IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

35 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Whilst not disputing the article, and this might not be popular.

Most of the stories I have seen they either have underlying conditions or when they have photos of the poor victim they are clearly obese or have a fag in their hand (normally both)

Life choices often reduce your lifespan 

To be fair, many overweight people smoke because they believed that smoking would make them lose weight and possibly even rather slim. 

27 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Do you not think most of them would have died in the last 12 months anyway?

Death wasn't invented by COVID-19 

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Vast majority of over 80s certainly would have done . Of course many more will die because of other issues like cancer, heart issues due to lack of treatment 

Simply not true.  If that was the case there would have been little or no excess mortality at the end of the year.  Instead it was higher than at any time since the Second World War.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

So BoJo is about to introduce compulsory hotel isolation for UK arrivals. 

That makes the Island's trust based isolation of arrivals look rather weak. Time to revisit the use of Mount Murray.

Spot on.

I thought the Mount Murray was a good move. Maybe if it had stayed the latest lock down and £8-10million (or whatever) would have been saved.

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

So BoJo is about to introduce compulsory hotel isolation for UK arrivals. 

That makes the Island's trust based isolation of arrivals look rather weak. Time to revisit the use of Mount Murray.

It's slightly different because we have limited our arrivals to returning residents, who will normally have somewhere to stay and we appear to have very high levels of compliance.

44 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Do you not think most of them would have died in the last 12 months anyway?

Death wasn't invented by COVID-19 

I’ve just looked up the Ogden tables, an actuarially based life expectancy table used in courts, that provide for all expected contingencies and mortalities.

80. Male. It’s 9 years

80. Female. It’s 11 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve just looked up the Ogden tables, an actuarially based life expectancy table used in courts, that provide for all expected contingencies and mortalities.

80. Male. It’s 9 years

80. Female. It’s 11 years.

So a large percentage of people who are over 80 die each year anyway.  A much higher percentage of people die eg in their 83rd year that their 43rd.

That's the point.  Noone is saying all of these elderly people would have died anyway, but an awful lot of them would.

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's their own fault!!!!!

Fucks sake.

So if a fat bloke dies of a heart attack its not his fault?

Of a woman smokes for 40 years and gets lunch cancer its not her fault?

The healthier your lifestyle the lower you risk of death at an early age.   That's fact and a choice that we all make.

My choice is that I don't like exercise or healthy foods and I do like beer and cigarettes (can't afford either at the moment though)

If those things shorten my life that's my fault not anyone elses

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

So a large percentage of people who are over 80 die each year anyway.  A much higher percentage of people die eg in their 83rd year that their 43rd.

That's the point.  Noone is saying all of these elderly people would have died anyway, but an awful lot of them would.

I've probably posted this before, but worth repeating.  Your risk of dying from getting covid is about the same as your risk of dying in the next 12 months.  At age 60 that's about 1%, and gets higher as you get older.  Obviously, co-morbidities put these risks up.  Covid risk of dying approximately doubles (or halves) for every 6 years older (or younger) you are.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

My choice is that I don't like exercise or healthy foods and I do like beer and cigarettes (can't afford either at the moment though)

If those things shorten my life that's my fault not anyone elses

So presumably if Covid makes a reappearance over here and you catch it and croak you won't mind because you've made life choices that have encouraged that outcome?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's slightly different because we have limited our arrivals to returning residents, who will normally have somewhere to stay and we appear to have very high levels of compliance.

Really.

Maybe in the stats given out at the press briefings, or even in the daily website releases, there should be a column for arrivals to the Island

- broken down into say residents and essential workers.

With those essential workers broken down into say health workers and 'other'.

These figures are readily available aren't they.

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Exactly.  If I die I die.  Same.way as I take a risk everytime I get out of bed and walk down the stairs.

Even if it's within the next six months because, for instance, border restrictions were lifted and the virus was brought in?

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Even if it's within the next six months because, for instance, border restrictions were lifted and the virus was brought in?

Yep.

I am in no way scared of COVID (I actually think I had it, I spent most of the 6 weeks prior to the borders closing in the UK and europe)

The only person I would be bothered if they caught it is my mum, but she is in her 80s and due a vaccine.  She also hasn't been out of the house during either lockdown.

She is very much of the opinion that she has lived her life and if she dies she dies.  She would much rather the border restrictions lifted.

Oh and of course my mother in law.  Also elderly but lives in the UK and due a vaccine pretty imminently as I understand it.  She is desperate to travel here and see her daughter and grandkids (me, she could take or leave 😂)