IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why? This thing will be over sooner or later. But nobody serious is making ultra short term plans.

Your choice to move a business here will be about the years ahead. Not the months ahead.

Wrong

Lpads of business have halted plans to move here.  Good luck attracting staff with no clear pathway on borders.

People who moved here have gone back again.  People don't want to be cut off from family and friends.  Just look at the issues with teachers and nurses, the same applies everywhere 

Just now, pongo said:

short term and will be quickly forgotten

All normals know that the current restrictions are temporary.

Surely for most normals this is their first experience of such an occasion? How will they know? And what's the definition of temporary?

The nearest comparison to these conditions would be the World Wars. And those who went through that wouldn't know it was temporary until they respectively ended in 1918 or 1945. Five odd years on each occasion.

45 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Do you not think they need to be open about our way forward?

If I was planning to move a business here I would want to know the plan.

Because I live here I want to know the plan.

We can't just bumble from month to month, there needs to be a clear road map.

They did have a plan for when we went back into lockdown but didn't bother following it

No, I don't believe it important, or relative.

To coin a phrase pinched from Howie... "this is a fast and fluid situation". This thing could throw yet more curveballs at us, and every other country in the world yet. Curveballs that no one has experience of dealing with, so why bother wasting time planning for the long term when not one single person on the planet knows what the future of this thing will be? The IOM gov have clearly stated that they are focused on local elimination at this time, and seem to be progressing toward it (despite some suggesting this is impossible) - that's good enough for me. As for planning beyond that, is there really any point at this time? All it takes is for the larger issue to evolve over the water, then everyone's plan has to change, including ours. For me, on a local level, this is one day at a time scenario, so we can resume some semblance of normality in our daily lives. Outside of that, presume nothing, monitor and make decisions based on the evolution of the issue on the whole.

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Wrong

Lpads of business have halted plans to move here.  Good luck attracting staff with no clear pathway on borders.

People who moved here have gone back again.  People don't want to be cut off from family and friends.  Just look at the issues with teachers and nurses, the same applies everywhere 

Simply rubbish! Look back on this thread about the complaints about the number of people moving over, when relatives cannot visit. You even complained about it yourself a couple of hundred pages ago! Get a grip! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Do you not think they need to be open about our way forward?

Do you really think they have a plan about which is the way forward? Considering the way outbreaks of the virus wax and wane how can they produce a plan and be open about it when no-one is able to foretell what's going to happen next?

If I was planning to move a business here I would want to know the plan.

And if I was in business and wanting to move here I would probably want to know first and foremost that the virus was under control. It wouldn't put me off just because I'd realise that there is no control, not here, not the UK, not anywhere at this moment in time.

Because I live here I want to know the plan.

You're once again insinuating they have a plan and are deliberately keeping you in the dark. It's too early to plan because- see above, nothing is predictable at this stage.

We can't just bumble from month to month, there needs to be a clear road map.

Got any ideas then or are you just catastrophising for the sake of it?

They did have a plan for when we went back into lockdown but didn't bother following it

Really? What plan was that then? What didn't they bother following?

Your posting style is all too familiar, as that of another recently banned hysteric, same shit, same poster... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Do you really think they have a plan

No.  That's the issue.

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

And if I was in business and wanting to move here I would probably want to know first and foremost that the virus was under control. It wouldn't put me off just because I'd realise that there is no control, not here, not the UK, not anywhere at this moment in time.

I would want to know I could attract and retain staff.  You can't do that here at the moment 

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

You're once again insinuating they have a plan and are deliberately keeping you in the dark. It's too early to plan because- see above, nothing is predictable at this stage

Infection rates in the UK, vaccine rollout, they are all going to have fixed points.  They did have a plan at the start,  it was something like 1 in 50000 in the UK theybwojld look at level 3.  That is tangible and people can plan around it.  Doesnt mean it can't change as things develop (eg thebUK vastly ramped up testing, but they didnt revise the figures)

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Really? What plan was that then? What didn't they bother following?

Seriously? You read this thread and allege to follow current affairs but didn't know there was a published document as to what steps would be taken at set levels of infection? Its been mentioned on here in the last day or so

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Your posting style is all too familiar, as that of another recently banned hysteric, same shit, same poster..

No idea what you are on about. Sorry

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

It was worse than that . 400 guests at a Jewish wedding held at a school where the head had died last year from Covid . They just dont get it for whatever reason 

Not sure why religion is being mentioned here, but just to demonstrate that there's arseholes in all faiths and cultures

150 at a Roman Catholic Church funeral

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55772495

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tricky said:

No, I don't believe it important, or relative.

To coin a phrase pinched from Howie... "this is a fast and fluid situation". This thing could throw yet more curveballs at us, and every other country in the world yet. Curveballs that no one has experience of dealing with, so why bother wasting time planning for the long term when not one single person on the planet knows what the future of this thing will be? The IOM gov have clearly stated that they are focused on local elimination at this time, and seem to be progressing toward it (despite some suggesting this is impossible) - that's good enough for me. As for planning beyond that, is there really any point at this time? All it takes is for the larger issue to evolve over the water, then everyone's plan has to change, including ours. For me, on a local level, this is one day at a time scenario, so we can resume some semblance of normality in our daily lives. Outside of that, presume nothing, monitor and make decisions based on the evolution of the issue on the whole.

This is a fast and fluid situation, yet we have the glacial pace that we are used to continuing. I think sometimes the phrase 'finger up rear, brain in neutral' may well apply.

One day at a time doesn't really work when you're talking about governing an island of whom 80,000 people depend on your decisions.

The IOM Gov hinted at it in an interview with a minister, it was reasonably received, so that was floated as policy because we'd accidentally ended up there.

Our plans may have to adapt to a broader context, but that doesn't mean it is wasteful to make those plans in the first place. We should have plans for the good and bad, not be caught off guard at 23:45 on New Year's Eve. Or in what is tantamount to an avoidable lockdown.

All of the current policy has been reactive, in a fast-moving pandemic where pro-active behaviour is vital.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

No.  That's the issue.

I would want to know I could attract and retain staff.  You can't do that here at the moment 

Infection rates in the UK, vaccine rollout, they are all going to have fixed points.  They did have a plan at the start,  it was something like 1 in 50000 in the UK theybwojld look at level 3.  That is tangible and people can plan around it.  Doesnt mean it can't change as things develop (eg thebUK vastly ramped up testing, but they didnt revise the figures)

Seriously? You read this thread and allege to follow current affairs but didn't know there was a published document as to what steps would be taken at set levels of infection? Its been mentioned on here in the last day or so

No idea what you are on about. Sorry

20 in 100,000 were the stated numbers

• Thanks 1

Just now, snowman said:

20 in 100,000 were the stated numbers

Thank you.  I couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed looking.

Can you find the trigger point for lockdown that they ignored for me as well please because I can't be arsed looking for those either 😅

Would be pointless anyway as according to some on here there never were any