IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Thank you.  I couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed looking.

Can you find the trigger point for lockdown that they ignored for me as well please because I can't be arsed looking for those either 😅

Would be pointless anyway as according to some on here there never were any

https://covid19.gov.im/outbreak-management-plan/outbreak-plan/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

So you don't think there were previously published trigger points with regards to borders or lockdowns?

I don't see your point as relevant, or making a positive contribution towards the situation, so why get hung up on it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

3 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I don't see your point as relevant, or making a positive contribution towards the situation, so why get hung up on it?

Its a specific reply to pongo

"Really? What plan was that then? What didn't they bother following?"

There are now two examples above that neither you or he appeared to know existed

Edited by horatiotheturd

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

This is a fast and fluid situation, yet we have the glacial pace that we are used to continuing. I think sometimes the phrase 'finger up rear, brain in neutral' may well apply.

One day at a time doesn't really work when you're talking about governing an island of whom 80,000 people depend on your decisions.

The IOM Gov hinted at it in an interview with a minister, it was reasonably received, so that was floated as policy because we'd accidentally ended up there.

Our plans may have to adapt to a broader context, but that doesn't mean it is wasteful to make those plans in the first place. We should have plans for the good and bad, not be caught off guard at 23:45 on New Year's Eve. Or in what is tantamount to an avoidable lockdown.

All of the current policy has been reactive, in a fast-moving pandemic where pro-active behaviour is vital.

Well I have to say, my views are in complete opposition to what you state. Hey, no biggie though, as your opinion, or mine for that matter, won't change anything.  In saying that, let's run a hypothetical situation... I vote for you as Chief Minister. So, 'Howie', please enlighten us as to what your pro-active plan is. Please note, before you state anything, I will use your words as a stick to beat you with when you miss a date, or make any changes which deviate from your stated, pro-active plan.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Its a specific reply to pongo

"Really? What plan was that then? What didn't they bother following?"

There are now two examples above that neither you or he appeared to know existed

Noted re reply to pongo - apologies for sticking my oar in on that one.

Regarding the examples you refer to, as I have stated, several times, I really don't care what the plans are, or if the gov have the ability to stick to them as I understand and accept that situations change. Anyone that can't accept that really need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Thank you.  I couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed looking.

Can you find the trigger point for lockdown that they ignored for me as well please because I can't be arsed looking for those either 😅

Would be pointless anyway as according to some on here there never were any

It was c 25 community spread cases but Howie just ignored plans when we hit 10/15 so any plans published can be ignored 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Well I have to say, my views are in complete opposition to what you state. Hey, no biggie though, as your opinion, or mine for that matter, won't change anything.  In saying that, let's run a hypothetical situation... I vote for you as Chief Minister. So, 'Howie', please enlighten us as to what your pro-active plan is. Please note, before you state anything, I will use your words as a stick to beat you with when you miss a date, or make any changes which deviate from your stated, pro-active plan.

Well, given the existing plans aren't even acknowledged, that's never a good start.

Worse is the clear fact that actually, 111 didn't have ANY form of plan for when the first 1886 event happened with the press release at a quarter to midnight. I imagine the poor staff were left to do what they could with limited information. You'd expect that in the 6 months we'd had of fairly plain sailing, they'd have assembled an action plan, and how to process those callers. Instead, we had the scattergun approach that Henrietta and Ashy have denounced time and time again in press conferences.

Listening to scientists before we ended up with on-island transmission would probably have been a great start though. You know, with the calls for testing since October when the 7 day test was withdrawn. Pretty good way of being proactive, pray tell what's the downside?

Shocker, we had the on-island transmission between households. Even after the new regime, where everyone isolates, we again had active cases out in the community.

Beating me with a stick though? It's not a Tuesday night, so you'd have to buy me dinner first.

The prevailing view is yes but they've kept us safe. Aside from some clear exceptions.

However, locking yourself in with a moat, whilst an effective initial move, isn't sustainable, and we are feeling it across industries. Teachers are leaving because they can't see their families, look at how various hospitality sectors will be doing with the lack of TT two years in a row. Never mind actually getting the event off the ground again for racers and teams.

Quite a number of people base their existence on the island on the fact that it is fairly easy to travel from here to anywhere. A hop on a flight to the UK is almost as quick as getting to an airport if you don't live next door. But, you can't even make vague plans at the moment, with no clear idea of when things will be 'over'. You can only exist in limbo for so long before you call it quits.

Are we relying on the UK fixing things entirely to be out of this? Because, that's an ever moving target, but knowing what that target is liable to be gives people warning. Not only of restrictions loosening, but tightening too.

Though, someone is getting a juicy contract for the high-end installations in Ronaldsway and Chester Street ex-Shoprite, so there's that I suppose.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
Replacing a word
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, given the existing plans aren't even acknowledged, that's never a good start.

Worse is the clear fact that actually, 111 didn't have ANY form of plan for when the first 1886 event happened with the press release at a quarter to midnight. I imagine the poor staff were left to do what they could with limited information. You'd expect that in the 6 months we'd had of fairly plain sailing, they'd have assembled an action plan, and how to process those callers. Instead, we had the scattergun approach that Henrietta and Ashy have denounced time and time again in press conferences.

Listening to scientists before we ended up with on-island transmission would probably have been a great start though. You know, with the calls for testing since October when the 7 day test was withdrawn. Pretty good way of being proactive, pray tell what's the downside?

Shocker, we had the on-island transmission between households. Even after the new regime, where everyone isolates, we again had active cases out in the community.

Beating me with a stick though? It's not a Tuesday night, so you'd have to buy me dinner first.

The prevailing view is yes but they've kept us safe. Aside from some clear exceptions.

However, locking yourself in with a moat, whilst an effective initial move, isn't sustainable, and we are feeling it across industries. Teachers are leaving because they can't see their families, look at how various hospitality sectors will be doing with the lack of TT two years in a row. Never mind actually getting the event off the ground again for racers and teams.

Quite a number of people base their existence on the island on the fact that it is fairly easy to travel from here to anywhere. A hop on a flight to the UK is almost as quick as getting to an airport if you don't live next door. But, you can't even make vague plans at the moment, with no clear idea of when things will be 'over'. You can only exist in limbo for so long before you call it quits.

Are we relying on the UK fixing things entirely to be out of this? Because, that's an ever moving target, but knowing what that target is liable to be gives people warning. Not only of restrictions loosening, but tightening too.

Though, someone is getting a juicy contract for the high-end installations in Ronaldsway and Chester Street ex-Shoprite, so there's that I suppose.

So what's your plan Mr CM? You readily criticise the existing establishment, but won't present a fail safe, pro-active scenario which you ask of them. Are you unable to formulate and deliver such a plan?

I'll happily buy you that dinner (with social distancing of course) when you present and roll out a bomb proof plan for the future, which involves no deviations or changes from the original proposal.

Edited by Tricky

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Shocker, we had the on-island transmission between households. Even after the new regime, where everyone isolates, we again had active cases out in the community

We didn't

They arrived back just before the new regime of testing and isolation came in to place.

Had they come over two weeks later there wouldn't have been a lockdown

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

We didn't

They arrived back just before the new regime of testing and isolation came in to place.

But there wouldn't be a new regime without them coming when they did!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

So what's your plan Mr CM? You readily criticise the existing establishment, but won't present a fail safe, pro-active scenario which you ask of them. Are you unable to formulate and deliver such a plan?

I'll happily buy you that dinner (with social distancing of course) when you present and roll out a bomb proof plan for the future, which involves no deviations or changes from the original proposal.

I, funnily enough, don't have a panel of well-paid and well-pensioned experts at my disposal. Mr CM does. Clearly, they're put to good use.

As we can evidence, looking at the UK government for example, the expert advice is easy to disregard. Look at SAGE's calls usually falling on deaf ears. The Tory approach has long been 'can't get COVID if there's a card machine in the building'.

Though, when "I'm alright Jack" applies, why challenge the status quo? With 12 holiday cottages I suddenly got to high occupancy in a quiet season, I wouldn't be complaining.

10 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

We didn't

We had the transmission between households earlier, when they first brought in the whole household isolating together in November I think it was?

Traveller passed it onto partner, who passed it onto sister or something along those lines. That should've been a warning as prevalence rapidly rose in the UK.

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

But there wouldn't be a new regime without them coming when they did!

Yes there would.

It was announced before they travelled and long before they became an issue thatbit would apply to people arriving on or after 23/12

They didnt implement new rules from 23/12 as a result of a positive test 11 days after that date

Edited by horatiotheturd

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I see that any CV related articles on iomtoday website have the opportunity for readers to comment on removed.

Richard, why is that?

The £678k paid to IOM Newspapers over the last 4 years I would imagine. See Question 38 https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t210119 Early Written Answers.pdf

• Like 5