IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

42 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Personally I would rather be living in Jersey right now.

Howard really needs to give a finite timeline to when our over 70s are vaccinated and a clear direction on what happens to borders on that date.

Talking about the end of May is ridiculous and far too long.

Anyone who doesn't like it can stay living in their bubbles.  Maybe make shopping on different days for people in bubbles with masks and those of us who want a normal life.

I'd be shocked if the UK will be anywhere near normal by May. I'd be surprised if we get to Level 2 borders (no isolation) at any point this year, it'll still be bandying about quite happily over there. Enough to be incompatible with our scheme of elimination.

The approach will be to relax things to the least they can get away with there without filling the hospitals too much, almost in a yo-yo fashion.

Another day of no cases. 13 days since last community transmission. The test for lifting lockdown is supposed to be 14 days community transmission free. 

Todays press conference cancelled. Wonder if they’ll call a late one tomorrow or Wednesday and end lockdown early?

• Like 1

Just now, John Wright said:

Another day of no cases. 13 days since last community transmission. The test for lifting lockdown is supposed to be 14 days community transmission free. 

Todays press conference cancelled. Wonder if they’ll call a late one tomorrow or Wednesday and end lockdown early?

Bloody hell I hope not, I haven't finished my housework yet!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Bloody hell I hope not, I haven't finished my housework yet!

Housework? I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp philosophy of house work.

There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse. ...don’t make beds and only wash plates after eggs or kippers

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I'd be shocked if the UK will be anywhere near normal by May. I'd be surprised if we get to Level 2 borders (no isolation) at any point this year, it'll still be bandying about quite happily over there. Enough to be incompatible with our scheme of elimination.

The approach will be to relax things to the least they can get away with there without filling the hospitals too much, almost in a yo-yo fashion.

Why does it matter what the UK situationis if people are isolating on their own and need three clear tests before they are allowed out.

It doesn't.  It only becomes an issue of those people traveling here become so ill while isolating that they need hospital treatment.

The odds of that happening are tiny.

Say 500 people a day coming in, the odds of them also being in the very small percentage of the UK population who need hospital treatment are tiny.

Then factor in the the high risk people wouldn't be travelling anyway and the odds are even smaller.  Small enough to not be worthy of consideration 

24 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Reinstate social distancing.

Problem with that is, long term, for the already hard-hit hospitality sector, non-essential shops etc., it's hard for some of them to make a living as they'd be so restricted in the numbers they can hold. That's why continual cycles of lockdowns here would be a disaster for a lot of businesses like this (and suppliers linked to them). Back to how we were pre-Christmas and let the local economy get back up and running. 

Slight tangent, but I don't know why people obsess about the borders, not being able to see family etc. My family live in the UK (Scotland) - 30 miles between two households. But for the last few months they've hardly been able to see each other due to the stay local/lockdown restrictions. They are still in the position they are in because of people moving about, breaking the rules. We are in an enviable position here in that we can control it. So why would we want to open up to one of the worst affected areas in the world?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Problem with that is, long term, for the already hard-hit hospitality sector, non-essential shops etc., it's hard for some of them to make a living as they'd be so restricted in the numbers they can hold. That's why continual cycles of lockdowns here would be a disaster for a lot of businesses like this (and suppliers linked to them). Back to how we were pre-Christmas and let the local economy get back up and running. 

Slight tangent, but I don't know why people obsess about the borders, not being able to see family etc. My family live in the UK (Scotland) - 30 miles between two households. But for the last few months they've hardly been able to see each other due to the stay local/lockdown restrictions. They are still in the position they are in because of people moving about, breaking the rules. We are in an enviable position here in that we can control it. So why would we want to open up to one of the worst affected areas in the world?

Your last paragraph.  Why cant people grasp that opening the borders doesn't have to mean losing control?

Why not use the enviable position you talk about (the Irish sea) to our adva take for once and imllement something world leading that shows a proper strategy can allow control and travel given we are starting from a clean position.

Uk figures much better today 

Cases

People tested positive 

Latest data provided on 25 January 2021

Daily

Last 7 days 

-78,816 (-25%)

Rate per 100k resident population: 390.5

Also 6.5m vaccinations with c500k in 24 hours which is impressive 

14 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Why does it matter what the UK situationis if people are isolating on their own and need three clear tests before they are allowed out.

It doesn't.  It only becomes an issue of those people traveling here become so ill while isolating that they need hospital treatment.

The odds of that happening are tiny.

Say 500 people a day coming in, the odds of them also being in the very small percentage of the UK population who need hospital treatment are tiny.

Then factor in the the high risk people wouldn't be travelling anyway and the odds are even smaller.  Small enough to not be worthy of consideration 

But that’s not an open border

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Cases

People tested positive 

Daily

Last 7 days 

-78,816 (-25%)

It’s Monday, they always are. It’ll be record breaking deaths tomorrow, probably. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cases

People tested positive 

Daily

Last 7 days 

-78,816 (-25%)

Two things

1. it’s always substantially lower on Mondays ( it is Monday, isn’t it? )

2. It’s only one dose. They’re now looking at single dose only being 33% effective now. And they’ve no idea what it might increase to with 2nd dose in week 12

• Thanks 1