IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

UK's R number is not helpful - it's only an estimate in any case and shows how the infection is likely to grow/recede, rather than the current infective load.  More useful, and what is being used, is the UK caseload.  ONS yesterday published 1:3900 based on survey data.  Daily cases and daily deaths also figure into an overall estimate of the proportion of the UK population currently infected.  That can be converted, roughly, to the probability of importing a case here given expected numbers travelling.  That probability will never be zero.

Is there a reason why the government isn't looking at the same thing as Guernsey with the testing then 7 day retesting?

18 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

How will the isolating from the 20th work for a person coming back to a house with a family there?

As I understand it you have to isolate away from them within the same house.   How does that even work or be monitored?

It’s no different to those returning in the 7 days up to the 24 March. You sit as far apart as possible, stay in different rooms, ensure you disinfect the bathroom after each use if you haven’t two, don’t sleep in same bedroom. 

Its unpoliceable. It depends on responsibility and trust and people following mandatory guidance because they’re legal decent honest and truthful.

Its not perfect, but it’s a step. One that’s easy to reverse.

Im not sure how many will go away. Given the 14 days it’s not going to be ordinary working families. So it’s business people and the retired/non working of independent means, or those who can/do work from home. I’m guessing older well heeled.

I hope everyone would be responsible and trustworthy. After all we’ve had about 4000 arrivals since 24 March with patient transfers, key workers, repatriations, key workers. We’ve heard about a few idiots breaching, only 6 or 7, but we’ve not had a spread into the community from them or anyone who did bring back. Neither has New Zealand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Look on the other plus side. We will save a fortune on glasses for our children, they will all be born with one eye in the middle if the interbreeding continues undiluted with fresh genes......

One problem with the border-closure is the low turnover of women on island.

I used to hang out around the terminal in late afternoons full of hope…

No wonder that we are losing active population.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s no different to those returning in the 7 days up to the 24 March. You sit as far apart as possible, stay in different rooms, ensure you disinfect the bathroom after each use if you haven’t two, don’t sleep in same bedroom. 

Its unpoliceable. It depends on responsibility and trust and people following mandatory guidance because they’re legal decent honest and truthful.

Its not perfect, but it’s a step. One that’s easy to reverse.

Im not sure how many will go away. Given the 14 days it’s not going to be ordinary working families. So it’s business people and the retired/non working of independent means, or those who can/do work from home. I’m guessing older well heeled.

I hope everyone would be responsible and trustworthy. After all we’ve had about 4000 arrivals since 24 March with patient transfers, key workers, repatriations, key workers. We’ve heard about a few idiots breaching, only 6 or 7, but we’ve not had a spread into the community from them or anyone who did bring back. Neither has New Zealand.

It is all down to trust and that is the Achilles heel. We just have to hope that all the local experts accept they have to fall in line for the greater good.

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Is there a reason why the government isn't looking at the same thing as Guernsey with the testing then 7 day retesting?

Trust me, the government and its advisers are looking all over the world to try to determine best practice. I know that we’ve had direct contact with people in Guernsey, Jersey, Singapore and New Zealand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Trust me, the government and its advisers are looking all over the world to try to determine best practice. I know that we’ve had direct contact with people in Guernsey, Jersey, Singapore and New Zealand. 

Testing seems to be the most reliable way to go. I’m sure people would pay for it also it it saved them having to spend 14 unnecessary days of work when they get back from somewhere. We could potentially even make money out of it. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Will it involve any trips to NZ? Say, Canterbury.....?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Fair enough,and I do not think anyone could have realistically  foreseen this,  any business trips I have are really in the "nice to have category" so can wait, the other businesses I deal with have staff travel bans in place anyway. Leisure trips would just be a torment I think at the moment

I am surprised that testing on arrival and at 7 days does not seem currently to be part of the plan here.

Totally agree. This is my situation too as far as business is concerned. So long as we are electronically connected, we can cope nicely. Obviously not been able to visit properties in Europe, but as you say, would you want to? I do feel sorry for others whose business is more hands on. I know quite a few who by now are tearing their hair out. 7 days would seem sensible at this point.