering to strict social distancing guidelines. No different than the local coffee shop being open, which they are.

43 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Over 65 and those with on going conditions get annual free flu Jabs so COVID top up at the same time. £12 for a flu jab at the chemists is not too steep.