IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I, funnily enough, don't have a panel of well-paid and well-pensioned experts at my disposal. Mr CM does. Clearly, they're put to good use.

As we can evidence, looking at the UK government for example, the expert advice is easy to disregard. Look at SAGE's calls usually falling on deaf ears. The Tory approach has long been 'can't get COVID if there's a card machine in the building'.

Though, when "I'm alright Jack" applies, why challenge the status quo? With 12 holiday cottages I suddenly got to high occupancy in a quiet season, I wouldn't be complaining.

So you can't produce a bomb proof plan which has sufficient buffering capacity to withstand any fluctuations or changes in the global pandemic? I guess in that case, the total value of your opinion is zero, zilch, nowt and nothing. Absolutely worthless waffle. Sorry.

Just now, Tricky said:

So you can't produce a bomb proof plan which has sufficient buffering capacity to withstand any fluctuations or changes in the global pandemic? I guess in that case, the total value of your opinion is zero, zilch, nowt and nothing. Absolutely worthless waffle. Sorry.

You say the sweetest things.

We’re currently in an avoidable lockdown. The policies that have been brought in at every step have been implemented when the horse was already out the gate. 

How would you justify the vaccination centres currently being built here at great expense? As something topical and ongoing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I could with the relevant input from other people.  I reckon it would take a week.

Not at this time of night and for free though.

Plenty have offered to help them and they have refused. 

MBE my arse 😒 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

We’re currently in an avoidable lockdown. The policies that have been brought in at every step have been implemented when the horse was already out the gate. 

How would you justify the vaccination centres currently being built here at great expense? As something topical and ongoing. 

Ahem - there is one notable difference here. I'm not making claims or suggesting I could do a better job than the Government. My stance is very simple, and absolutely clear. I trust their judgement, and will do exactly what they ask of me - I have no criticisms to make of the government, and that includes accepting the fact that they have made mistakes along the way - I can get over that, whilst you, on the other hand, seemingly can't as you expect perfection, but readily admit you are unable to deliver such. In saying that, I will answer your question - I can justify the vaccination centres by valuing my health and my life, that of my family, and my fellow iom residents (even you) over a few extra quid on my tax bill.

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

I could with the relevant input from other people.  I reckon it would take a week.

Not at this time of night and for free though.

Plenty have offered to help them and they have refused. 

MBE my arse 😒 

I assume the relevant input from other people includes the experts on MF, who admittedly cannot put a suitable plan together? Well, i'll take you at face value - you will get my vote when you run for CM, and you will be held accountable for your decisions, should you ever be deemed worthy of the role from the wider Manx public... which I fear will never be the case. 

3 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Ahem - there is one notable difference here. I'm not making claims or suggesting I could do a better job than the Government. My stance is very simple, and absolutely clear. I trust their judgement, and will do exactly what they ask of me - I have no criticisms to make of the government, and that includes accepting the fact that they have made mistakes along the way - I can get over that, whilst you, on the other hand, seemingly can't as you expect perfection, but readily admit you are unable to deliver such. In saying that, I will answer your question - I can justify the vaccination centres by valuing my health and my life, that of my family, and my fellow iom residents (even you) over a few extra quid on my tax bill.

That you Dilli?

• Haha 4

Just now, Tricky said:

I assume the relevant input from other people includes the experts on MF, who admittedly cannot put a suitable plan together? Well, i'll take you at face value - you will get my vote when you run for CM, and you will be held accountable for your decisions, should you ever be deemed worthy of the role from the wider Manx public... which I fear will never be the case. 

You know the Manx public don't select the chief minister? 😂

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You're normally very smart and I've got a lot of respect.

But even you seem to now be falling for a rather predictable but non specific criticism of things in general. And I'm definitely ancient enough to be from an era when we rather pointlessly criticized all governments by default*. Today I am grown up enough to understand that government must be a hugely difficult responsibility which must inevitably be hard to always get right.

Like many here, maybe you've been free-associating too long. You're all picking out the minutiae of minor differences. Perhaps failing to notice that in general we are doing rather ok here.

* though for my generation the big issues were, frankly, bigger.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

You're normally very smart and I've got a lot of respect.

But even you seem to now be falling for a rather predictable but non specific criticism of things in general. And I'm definitely ancient enough to be from an era when we rather pointlessly criticized all governments by default. Today I am grown up enough to understand that government must be a hugely difficult responsibility which must inevitably be hard to always get right.

Like many here, maybe you've been free-associating too long. You're all picking out the minutiae of minor differences. Perhaps failing to notice that in general we are doing rather ok here.

Well said. It is unfortunate that perspective seems to be something of a lost art.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tricky said:

I’m not suggesting I personally would a better job. I never once have. Nor have I requested perfection. 

However, as part of a modern government, I’d argue that there should be transparency within the decisions made and how they are reached. Rather than Manx Whispers, an old boys club and publicly denouncing businesses. You lose legitimacy in the eyes of your people. 

As a rule of thumb, people are far more understanding if they know why things are being done. Unfortunately, despite the situation in the UK, no Mann is an island.

We lack even a vague exit strategy, when it’s likely Covid will be in circulation for a long time yet. Long term, local eradication isn’t viable, and we must be best equipped for the times it does return  

The fatigue of restrictions is getting to a lot of people, and that will only worsen with time. Look at the kick-offs on buy and sell groups on Facebook, then the back and forth with the IOM Police media page on the back of that. 

Vaccination centres are important, I agree, but, how can one justify refurbishing a dilapidated old supermarket? When actually, the majority of the world aren’t refitting vaccine deluxe centres. Including our nearest parallel in Guernsey.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Loads of business have halted plans to move here.  Good luck attracting staff with no clear pathway on borders.

People who moved here have gone back again.  People don't want to be cut off from family and friends.  Just look at the issues with teachers and nurses, the same applies everywhere 

I don't think many Manx people are too concerned that businesses might not move here right now. We're in a pandemic. There are so many more important things than "growing the economy".

Transient people moving away again? Ok. See ya then. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't see it. Anecdotally, I have a large family, big friend network and many colleagues, but I don't hear anyone complaining about this really. Most people I know are just happy we had our free summer, autumn and winter and are now just looking forward to being free again in a week or so. 

I have friends in Manchester who are so depressed, they cannot visit family or friends who live 30 mins away. They have been in lockdown of some kind for so long they are becoming afraid of crowds and people. It's awful. I think we are lucky in comparison and any business that can't see those advantages, well...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raffles said:

I don't think many Manx people are too concerned that businesses might not move here right now. We're in a pandemic. There are so many more important things than "growing the economy".

Transient people moving away again? Ok. See ya then. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't see it. Anecdotally, I have a large family, big friend network and many colleagues, but I don't hear anyone complaining about this really. Most people I know are just happy we had our free summer, autumn and winter and are now just looking forward to being free again in a week or so. 

I have friends in Manchester who are so depressed, they cannot visit family or friends who live 30 mins away. They have been in lockdown of some kind for so long they are becoming afraid of crowds and people. It's awful. I think we are lucky in comparison and any business that can't see those advantages, well...

Out of interest and without giving away to much what do you do?  Are you paid by government?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Lpads of business have halted plans to move here

Not one single viable or useful business with plans to perhaps move here has changed their plan.

No serious or viable business would plan so short term. Any that say they have would not be worth worrying about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1