IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Oh - also Guernsey have a testing regime like ours now (some may say we copied it) so how has their new outbreak occurred? Much more widespread community seeding than our recent community cases...

38 new cases in last 24 hours. Now at 52 active cases. That’s 1 more than our highest in wave 2.  In Manx terms that’d be 51 in 24 hours and a total of 70 head for head.

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Not the same regime though is it, and without tracking people they don't know if someone broke isolation 

Test on day 1 and 13 to leave isolation - pretty similar to be honest. And how do you 'track' people as you put it? Please elaborate... There will always be that one person who breaks the rules unless you go down the Australia route.

1 minute ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Test on day 1 and 13 to leave isolation - pretty similar to be honest. And how do you 'track' people as you put it? Please elaborate... There will always be that one person who breaks the rules unless you go down the Australia route.

Ankle bracelets. Leave the house and it  informs the police.

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

Possibly but the rates are 25% down on a weekly basis so that’s positive.

Cases are definitely on the way down. They’re at about the peak of daily deaths - if they’re not a bit lower tomorrow than last Tuesday they will be next. 

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

And that is an open border? OK... I am sure people will be queuing up for that.

I could name you 15 that would be her tomorrow given the chance.

I don't think it should be that severe but if that's what it took to allow people to come in and keep the ill informed Facebook and twitter crowd happy then there are lots that would do it.

Seems a reasonable compromise to me.  I don't see why anyone who realy wants to come would have an issue with it

Edited by horatiotheturd

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I don't think it should be that severe but if that's what it took to allow people to come in and keep the ill informed Facebook and twitter crowd happy then there are lots that would do it.

Seems a reasonable compromise to me.  I don't see why anyone who realy wants to come would have an issue with it

So how are these 15 people getting here then? Travelling through the UK to get a flight/ferry? When people are being asked to stay at home and not travel unnecessarily? I get it for compassionate travel but not for holidays/visiting family.

As I've said above - my family living 30 miles apart in Scotland have only seen each other 3 or 4 times in the last 10 months (that was during the very brief relaxation and on Christmas day). So why should we think it sensible or appropriate to allow a potentially increased number of people to travel here at the present time?

People need to be a little less selfish and a little more cognisant of doing the right thing for the greater good.

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Level 3 is essentially family or sponsored business with 14 days isolation. The figures given were that that'll happen when the UK is at 1 in 2000 infected or below if I recall correctly.

Ankle tags are a great idea if you've got the infrastructure and capacity. But how do you manage the risk of the poor sod having to put them on potentially infectious people? Who do you staff to monitor it? What if the tagee is going to be staying in a cottage with no mobile coverage? etc. etc.

The more people you have coming in, the more likely you get one of those immaculate seedings of the virus, where someone suddenly becomes infectious after several weeks. This has happened twice so far in NZ.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/24/new-zealand-detects-first-community-virus-case-in-two-months

To be prepared for that on the island, you need the appropriate mitigations in place. You may argue about the cost, but look at the cost of even a 3 week lockdown. We'd need to have a track and trace app up and running, to cover off quickly any close contacts if that did happen.

Just now, Capt_Mainwaring said:

So how are these 15 people getting here then? Travelling through the UK to get a flight/ferry? When people are being asked to stay at home and not travel unnecessarily? I get it for compassionate travel but not for holidays/visiting family.

As I've said above - my family living 30 miles apart in Scotland have only seen each other 3 or 4 times in the last 10 months (that was during the very brief relaxation and on Christmas day). So why should we think it sensible or appropriate to allow a potentially increased number of people to travel here at the present time?

People need to be a little less selfish and a little more cognisant of doing the right thing for the greater good.

Get in car, drive to Heysham. Easy.  No different to driving to tesco.

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Level 3 is essentially family or sponsored business with 14 days isolation. The figures given were that that'll happen when the UK is at 1 in 2000 infected or below if I recall correctly.

Ankle tags are a great idea if you've got the infrastructure and capacity. But how do you manage the risk of the poor sod having to put them on potentially infectious people? Who do you staff to monitor it? What if the tagee is going to be staying in a cottage with no mobile coverage? etc. etc.

The more people you have coming in, the more likely you get one of those immaculate seedings of the virus, where someone suddenly becomes infectious after several weeks. This has happened twice so far in NZ.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/24/new-zealand-detects-first-community-virus-case-in-two-months

To be prepared for that on the island, you need the appropriate mitigations in place. You may argue about the cost, but look at the cost of even a 3 week lockdown. We'd need to have a track and trace app up and running, to cover off quickly any close contacts if that did happen.

Ankle tags are a doddle to roll out.  How on earth is someone putting them on someone anymore at risk that the people testing all the positive people.  Its a non issue.

New Zealand let all returnees isolate in hotels so risk a day one person infecting someone about to leave.  We dont

With our "global" reputation for jailing people for isolation breach already, I could see the world's press having a field day with visitors having to isolate whilst wearing ankle tags. Welcome to Prison Island....

• Like 1

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Don't pull that one.  90 percent of the cars on the road are non essential travel.

Anyway. Same applied right through last summer and autumn when thatbwast an issue so it's not a reason for our backward approach.

It may be an excuse for it now, but we weren't letting people in even when the situation was a lot better