IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

What figures are you using that make you think ICU would be "totally overwhelmed"

If we had been in exactly the same position as UK last week we would have had six in ICU

It's very hard to know, we shouldn't be in the same position as the UK because we did lock down, they tried to keep the country open.

What is worrying is the way the NHS has been caught out, particularly in the UK. If we care to remember, we have over the past two decades, had several incidences of the NHS being overwhelmed, ICU beds being full, operations being cancelled, mortuaries being full and refrigerated trucks being used to store bodies. The difference is that many beds have been removed to giving space to Covid patients and we have over those two decades, increased our population by 9m. The NHS has been unable to plan in the way it should for natural population growth, this has made things worse.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Because we have exactly the same population make up as the UK? 

Demographics isn't your strong point...

Our population is small enough that any difference made up by a slightly older population would be less than one person in ICU.

I assume you are talking about an older population?

What about the fact that the UK have a lot more people living in poverty than we do?  Would that not swing things back the other way?

A lot more homeless?

A lot more people living ontop of each other in crappy houses?

Then factor in all their illegals who aren't  even registered as residents.

Edited by horatiotheturd

34 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

What figures are you using that make you think ICU would be "totally overwhelmed"

If we had been in exactly the same position as UK last week we would have had six in ICU

The rise in patients in the second wave has been exponential. People tend to be in hospital with it for up to 3 weeks or sometimes much longer - so those few ICU beds we have would have been overwhelmed between November and now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

The rise in patients in the second wave has been exponential. People tend to be in hospital with it for up to 3 weeks or sometimes much longer - so those few ICU beds we have would have been overwhelmed between November and now.

They wouldn't.  Look up the actual figures and then adjust for our population

In the exact same situation they are in and at the worst point when adjusted for population we would be fine.

I wouldn't want to see it happen, but you are simply scaremongering.  Presumably based on an article in the mail

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

They wouldn't.  Look up the actual figures and then adjust for our population

In the exact same situation they are in and at the worst point when adjusted for population we would be fine.

I wouldn't want to see it happen, but you are simply scaremongering.  Presumably based on an article in the mail

Disagree. They have many hospitals and much more expert capacity. We have one hospital and very limited expert capacity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You'd be hard pressed to pass on STDs by breathing on someone though, that's the big difference.

My Mrs didn't believe that one either:D

Edited by piebaps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Disagree. They have many hospitals and much more expert capacity. We have one hospital and very limited expert capacity.

Rubbish

Last week in UK just under 40,000 in hospital, and just under 5,000 in ICU.

So by being generous and rounding up to those figures, then add a couple of million on to their population as well to be on the safe side.  Call it 68 million.  Work out the percentages.

Then apply to a population of 86,000.

50 in hospital and 6 in ICU.

Then account for the fact that those figures are "with" COVID and not "from" COVID

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Rubbish

Last week in UK just under 40,000 in hospital, and just under 5,000 in ICU.

So by being generous and rounding up to those figures, then add a couple of million on to their population as well to be on the safe side.  Call it 68 million.  Work out the percentages.

Then apply to a population of 86,000.

50 in hospital and 6 in ICU.

Then account for the fact that those figures are "with" COVID and not "from" COVID

You're missing the main point...when they were hit by the second wave in the UK, they had far more spare capacity in areas that were then in lower tiers.

e.g. People could be moved across numerous hospitals in the north west to match and balance capacity.

We have one hospital, so here you couldn't move people at all....and there would be a single point of failure once demand exceeded capacity. Remember the word 'exponential'.

Perhaps you could try modelling it with some of those lego bricks and lego people I suspect you still have in your bedroom.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You're missing the main point...when they were hit by the second wave in the UK, they had far more spare capacity in areas that were then in lower tiers.

e.g. People could be moved across numerous hospitals in the north west to match and balance capacity.

We have one hospital, so here you couldn't move people at all....and there would be a single point of failure once demand exceeded capacity. Remember the word 'exponential'.

Perhaps you could try modelling it with some of those lego bricks and lego people I suspect you still have in your bedroom.

I don't need to model anything.

For many reasons we would never get as bad as the UK.

Even if we did we have plenty of hospital space to cope.

50 in hospital and 6 in ICU, probably half of whom would have been there anyway.

Nothing to do with moving people.  We have the space to cope anyway (and would never have to)

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Look at the figures in the UK.  Do the maths, and show me how we wojld be overwhelmed. 

No issue admitting I am wrong if someone can actually evidence it (with numbers, not just perceptions)

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Look at the figures in the UK.  Do the maths, and show me how we wojld be overwhelmed. 

No issue admitting I am wrong if someone can actually evidence it (with numbers, not just perceptions)

Go for it Horatio...don't be frightened by how many bricks you have to start with.

download (4).jpeg

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Yes Horatio, it looks very spacious too!

237318233alt2.webpUnavailable

51jd3pT6z2L.jpg

Happy to admit if I am wrong.

Show me the figures?

I have shown you how I come to the conclusion we would be 50 in hospital and 6 in ICU and how I have gone worst case.

You show me how you think its more.

Looking forward to it and happy to apologise for being a dick when you prove it.