IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting certainly, useful maybe, crucial- no way

So we lock-down for good and lose the opportunity to learn more about it?

Let me be clear, I'm not advocating the use of genome testing at this moment, it's too late. But when it comes to letting folk move more freely then we must use every tool in the box. But I'm afraid that probably won't happen because IOMG refuse to admit they were wrong in not getting Dr. Glover on board.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Understood. Very small proportion though. Same must have applied to smallpox....but that's gone. Same for polio etc. Take away the majority of hosts and the virus cant spread. 

It took a concerted effort over 10+ years to eradicate smallpox, plus whatever efforts had gone before too? Polio is still in existence, particularly in the Afghan/Pakistan area, 175 wild polio cases and 364 vaccine cases documented in 2019 (Giyf)

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I had to Google this to see if it was true as it backs up exactly what the "non experts" on here have been saying, while a couple of "experts " were inviting we need special partitions, special pain, special eips clean lights etc.

I also found the facility they used in Yorkshire to do some of the vaccine trials.

This what should have been simple and cheap example to me sums up everything that is wrong with our jumped up politicians and civil servants in a couple of photos.

Its a total disgrace.

QVNIMTE3NTIzNTk0.jpg

nice touch to have  circle of chairs so people can sit and talk about their feelings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

The question is...

Why? Why are they spending so much money and doing this one job to such an extremely high standard?

Prestige? Photo opportunities and publicity that the Island is at the forefront of vaccination procedure? To encourage more people to relocate here? To show the public that they're doing a very very very good job?

Why?

Manx solutions for Manx problems. Gold standard for the great Manx public. I can’t discuss that because of GDPR. Letter? Nope, not here. Nothing to see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So we lock-down for good and lose the opportunity to learn more about it?

Let me be clear, I'm not advocating the use of genome testing at this moment, it's too late. But when it comes to letting folk move more freely then we must use every tool in the box. But I'm afraid that probably won't happen because IOMG refuse to admit they were wrong in not getting Dr. Glover on board.

That's a fair point. I have said all along that there is clearly potential for the sequence testing. However what I keep saying is that, like you say, it's a useful tool and probably not even nearly, the, most useful.

• Like 1

Statistics suggest 30,000 UK hospital bed spaces were taken up mid January with Covid patients, approximately 0.04% of the population based on 70,000,000.

If we were to equate that to us with a population of 70,000, that’s 28 hospitalisations.

Yes, 28 ... at the height of the battle & we couldn’t cope.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Guernsey Vaccination Centre

2068968106_GuernseyVaccinationCentre01.jpg.3e899c7b7bdb73eb7d1fc1ed014cb28b.jpg

Hah hah! Suckers! Using a sports hall and chairs and makeshift screens and that!!

We've got brand new 4" x 2" studding and plasterboard, and new paint and skirting and in the airport we got polished marble floors and that

To be fair that sports hall looks 15 times better than our 'National' sports centre which is smaller than most high schools sports halls.

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

The jury is out on exactly what the vaccine does. The best guess is that when you catch the virus, you only get a mild dose. Catching the virus gives you some immunity. Hopefully, if enough people get the mild dose, herd immunity can be achieved.  

The main problem is, as you say, we don't know so much.  But even using the  scenario you suggest, herd immunity can't be achieved because there's no such thing as 'some' immunity, you either have it or you don't.  So if vaccination doesn't provide immunity, it can't contribute to herd immunity.

So the best we can hope for is that the vaccine reduces transmissability by reducing the viral load.  But the virus will still be passed on - just not so often.

4 minutes ago, The Chief said:

To be fair that sports hall looks 15 times better than our 'National' sports centre which is smaller than most high schools sports halls.

Ours is 2 courts and that is 3. We have a downstairs court too, and a bowling green. 

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Statistics suggest 30,000 UK hospital bed spaces were taken up mid January with Covid patients, approximately 0.04% of the population based on 70,000,000.

If we were to equate that to us with a population of 70,000, that’s 28 hospitalisations.

Yes, 28 ... at the height of the battle & we couldn’t cope.

It's actually 38,676 patients at the moment and still rising.  Google gives a UK population of 66.7 million and the Isle of Man at 85,000 which works out proportionately to 49.  With our older population it would probably be higher. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The jury is out on exactly what the vaccine does. The best guess is that when you catch the virus, you only get a mild dose. Catching the virus gives you some immunity. Hopefully, if enough people get the mild dose, herd immunity can be achieved. New variants can be included in future versions of the vaccine.

Therefore, vaccinating without allowing the virus in is pretty pointless. 

I understand that a good number of people cannot be vaccinated. They will have to shield. Those who refuse the vaccine do so at their own risk. 

Where on earth does this weird theory come from.

The jury has never been out on what the vaccine does. It's does exactly what all vaccines do. It teaches your body an immune response. 

The bit about mild dose is nonsense.  Sorry. Being immune can mean that if you are exposed to the virus, you can be infected for short time until your immune system responds. 

A mild dose is a short exposure to the virus. It can be as good as the vaccine. If you get a small exposure, a fit body will produce antibodies before they become ill. This is what the asymptomatic people do.

Biology lesson over:rolleyes: