IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

HNWI's don't come to the IOM to spend money. They are looking not to give any away at all if possible. I think they are only worth courting if yhey are bring business or employment here. Do many do that, or is the Island just a place where they limit their losses to the tax man?

Don't get me wrong their tax is very welcome capped as it may be but i sometimes think that HNWI's and their relocation here are looked upon as some sort of financial panacea per se.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I don't think I can help you here. You just don't understand .

So you think it is alright that the DOI can say how much the prom costs £25million.

But if DfE give this company any funding, that is confidential.

You are right I don't understand, and I would never ask you for help.

If you think businesses fail, because thats the nature of business.

Cause and effect is why businesses fail.

The next few months is going to be tha hardest times for businesses on the island.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

So you think it is alright that the DOI can say how much the prom costs £25million.

The next few months is going to be tha hardest times for businesses on the island.

You're not helping yourself here.

Your first link was to an article about Skelly saying about the importance of any business coming here seeking assistance to being jobs.  Which is common sense and probably even more so a reflection on Substance Rules.  Which you went into some rant about what success had been had.  To which I pointed out to you the largest income producing sector on the island would be deemed success.

Suitably corrected, you then changed tack and posted a second link about the enterprise development fund.  To which I pointed out to you that it is governments job to invest and that not all business ideas and ventures are a success.  That is the nature of business.  Some fail no matter how good the idea or intentions.

You stated it should all be published but that makes no sense any wider than the context I gave you about the information on grants etc being available for you to read and digest (which i guy you cant be arsed so it's just easy to moan about stuff you don't understand).

Somehow you've morphed it into budgets of capital infrastructure projects.  Quite how, I don't know.

We can agree on one thing though - it will be tough for businesses on the island but you can add that to businesses everywhere, not just here.

Now more than ever it is important that the island is receptive to new opportunities.  I guess if it was down to people like you we would simply sit there, do nothing and slowly die, but the important thing is we could die economically knowing we spent very little anywhere to appease people like you:thumbsup:

Finally, I don't work for DfE or any government area.  It's just a bit of common sense.  Think about it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

HNWI's don't come to the IOM to spend money. They are looking not to give any away at all if possible. I think they are only worth courting if yhey are bring business or employment here. Do many do that, or is the Island just a place where they limit their losses to the tax man?

Don't get me wrong their tax is very welcome capped as it may be but i sometimes think that HNWI's and their relocation here are looked upon as some sort of financial panacea per se.

Peel Port's Mr. W. being the good example, particularly given that IoM/IoMG have contributed considerably to his wealth via the conditions imposed on SPCo (and the Island in general) in respect of use of Heysham and Liverpool ports.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Some of the HNWIs came to the island and did try to create employment or certainly had plans, in terms of investment within the local society.

The owners of Callows Yard and European Food Brokers (Oddbins etc) being cases in point. Whatever the rights and wrongs, along with the personalities and egos of these individuals, investment was created, and planned. Unfortunately, perhaps these individuals were misguided in their motives, perhaps they should have left their money in the bank, and just maintained a low key presence? 

My final point was the proposed plan to turn a private golf club into a resort, creating jobs and investment. Many of the things which posters on here are looking for. Sadly the shadows of the past  linger heavily.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Bit negative Albert, many do buy large houses, but they require maintaining, improving and subsequent running. Domestic workers, building contractors, kitchen and bathroom suppliers, gardeners etc benefit from their spending power. They also eat out more and regularly use professional services such as accountants, lawyers and financial advisors . A proportion also buy high value items such as jewelry and premium motor vehicles on island. They also tend to be less of a drain on certain community services, choosing private medical treatment and private education over state options.

But that can't be right because there are some on here (and the tax justice network) who simply don't subscribe to trickle-down economics. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't subscribe to trickle down economics, despite having picked up a fair bit of work at a HNWI house over the years.

Hardly surprising really.

Did you get paid? Or was it like wringing money out of a shit strangler?

I know some professional tradespersons - other than plumbers, builders etc who have done work for some HNWIs then really struggled to get paid. The daft thing is their work is top quality standard. Not that I am saying all HNWIs are like that, just some, and I am sure we all know who they are ;)

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Tight git!

Used to cut lawns years ago, a 15 minute cut for a little old lady, straight out with the tea; do full days at a rich persons house not a chance. It's remarkable how I've seen that pattern repeated throughout my working life. The fancier the house you are working at the less chance of a cuppa.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Holte End said:

I think we’ll see another round of grants and subsidies coming out around the time they start drawing down on the £250M aimed at further supporting some industries. That said some places seem to have bounced back really well already but hospitality and retail is going to be tricky in general. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Used to cut lawns years ago, a 15 minute cut for a little old lady, straight out with the tea; do full days at a rich persons house not a chance. It's remarkable how I've seen that pattern repeated throughout my working life. The fancier the house you are working at the less chance of a cuppa.

Teapots begging for a cup of tea every 15 mins - world has gone mad.

• Haha 1