IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Long Covid -potential symptoms and management advice.

Managing the long term effects of covid-19: summary of NICE, SIGN, and RCGP rapid guideline

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n136?int_source=trendmd

Can't make link work - suggest copy and paste. Sorry.

Edited by Apple
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Isn't this the use of terminology which leads to misinterpretation and was debated at length months ago?  Calling positive tests 'cases' implies that they are symptomatic, but we have been told many times that there is a high percentage of those positives who actually suffer no symptoms which is why it spreads and why total lockdowns are effective.  

So if we were given complete information, the stats that Zarley quoted would apply to those displaying symptoms would they not? Ie a percentage of a percentage of 3.8 million cases, or have I missed the point?

A lot of those "cases" are asymptomatic, they aren't people who were tested because they were ill, a lot of them are people who were routinely tested at work or close contacts, or hospital admissions who without  a test wouldn't show up on the radar at all 

The point was if that is what we call a case, and then work out how many end up ill as a result of being a case, its grosley inaccurate because actually several times that number would have been "casses" if they happened to work in places that did regular testing or had been tested for another reason.

Dont forget that of those included in that figure lots were only found out to be positive because they were tested in hospital where they happened to be for other reasons, so as well as being a "case" Dave who crashed his car but turned out to be positive actually shows as a hospital case as well.

Of all the people I know who have "had" COVId on and off island, I can only think of two who were tested because they showed symptoms, the rest were all tested through their work or as close contacts or because they needed to travel 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marion Costel said:

Layers experts on human rights legislation have concluded that imposing hotel quarantine on travelers indiscriminately and without proof that they are being infectious explicitly violates the EU human rights charter.

Human rights are one thing, but what about our responsibilities as humans and members of society? Perhaps they should come up with a Human Responsibilities Charter as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Human rights are one thing, but what about our responsibilities as humans and members of society? Perhaps they should come up with a Human Responsibilities Charter as well.

if humanity wiped out 90% of itself that would be good for every other species and the planet in general, we are a plague that doesn't reproduce to the limits of our available. resources.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

A lot of those "cases" are asymptomatic, they aren't people who were tested because they were ill, a lot of them are people who were routinely tested at work or close contacts, or hospital admissions who without  a test wouldn't show up on the radar at all 

The point was if that is what we call a case, and then work out how many end up ill as a result of being a case, its grosley inaccurate because actually several times that number would have been "casses" if they happened to work in places that did regular testing or had been tested for another reason.

Dont forget that of those included in that figure lots were only found out to be positive because they were tested in hospital where they happened to be for other reasons, so as well as being a "case" Dave who crashed his car but turned out to be positive actually shows as a hospital case as well.

Of all the people I know who have "had" COVId on and off island, I can only think of two who were tested because they showed symptoms, the rest were all tested through their work or as close contacts or because they needed to travel 

I know lots of people who have had it off island by testing positive through symptoms. One particular family I'm close friends with had it rear through them: infecting 12 of them, killed one of the grandparents, left the other bed ridden probably for the rest of her life, 4 of them have long covid one with mental issues as well the physical issues. Only 3 escaped with no symptoms. The family live in three separate households, in three different towns and didn't catch it from mingling with one another.

On the flipside four children of colleagues who went away to uni caught it virtually straight away and had relatively mild cases and recovered quickly. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Enlighten me then, if it's so widespread why are we panicking so much? Is the 100k nothing to worry about?

The ONS data for 2020 shows a total death rate for the UK of 10.2 per 1,000 - higher than it has been in the last few years but still only the highest crude mortality rate since 2003. It might have been higher without lockdowns - we’ll never know. But we are getting a pretty good  idea of the financial and social effects as well as the consequential problems with mental health and other medical situations.

Most of us, in the first world, live comfortably because legions of “essential workers” are out there making sure the power, heat, water, communications are on and Waitrose is delivering. Vaccinating those people we insist should go to work would be a sensible use of resources while the retired (and most susceptible) sit at home and spend their pensions.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WTF said:

if humanity wiped out 90% of itself that would be good for every other species and the planet in general, we are a plague that doesn't reproduce to the limits of our available. resources.

The world population has doubled in less than 50 years.  Clearly not sustainable and a bit of reduction of some of the old and weak wouldn't be a bad thing for the planet in general. 

Not a view that would likely garner much support from the masses though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

The world population has doubled in less than 50 years.  Clearly not sustainable and a bit of reduction of some of the old and weak wouldn't be a bad thing for the planet in general. 

Not a view that would likely garner much support from the masses though

Should we start sterilising a portion of the population as well? 

6 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I know lots of people who have had it off island by testing positive through symptoms. One particular family I'm close friends with had it rear through them: infecting 12 of them, killed one of the grandparents, left the other bed ridden probably for the rest of her life, 4 of them have long covid one with mental issues as well the physical issues. Only 3 escaped with no symptoms. The family live in three separate households, in three different towns and didn't catch it from mingling with one another.

On the flipside four children of colleagues who went away to uni caught it virtually straight away and had relatively mild cases and recovered quickly. 

Just shows how we can have different experiences.

The people I know are pretty much all family (young, in their 20s and 30s) acquaintances I have made through working in a number of industries (nearly all men aged between 30 and 50) or people i met back in the days when I did a bit of competitive cycling (all 30 to 50 and if not into fitness now they were 15 years ago)

Most didn't even pass it on to people in their house, or if they did it never showed up either via symptoms or testing.