IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Yep.

I am in no way scared of COVID (I actually think I had it, I spent most of the 6 weeks prior to the borders closing in the UK and europe)

The only person I would be bothered if they caught it is my mum, but she is in her 80s and due a vaccine.  She also hasn't been out of the house during either lockdown.

She is very much of the opinion that she has lived her life and if she dies she dies.  She would much rather the border restrictions lifted.

Oh and of course my mother in law.  Also elderly but lives in the UK and due a vaccine pretty imminently as I understand it.  She is desperate to travel here and see her daughter and grandkids (me, she could take or leave 😂)

Just checked and that's not quite true.  I thought the borders had closed earlier in March than they did.

Last trip was Manchester and back on 28th of Feb.

In the 8 weeks prior to that I did Manchester 6 times, London 4, Liverpool 3, Brussels 2, Madrid 1, Dublin 1, Reading 1.

So 19 trips off island 1/1 to 28/2 2020

No wonder I am going stir crazy

Edited by horatiotheturd

26 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Nobody said all of

You said "most of them would have died in the last 12 months anyway"; Banker said: "Vast majority of over 80s certainly would have done".  Those simply aren't true and the figures prove it. 

If it was anything like true, the one place we would expect to see this would in care homes.  The excess deaths that we saw in the Spring would be balanced by few than average being seen in the Summer and Autumn.  But if you look at the latest ONS figures that simply didn't happen:

image.png.28abd5100cf4d4d870011610d56185d4.png

The vast majority would not died later the same year - they clearly didn't.  And the overall excess deaths figure for 2020 being the highest for 75 years shows that.

58 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve just looked up the Ogden tables, an actuarially based life expectancy table used in courts, that provide for all expected contingencies and mortalities.

80. Male. It’s 9 years

80. Female. It’s 11 years.

Probably not with underlying health conditions 

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Different view on the elimination strategy of Howie from Jersey medical team.

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey-news/elimination-strategy-suggestion-rejected/

Crazy talk ... allow people to live relatively normal lives when all the over 50's have been vaccinated (covering 99% of the population who would be susceptible to life threatening symptoms).

Who'd suggest such a whacky notion, clearly a Covid crank!

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Crazy talk ... allow people to live relatively normal lives when all the over 50's have been vaccinated (covering 99% of the population who would be susceptible to life threatening symptoms).

This is inevitably where we will end up to avoid losing out to other jurisdictions.

The longer it takes Howard to show the mass panic public the benefits and the reasons why then the longer it will take us to get there.

Scotland today said all care home residents and over 70s to have first dose of vaccine by mid Feb.  Thats 3 weeks from now.  We will still be building swanky vaccination hubs and double checking paperwork.

We are in real danger of ending up behind other jurisdictions despite starting from pole position a few weeks ago.

Its embarrassing.

13 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Jersey are starting from a different baseline.  Last time I saw figures it was pretty rife there - not UK rife, admittedly - so not likely to be locally eliminated with a few weeks' lockdown.  Be interesting to see how it pans out in Guernsey in the next few days.

Elimination is best if achievable - for example, how did you prefer life here from, say, July-December compared with the last couple of weeks? Once we have all the vulnerable and aged vaccinated then I agree with you that borders should be opened and just get on with it.  Do that too soon though and you end up with a UK-like situation with impending health service failure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably not with underlying health conditions 

The problem with the phrase 'underlying health conditions' is that 'health condition' is not a binary variable.  There's a world of difference between someone with COPD on home oxygen, and someone with a touch of exercise induced asthma after running 10k in the cold weather.  They both have 'underlying health conditions'

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Jersey are starting from a different baseline.  Last time I saw figures it was pretty rife there - not UK rife, admittedly - so not likely to be locally eliminated with a few weeks' lockdown.  Be interesting to see how it pans out in Guernsey in the next few days.

Elimination is best if achievable - for example, how did you prefer life here from, say, July-December compared with the last couple of weeks? Once we have all the vulnerable and aged vaccinated then I agree with you that borders should be opened and just get on with it.  Do that too soon though and you end up with a UK-like situation with impending health service failure.

I’m with you 100%

• Like 2

Personally I would rather be living in Jersey right now.

Howard really needs to give a finite timeline to when our over 70s are vaccinated and a clear direction on what happens to borders on that date.

Talking about the end of May is ridiculous and far too long.

Anyone who doesn't like it can stay living in their bubbles.  Maybe make shopping on different days for people in bubbles with masks and those of us who want a normal life.

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Personally I would rather be living in Jersey right now.

Howard really needs to give a finite timeline to when our over 70s are vaccinated and a clear direction on what happens to borders on that date.

Talking about the end of May is ridiculous and far too long.

Anyone who doesn't like it can stay living in their bubbles.  Maybe make shopping on different days for people in bubbles with masks and those of us who want a normal life.

When you say open the borders, do you mean

Open to everyone, no isolation and no tests? Free for all?

Or open to Manxies going off and returning, along with anyone with a vaguely Manx connection?

or what?

And to the extent it’s necessary only the vulnerable need to wear masks, or everyone? And distancing? And capacity limits on pubs, restaurants, public places?