IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Why not use the enviable position you talk about (the Irish sea) to our adva take for once and imllement something world leading that shows a proper strategy can allow control and travel given we are starting from a clean position.

The border is our control point yes. But start opening up to more people and you increase the risk. I think by now people know that it doesn't take much for things to start to get out of control again though. How do you make it 100% watertight? You can't. People will ignore isolation - fact - so how do you stop that happening? You could look at the Australia model of quarantine. But that's not practical if you're talking a more open border. We still know relatively little about the virus/incubation/transmission - we are still learning - fact. The IOM can't afford more/repeated lockdowns - fact. If you could make it 100% then yes, but I don't see how you can.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Housework? I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp philosophy of house work.

There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse. ...don’t make beds and only wash plates after eggs or kippers

Jo Brand's approach to housework is the one I follow.   "Fuck it, that'll do......."   

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s Monday, they always are. It’ll be record breaking deaths tomorrow, probably. 

+1. You can't rely on the Monday figures for accuracy in the overall picture, it's long been that way due to the lag in weekend reporting. Tuesday's and even Wednesday's figures will provide a more accurate picture.

15 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Was the border open or closed in November 2020 for Manx residents?

What do call a closed border. It’ll be open for Manx residents on Monday just like it was in November, and every day since then. Just with added testing.

18 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The border is our control point yes. But start opening up to more people and you increase the risk. I think by now people know that it doesn't take much for things to start to get out of control again though. How do you make it 100% watertight? You can't. People will ignore isolation - fact - so how do you stop that happening? You could look at the Australia model of quarantine. But that's not practical if you're talking a more open border. We still know relatively little about the virus/incubation/transmission - we are still learning - fact. The IOM can't afford more/repeated lockdowns - fact. If you could make it 100% then yes, but I don't see how you can.

How is 14 days , 3 tests, ankle tags not 100% tight.

Where has a similar setup been tried to show it doesn't work?

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Exactly

Hiu said my proposal wasn't an open border.  It is, its exactly what you just posted above but for everyone 

OK. You want anyone to be able to come as long as they do 14 days and take 3 tests. That isn’t an open border.

Just now, John Wright said:

OK. You want anyone to be able to come as long as they do 14 days and take 3 tests. That isn’t an open border.

It is.  Same as you said yourself its open for manx residents.

Maybe not in lawyer speak, but most people in the context of a discussion about borders since covid on the island wojld call that an open border in that there is absolutely no restriction on who can cross it.