IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

56 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

My point is that we need to be in a position where we can manage eventual outbreaks, rather than having to shut down every time we have a cluster.

This is true - the issue is we haven’t come far enough with the vaccinating yet. I’d rather do a few ‘circuit breakers’ than let it run out of control and be in the position England find themselves in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Resistance is relative. It’s unlikely, perhaps impossible, that the virus mutates such that it is completely unaffected by the immune response generated by current vaccines. 
I have thought that the optimum vaccination strategy would be a single dose followed by deliberate infection a few weeks later. Should cover all bases, but probably impractical ;)

That response is surely irresponsible from a Medic

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I just thought I'd post this link re hotel isolation and how it works around the world.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-do-hotel-quarantines-work-around-the-world-12198716?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

I'd have thought that this would be a good way of supporting the hospitality sector whilst assisting in free movement?

Yep, as expressed by many at the time, the Comis Covid was a good move and ahead of its time.

Well done those from IoMGovernment for sticking their ground. It was moves like that that gave us 6 months freedom.

ETA:

The link makes interesting reading.

The Isle of Man could reinvent itself as a near-to-UK-but-not-UK 'paradise' holiday destination.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Resistance is relative. It’s unlikely, perhaps impossible, that the virus mutates such that it is completely unaffected by the immune response generated by current vaccines. 
I have thought that the optimum vaccination strategy would be a single dose followed by deliberate infection a few weeks later. Should cover all bases, but probably impractical ;)

28 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

That response is surely irresponsible from a Medic

Immunologically it’d probably be really effective - an initial vaccine to give protection against getting seriously ill from the virus, followed by the ultimate in immunological booster in the form of the full virus generating immunity to other aspects of the virus apart from the spike protein, as well as cell mediated immunity plus memory. 

Back in the day I did a degree in immunology before becoming a bone-setter. The somewhat tongue-in-cheek nature of my suggestion was hinted at by the winky emoji. You clearly didn’t get that but even so, I don’t think my response is ‘irresponsible’. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Immunologically it’d probably be really effective - an initial vaccine to give protection against getting seriously ill from the virus, followed by the ultimate in immunological booster in the form of the full virus generating immunity to other aspects of the virus apart from the spike protein, as well as cell mediated immunity plus memory. 

Back in the day I did a degree in immunology before becoming a bone-setter. The somewhat tongue-in-cheek nature of my suggestion was hinted at by the winky emoji. You clearly didn’t get that but even so, I don’t think my response is ‘irresponsible’. 

Don't worry, Wrighty, most of the rest of us understood.

• Like 2

Having given up on Manx Radio some time ago I listen to the BBC Radio 4 Today programme. 

This morning, they interviewed Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi, a recording of Boris Johnson, and Jeremy Hunt the Chair of the Health Select Committee. These guys are just waffle and bluster. I realise that is a supposedly  quaint trait of Boris, but this is a pandemic, and they are all at it. They are floundering.

Say what you like about Howard and Ashie, but certainly by comparison, I have to say they are straight talking and sensible. The IoMGov has a good grip on the Covid situation. So credit where it is due.

The UK is an utter basket case. Over 40% not adhering to lockdown and isolation rules, 1000s still pouring into the country each day unchecked, hospitals full and 100,000 Covid dead.

For once and once only, the phrase 'the adjacent Isle' has significance. And don't touch with a barge pole.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Having given up on Manx Radio some time ago I listen to the BBC Radio 4 Today programme. 

This morning, they interviewed Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi, a recording of Boris Johnson, and Jeremy Hunt the Chair of the Health Select Committee. These guys are just waffle and bluster. I realise that is a supposedly  quaint trait of Boris, but this is a pandemic, and they are all at it. They are floundering.

Say what you like about Howard and Ashie, but certainly by comparison, I have to say they are straight talking and sensible. The IoMGov has a good grip on the Covid situation. So credit where it is due.

The UK is an utter basket case. Over 40% not adhering to lockdown and isolation rules, 1000s still pouring into the country each day unchecked, hospitals full and 100,000 Covid dead.

For once and once only, the phrase 'the adjacent Isle' has significance. And don't touch with a barge pole.

68.000.000 verses 84.000 on a Island surrounded by water only 2 access points  people who have complied as requested and if they dared to flout the law ended up in prison, yes I can see the comparison FFS get a grip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

68.000.000 verses 84.000 on a Island surrounded by water only 2 access points  people who have complied as requested and if they dared to flout the law ended up in prison, yes I can see the comparison FFS get a grip.

OK, laddie, how about you take a grip. FFS.

UK is surrounded by erm, water too, H2fuckingO.

UK has Covid laws in place.

UK has a police force.

UK people - nearly half  don't comply, don't care, know better.

UK is a fucking basket case.

Go back and see for yourself.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1