IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

37 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

You'll do well to convince me that we shouldn't be shielding the vulnerable until they are vaccinated whilst the rest of us crack on.

You keep saying that, without explaining how the vulnerable shield effectively without everyone connected with them (carers, relatives, co-workers etc) and thus everyone connected to them (relatives of carers, children of co-workers etc ad nauseam) shielding also, such that effectively everyone is shielding i.e. lockdown.

It really is the only way, until such time as we're vaccinated.  Otherwise you end up like the UK - they're shielding the vulnerable while everyone (unofficially at least) just 'cracks on' by ignoring the rules if they feel ok.  Is that what you want?

I agree though to some extent - once your most vulnerable cohorts are covered, let's get on with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Whilst that is true, how many other infectious diseases do the UK and we routinely test people for even without any symptoms.

If there was, heaven forbid, an outbreak of polio or smallpox, in an area where vaccination levels were ultra low, there’d be track + trace of contacts and then testing.

We, IOM & UK are very lucky that we don’t, generally, have pandemics of infectious diseases, mainly due to vaccination.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear Nazir Afzal's comments (respected solicitor & former Chief Crown prosecutor for NW England) on BBC TV this morning. He is considering taking legal action against Boris Johnson following the death of one of his relatives from covid.

Worth reading some of the tweets :

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1354130875408142338

Edited by dreamon

When Boris says: "As prime minister, I take full responsibility for everything that the government has done," then there are going to be lawyers salivating and frothing at the mouth everywhere.

44 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I am not aware of ever being routinely checked for any of those just because I had been to Liverpool.  Might not have been a bad shout on some occasions though.

You may not have needed them to go to Liverpool (although coming back it might be different!) but the point is that they are infectious diseases that are screened for in asymptomatic people at certain times, so testing asymptomatic people is not that unusual, depending on the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Newbie said:

You may not have needed them to go to Liverpool (although coming back it might be different!) but the point is that they are infectious diseases that are screened for in asymptomatic people at certain times, so testing asymptomatic people is not that unusual, depending on the circumstances.

We swab for MRSA all the time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

Maybe this kind of presentation could've been happening months ago. Very refreshing that it's not the usual staid and uninspiring format. The ladies are doing a grand job...

Yes some good questions & answers, interesting someone asked when was the pandemic plan last updates and answer was it's a pandemic influenza plan which was updated in February 2020 and its controlled by Home Affairs i.e. cregeen !!!