IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

When you say open the borders, do you mean

Open to everyone, no isolation and no tests? Free for all?

Or open to Manxies going off and returning, along with anyone with a vaguely Manx connection?

or what?

And to the extent it’s necessary only the vulnerable need to wear masks, or everyone? And distancing? And capacity limits on pubs, restaurants, public places?

I'd open to everyone, no isolation. 

I'm not convinced we are going to be awash with visitors aside family reunions.

No TT, no MGP, no rally, in fact - fuck all.

Edited by Nom de plume

Just now, wrighty said:

A moment ago you quoted me saying you were with me 100%. I said elimination here was best, and get on with it once all over 50s were vaccinated. Which is it?

I'm with you in your closing remarks:

"Once we have all the vulnerable and aged vaccinated then I agree with you that borders should be opened and just get on with it."

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

A moment ago you quoted me saying you were with me 100%. I said elimination here was best, and get on with it once all over 50s were vaccinated. Which is it?

Personally I’m in the once over 50s done get on with it and any anti Vaxxers take your chances 

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm with you in your closing remarks:

"Once we have all the vulnerable and aged vaccinated then I agree with you that borders should be opened and just get on with it."

So not 100% then. What should we do right now, given we’ve (hopefully) eliminated local transmission again, and the UK is a covid cess-pit?

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

So would I, but can't see the public or government going with it.

Let everyone in from tomorrow if they follow the existing testing and isolation.

We clearly wouldn't be overrun as people would have to really want to come here, but noone would be excluded.

Everything else back to how it was before Christmas.

In addition I would use an app to help if it did become an issue like New Zealand have this week, but apparently that's a stupid idea that for some reason most of the rest of the world have adopted.

Once we finally get vaccines rolled out then require a negative test pre travel and another after 48 hours with no isolation.  Then gradually do away with those as well.

Personally I would have had open borders with the current testing an isolation from last October and honestly don't think we would have seen any issues and probably wouldn't have had the last lockdown.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

So not 100% then. What should we do right now, given we’ve (hopefully) eliminated local transmission again, and the UK is a covid cess-pit?

After we exit Lockdown II, as is until all 50's and above vaccinated.

Then I'm afraid all bets are off (we'll have been at it 14 months by then).

Edited by Nom de plume

24 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Personally I would rather be living in Jersey right now.

Howard really needs to give a finite timeline to when our over 70s are vaccinated and a clear direction on what happens to borders on that date.

Talking about the end of May is ridiculous and far too long.

Anyone who doesn't like it can stay living in their bubbles.  Maybe make shopping on different days for people in bubbles with masks and those of us who want a normal life.

Really? They have been in lockdown since before Christmas. Prior to that, they had social distancing and masks all summer. Sure, they had a few tourists, but nothing like normal. 

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Once we get all over 50s, etc vaccinated, allow people to sponsor friends and family to come over. Reinstate social distancing. If that works and new cases are manageable, open to a limited number of tourists, with social distancing. If cases are manageable then open to all. 

This will allow the virus in and to spread in a managed way and improve / test our herd immunity

16 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

If we do open,fully, and keep, low, low, numbers, with no entry restriction or testing, and no quarantine on return home to UK, I think IOM would be full.

it’ll depend on what the numbers look like in UK and EU. But with UK being a third country I’m expecting pre travel tests and quarantine on return being a requirement for UK to Europe travel all summer long.

Partly because the UK rate is so high and partly because most EU countries are just as out of control. Sitges, just outside Barcelona had 9% of its total diagnoses in 11 months  last week. And vaccination is slow, slow, slow.

They won’t want Brit tourists, but will continue welcoming anyone from within EU/EEA/Schengen/Schengen Associated states. But not Brexit Britain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

The post i posted before I saw this is what I would do.

Feel free to tell me what you think is wrong with it.

Your plan is not unreasonable, but I’d worry about compliance with the isolation aspect of it. Especially right now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your plan is not unreasonable, but I’d worry about compliance with the isolation aspect of it. Especially right now.

They've just quoted exactly that on the news. UK isolation compliance is as low as 25%.

I don't think we should be rushing to open the borders to UK while Hancock is saying "we're a long, long, long way' from lockdown measures easing".

I'd be more than happy if we can get back to where we were last summer, whilst everyone around us sorts themselves out. They seem to have no control over the situation at all, or their population.

(I have family members that I want to visit across, but not while the situation over there is so dire)

• Like 1