IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Didn't you also propose tagging people? That's fucking mental too.

Unsavoury as it sounds it makes perfect sense. And if everyone had a tracker then contact tracing would be a breeze but that is a further matter.

And for @Tricky if I was CM,  I would have the Island on standby for a flash lockdown. None of this wishy washy two days to rush to B&Q to get your DIY etc. Say 4 hour notice. Keep stocked up - it could happen any time.

And testing before travel to IoM. And definitely with tagging. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

Just heard some details on BBC news about Guernsey entering lockdown (same restrictions as last spring) for an indefinite amount of time, to be reviewed in two week's time. 

The cases, three adults and one teenager, were discovered at 7:30 last night. Government met at 6am and called a briefing at noon to declare the lockdown. They will have another briefing tomorrow. 

They acted within 17 hours, far quicker and more decisively than we did. 

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This post, in context to replying to mine, makes no sense.

Ok. I'll rephrase it.

What extra information would have prevented the lockdown and what timescale would have been required to achieve it.

I don't mean to be negative and I have no axe to grind with anyone, I just genuinely cannot see how it could have been avoided whether it takes a week(or more) to get results from liverpool or 36hrs from an on island lab.

Just now, Happier diner said:

Ok. I'll rephrase it.

What extra information would have prevented the lockdown and what timescale would have been required to achieve it.

I don't mean to be negative and I have no axe to grind with anyone, I just genuinely cannot see how it could have been avoided whether it takes a week(or more) to get results from liverpool or 36hrs from an on island lab.

I thought that's what you meant, but I don't think you read what I wrote. 

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Unsavoury as it sounds it makes perfect sense. And if everyone had a tracker then contact tracing would be a breeze but that is a further matter.

And for @Tricky if I was CM,  I would have the Island on standby for a flash lockdown. None of this wishy washy two days to rush to B&Q to get your DIY etc. Say 4 hour notice. Keep stocked up - it could happen any time.

And testing before travel to IoM. And definitely with tagging. 

Exactly, and I don't see why anyone who wanted to travel here would have an issue with it.

If they did, they cant come, simple.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Just heard some details on BBC news about Guernsey entering lockdown (same restrictions as last spring) for an indefinite amount of time, to be reviewed in two week's time. 

The cases, three adults and one teenager, were discovered at 7:30 last night. Government met at 6am and called a briefing at noon to declare the lockdown. They will have another briefing tomorrow. 

We need to follow this. Flash lockdowns. No pissing about and be prepared. Aye, that's a  bit shit but a lot better than the alternative shits.

Tied in with other measures (tighter and more controlled borders) the need for further lockdowns would greatly reduce (obviously)

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Here's a more in-depth page from Guernsey. The one previously linked was only about gatherings.

This additional page doesn't include the timeline like the report from BBC's resident reporter in the Balliwick, not does it include the demographics. 

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A few local social media posts in Guernsey blaming unessential workers coming in, as well as people isolating but others in household still going out to work. They've been hit with the panic buyers also.

And again we will panic and keep the borders closed, when actually both of those risks can be mitigated here (we obviously don't allow people to isolate with others)

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This has been explained to you about 20 times so far (and I don't think this is an exaggeration) but lets look at the current Guernsey outbreak, where they announced immediate lockdown at noon:

This decision follows confirmation of four new positive cases of COVID-19 where it is not immediately clear how they contracted the virus, as none are directly from travel or the contacts of known cases or travellers. Contract tracing is continuing to determine whether there is a link between the cases and whether these cases are linked or this is as a result of wider community seeding.

If you can establish through genomics whether these four cases are linked.  If they are, it immediately lessens the worry and you can look at establishing the links through other methods and detailed tracing[1].  If contacts test positive their genomics can help feed back into the system.

[1]  If they are all absolutely identical you can check to see if the whole thing is caused by contamination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A few local social media posts in Guernsey blaming unessential workers coming in, as well as people isolating but others in household still going out to work. They've been hit with the panic buyers also.

Yes apparently in Guernsey, you can still isolate in your house with others who don’t get tested, similar to process we had previously 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

I actually agree with the one caveat.

As soon as that last over 50 is vaccinated, it’s time to open .. fully, no isolating.

Practice good hygiene, SD etc & those that wish to scare themselves to death can still hide away in their homes & have their shopping delivered to them through the cat flap.

That's really the crux of it. We can either be open as usual, but with masks, social distancing etc.

Or we continue to pursue local elimination, but we have to rely on heavy border controls.

I don't think the vaccine will be the end of the disruption. Positive cases will still be doing their 2 weeks penance. Close contacts will probably be doing the same. That'll turn public opinion against importing cases too. The impact of individuals and their contacts isolating will still have knock-on effects for businesses too.

The likelihood of being able to mix virus in circulation and back to normal? Very slim.

• Like 1