IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Ashford even said himself on Thursday that the advice from on island experts re the vaccine rollout is split.

Can we read that as. someone disagreed with HIM???

We can't expect him to reveal who disagreed with him but if it was say, the Treasury, then, OK, we should back him. However, if it was say, Ms Ewart, then we might be right in expecting some explanation of the discussion leading to the eventual decision?

Edited by Kopek

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Can we read that as. someone disagreed with HIM???

We can't expect him to reveal who disagreed with him but if it was say, the Treasury, then, OK, we should back him. However, if it was say, Ms Ewart, then we might be right in expecting some explanation of the discussion leading to the eventual decision?

He did say it was some of the medical team who disagreed with policy but decision taken to continue as is

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Fun fact: Henrietta Ewart is a qualified medical doctor who has spent most of her professional life in public health, but her doctorate is actually in History (on organisational responses in Britain to mid-20th century Irish immigration).

Well the main thing with senior CS admin roles, especially on the Isle of Man but certainly elsewhere, is the ability to be able to go along with the main politicians. They are ultimately the bosses.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well everywhere will have to open up eventually and allow travel etc or there’ll be nothing left to open and all the economies will be ruined.

Eventually everyone is going to have to pay for all the lockdown costs via increased taxes, lower pensions etc and then the gap between those at top & bottom will widen more with social unrest . Of course the wealthy pensioners calling for restrictions will be all ok still 

I became quite exasperated today when speaking to two UK based elderly relatives both of whom are now fully vaccinated, but refuse to go out and are unlikely to return to a normal existence in the foreseeable future, if indeed ever. I pointed out to them the sacrifices that have already been made, are currently being made and those that will be made for decades to come by the rest of society in the main to protect their generation, and how science has amazingly come up with a vaccine to allow them to live rather and exist, yet all they could say was that lockdown and closed borders should continue indefinitely in the UK. I didn’t know if to be annoyed or upset by their mindset as they are scared witless, but equally they are just thinking about themselves. It has been interesting to note the change in their attitudes and character over the past year, as initially they were opposed to their grandchildren’s future being irretrievably damaged in order to protect their twilight years.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Fun fact: Henrietta Ewart

To be fair Roger, Ms Ewart does not need to hold all the skills for the role, she should have a team around her to either, provide these or have the ability to find out the requirements ? Google?

Her Irish knowledge should/could have given her an insight into the means to recover from the ongoing effects of the Potato Famine, how the public health could have recovered from the calamity for the survivors to get back to a reasonable diet and health recovery? That could be very valuable in our recovery from lockdown, the financial and psychological affect that will put us back to 'Normal'???

Perhaps she should replace David Ashford?

OK OK, tongue in cheek, don't blame the messenger!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well the main thing with senior CS admin roles, especially on the Isle of Man but certainly elsewhere, is the ability to be able to go along with the main politicians. They are ultimately the bosses.

There is no way HQ and DA would go against professional medical advice..... is there?

I hope not anyway and my gut feeling is, no they wouldn't

9 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I became quite exasperated today when speaking to two UK based elderly relatives both of whom are now fully vaccinated, but refuse to go out and are unlikely to return to a normal existence in the foreseeable future, if indeed ever. I pointed out to them the sacrifices that have already been made, are currently being made and those that will be made for decades to come by the rest of society in the main to protect their generation, and how science has amazingly come up with a vaccine to allow them to live rather and exist, yet all they could say was that lockdown and closed borders should continue indefinitely in the UK. I didn’t know if to be annoyed or upset by their mindset as they are scared witless, but equally they are just thinking about themselves. It has been interesting to note the change in their attitudes and character over the past year, as initially they were opposed to their grandchildren’s future being irretrievably damaged in order to protect their twilight years.

Yes, the press have done an absolutely incredible job.

The Witty, Johnson, JVT, Valance quartet should also be praised in their role for spooking the life out of the nation.

Top bombing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The Witty, Johnson, JVT, Valance quartet should also be praised in their role for spooking the life out of the nation.

Top bombing.

That witty bloke would be a barrel of laughs on  a night out. Probably tell you how many years you've shortened your life by with every pint

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Top bombing.

There you go yet again, trumpishly propagating the bogus idea that the virus is something which people have been deliberately frightened into worrying about unnecessarily.

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There is no way HQ and DA would go against professional medical advice..... is there?

The real question is whether they are actually getting any professional medical advice at all - at least directly.  Certainly some of the stuff that Ashford has been repeating seems unlikely to have come from anyone with more than a low grade Biology GCSE.  So good advice may be being filtered through managers who are misunderstanding it or twisting it for their own ends.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Top bombing.

That’s for sure. I noticed that last nights seeding of the increased fatalities caused by the new variant during the Boris and Co. briefing has been questioned by the author of the report they were quoting - source BBC. Too late though for the newspapers who took the topline message and have been scaring the nation again with 30-40% more deadly variant headlines. I know they are trying to gain compliance in the UK, but there has got to be a better way than spreading fear, especially when it is based upon weak assumptions.

Just now, Out of the blue said:

That’s for sure. I noticed that last nights seeding of the increased fatalities caused by the new variant during the Boris and Co. briefing has been questioned by the author of the report they were quoting - source BBC. Too late though for the newspapers who took the topline message and have been scaring the nation again with 30-40% more deadly variant headlines. I know they are trying to gain compliance in the UK, but there has got to be a better way than spreading fear, especially when it is based upon weak assumptions.

It's nothing to do with spreading fear, it's to do with preventing blame for the devastation and deaths that Covid has caused because of poor management by the Conservative government and misinformation by its chums in the media.  So they are blaming the increased deaths on a new strain of the virus rather than them telling everyone to go out and have a good Christmas (and infect granddad).

• Like 3